PDA

View Full Version : Fluff vs praticality

Orcboy_Phil
07-11-2008, 13:41
I've recently started putting together the Tallarn army thats been sat in blisters and boxes for about the last year and I've noticed something rather annoying with the list. The basic squad costs 100pts before upgrades using the suggested doctrines. Now I'm wondering if I should take the doctrines that they suggest. I like the Light Infantry doctrine but the Hardened fighter doctrine dosen't seem worth it especially since it can't be bought for the unit I most want it on (roughriders), I could of course use Imperial Armourer 3 but that seems like a rather cheaty way to get more than I've paid for. As for priests they seem especially worthless in a guard army unless you take a Warrior weapons/Harderened fighters list and pray to the emporer that they actually acomplish something.
So what should I do, use doctrines as is, swap out harderened fighters and priests or use the Imperial armoury 3 Tallarn list.

Jack5h1t
07-11-2008, 15:28
The suggested doctrines for Tallern are just that, suggested doctrines. Use whatever you want. My own Vostroyan army uses lots of non suggested doctrines, like rough riders and cameleoline (sp?). Use whatever you feel is right for your army and make up your own fluff to suit.

C

Ubermensch Commander
07-11-2008, 16:05
Well it is your army and minor variations are fine but then you start to lose the flavor of the army. Examples: A stand and shoot Raven Guard Army with no scouts quickly ceases to be a Raven Guard army. Instead its "The-Marines-In-Black-Armor-That-Have-
A-Raven-On-The-Shoulder."
Or any Iyanden army with No Wraithguard.

Granted you could always make up a storyline to justify why they do not fit the mold, but it works best if the story comes before the rules change, so you don't come off sounding like you made up some slipshod story JUST to get some attributes.

Anyway, to the point, Dropping Hardened fighters isnt a big deal. Dropping Priests? Meh, a little bit of a loss of character there but it isn't unreasonable that Tallarns would sometimes leave the loud preachy lunatics behind if they are, say, an advanced infiltrating force.

ehlijen
07-11-2008, 21:13
None of the suggested Tallarn doctrines are special equipment doctrines. That means you have full choice on whether to apply them to any given (eligible) unit or not.

You don't have to give all of them to every unit. Give Sharpshooters to your heavy weapon squads, hardened fighters for your command squads (allowing WS 5 officers and commisars!) and light infantry to those few units you'd like to flank march in.

That said, nobody forces you to take any docrines at all. 90% of army character comes from the unit choices you make, not what special rules thay have.

Lame Duck
07-11-2008, 23:40
Are you sure it cant be bought for rough riders? Or am i thinking of the special equipment doctinres?

ehlijen
08-11-2008, 01:20
It's GI and sentinel units only.

==Me==
08-11-2008, 14:47
Well it is your army and minor variations are fine but then you start to lose the flavor of the army. Examples: A stand and shoot Raven Guard Army with no scouts quickly ceases to be a Raven Guard army. Instead its "The-Marines-In-Black-Armor-That-Have-
A-Raven-On-The-Shoulder."
Or any Iyanden army with No Wraithguard.

Each RG Captain runs his show differently and the chapter adheres to the Codex Astartes. Who's to say that in this particular engagement a gunline is not the best strategic choice? Iyanden puts off using their Wraith constructs as much as possible, only calling them out in dire need (it's just dire need more often now). I prefer if armies to have a preferred way of fighting and theme, so long as it doesn't straightjacket players into one particular build or way to play (see 3.5 Legion lists).

Granted you could always make up a storyline to justify why they do not fit the mold, but it works best if the story comes before the rules change, so you don't come off sounding like you made up some slipshod story JUST to get some attributes.

If the guy doesn't like Priests but wants to play Tallarn, he should change doctrines as it suits his needs, be they game-related, model-related, or fluff-related. It's all equally valid as it is how he derives enjoyment from his investment. There are so many Tallarn regiments out there I'm positive they aren't exactly the same. Use the doctrines you want (while you still can :p) and just make sure your opponent knows what's going on.

Orcboy_Phil
08-11-2008, 17:49
The reason i don't like priests is they don't fit MY image of the Tallarn army. I see them as a fast hitting force that melts away once there mission is complete. I don't see them forming gunlines like traditonal guard nor do I them making foolish last stands at the drop of a hat that a priest would force, prefering to bait the enemy into carefully laid ambushes and traps before once again melting away.