PDA

View Full Version : New to WHFB, need help on WOC sorcerers

Xerseth
07-11-2008, 17:54
Hey guys and gals! I have decided to start playing fantasy(have played 40k for six years), and being a Chaos freak I decided on Warriors of Chaos:evilgrin: I want a heavy magic force with 4 sorcerers and at least 3 of them will be Tzeentch. So what I have done uptil now is asking advise from guys at my gaming club and browsing through the treads/tacticas here on the forum, and this is what I have come up with so far.

1. Sorcerer; Mark of Tzeentch, Bloodskull Pendant - 150
2. Sorcerer; MoT, Chaos Runesword - 155
These guys are going in Marauder units, and can quite safely cast Flickering Fire and hold their own in combat, the Pendant should be more then enough to kill unit champions that I have to challenge and should be quite scary for the enemy heros as well. Same with the Runesword.

3. Sorcerer; MoT, level 2, Disc of Tzeentch,
4. Sorcerer Lord; level 4, Disc,

I don't know what items to give them, but one have to have the Infernal Puppet. Skull of Katam and Book of Secrets sound really good as well, not sold on the Blood of Tzeentch, it must be on the lord if I am to use it in any case. But that is what I am asking you, what should I arm my sorcerers with? And if I am changeing one of them for a Nurgle Sorcerer, then what to arm him with?

Mr_Rose
07-11-2008, 18:52
Remember that the Pendant will only give you one hit in a challenge, but it will be a pretty damn good one.

Sorcerers on Discs are a large gamble; whilst the ability to go anywhere and blow up anything is nice, you're going to have some very difficult choices between protecting your guy and amping his magic up, since cavalry out on their own are very vulnerable.

For #3, drop the disc and give him Bronze armour of zharak(sp?) and the Infernal Puppet, then give the Lord a Conjoined homunculus, the Book of Secrets, Crimson Armour and any magic weapon you can afford. I'm thinking glaive of putrefaction....
#3 is there to protect your lord using the Puppet to modify any miscasts he has to roll because the D6+1 roll caused by the Book is xtra-harsh.

W0lf
07-11-2008, 19:17
Definatly give your sorcerer lord the enchanted shield and eye of tzeentch.

puts him on a 1+ save and 3+ vs ranged which hopefully is the only place hes being attacked by. Mine took 21 S5 hits and survived without losing a wound.

Xerseth
07-11-2008, 20:31
But the Eye of Tzeentch doesn't affect the disc, so he will be shoot off his disc won't he? Or how does the rules work on dividing the hit/wounds on character and steed?

GodlessM
07-11-2008, 20:36
The Disk is a normal cavalry mount and so can't be attacked or wounded.

Your best bet is to take a Level 4 and two Level 2's. Power Familiar and the Book of Secrets are your best items to have. Armour of Morrslieb and the Golden Eye of Tzeentch are also great for protection when combined with the Mark of Tzeentch. You should also consider a Level 2 Sorcerer of Tzeentch or Nurgle on a Chaos Steed with the Chaos Runesword.

Xerseth
07-11-2008, 20:53
Okay so here is the new 4
1. Sorcerer; Mark of Tzeentch, Bloodskull Pendant - 150
2. Sorcerer; Mark of Nurgle, 2nd level, Runesword, Chaos Steed - 206
3. Sorcerer; MoT, 2nd level, Disc, Infernal Puppet, Spell Familiar - 210
4. Sorcerer Lord; MoT, 4th level, Disc, Eye of Tz, Enchanted shield, Skull of Katam, Conjoined Homunculus - 430
I'm wondering if I shouldn't change the Runesword on the Nurgle Sorcerer, he's now pretty mobile and shouldn't be in combat anyway.

Da Boyzz
07-11-2008, 21:23
Are you playing like a 3000 pt game here?

Because you are spening over 996pts on characters!! Herohammer anyone?

I think on top of this, if you take 4 you are really pushing the boundaries in comp scores. So I would say drop one sorcerer and keep them about 700 pts max.

Mr_Rose
07-11-2008, 22:56
Also, you will want a Battle Standard Bearer, but feel free to mark him and slap him on a disc with some appropriate protection...

GodlessM
08-11-2008, 00:01
Chaos gets on fine without BSBs actually

HraTaika
08-11-2008, 07:24
With Neknoh, we came up with this
configuration; it pretty expensive, but
will dominate the magic phase without
doubt.

Sorcerer Lord @ 380pts
Mark of Tzeentch, Disk of Tzeentch
Crown of Everlasting Conquest, Homunculus
Level IV

Sorcerer @ 210pts
Book of Secrets, Golden Eye of Tzeentch
Level II

Sorcerer @ 230pts
Power Familiar, Collar of Khorne,
Third Eye of Tzeentch
Level II

Sorcerer @ 210pts
Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Protection
Level II

Da Boyzz
08-11-2008, 07:31
That is a horrible setup.. FAR too many points spent on characters. You do not need that many to dominate a magic phase. I am sure a good opponent with caddies would take care of the worst spells and for so many points, you will only be introducing a bit of shooting into your army.

HraTaika.. what points level do you plan on running your 4 sorcerers at? since you most likely won't have enough points for a solid army, those characters are gonna be squished hard.

Sidorio
08-11-2008, 08:08
Why do people insist on spending so many points on characters for small games, in 2000pts i don't like to spend much more than 600 on characters as a max. if you want to take lots of sorcerers, get a level 4, a level to and a level 1 scroll caddy. that will provide offense as well as defence.

HraTaika
08-11-2008, 09:40
Sidorio, there is many reasons for it;

First and foremost, by taking lot of characters, the cost of starting a new army is reduced significantly as you don't need to buy a crapload of models to get all those point s spend.

Secondly, characters are an excellent place (for me at least) to really show-off my extensive green-stuffing and conversion skills. Sure, you could convert a whole block of marauders, but do you have any idea how it long it takes to green-stuff 10 tiny faces on a characters armor? O_o

And third, one should always go with the theme of your army. A battle-cry of "WE RIDE THE WINDS OF MAGIC" is somewhat lame if you don't have those four sorcerers in your army. ; )

Da Boyzz, you're just pissed because of your previous topic, chill out.

Anyways;
Each magic phase, I can try casting the gateway with 5 dice, with +1 +D3, giving me a reasonably good chance of getting it off and when I target their strongest units, they will really want to start using their scrolls (if any) to shut it off.

This will then give me (and better yet, they'll target these spells) a chance to get of things such as Pandeamonium, which will be devastating against armies such as Skaven and will give me (in addition to my items) a good chance of getting the Gate for free in their magic phase, without mentioning the synergy with Transmogrification.

I also have a very good way of targeting those nasty swordmasters/greatswords/hammeters and what not, with the Treason. The Flickering Fire is a good and universal spell which is reasonably good against all armies, though those flaming attacks will give some much need staying power against the VC.

Prince Sairion
08-11-2008, 15:11
Wooooooooooo! That's a lot of tragic going on there!

You sure can go to town with all those sorcerors, just got to hope they don't get shot!

In a 2k list I think two is more than enough, one for challenges and one for casting in the same unit.

FOR CHALLENGES
Lv2 Nurgle,
Palanquin
Warrior familiar, Blasphemous amulet, acid ichor. (works best against Elves)

FOR CASTING
Lv2 Tzeentch,
Skull of Katam, Homonculus.

A possible +5 to cast for the Tzeentch guy, with a handy +1 for Nurgle.

Good luck with the flyers!