PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Marine Codex?

Ph4lanx
08-11-2008, 19:15
Hey guys,

Has anyone else found that the back few pages of the new SM Codex is starting to come away from the spine? I don't use the book that often; I like to think I know it quite well, however, while I've been designing my new army, I've been referencing the book almost on a daily basis to get a most efficient army out of it.

The back few pages where the Army List is, is starting to come away from the spine. I was going to take it back to the store tomorrow and ask them to replace it, but then I wondered if all the copies are like this. I've checked the binding, and it seems quite weak at the back compared to the first half of the book.

Anyone else had this problem?

Havock
08-11-2008, 19:17
You're not the first, nor will you be the last. It really is crappy.

zendral
08-11-2008, 19:19
Yup, exactly the same problem.

Ph4lanx
08-11-2008, 19:23
Right, I guess I'll be heading back to the store tomorrow to get another copy. Is this a minority thing or a majority problem? I've never come across it with any other Codices before.

madden
08-11-2008, 19:24
Mine to and the same of all the new dexs and army books i'v got scince deamons my secol tape has been busy.

Bjorn
08-11-2008, 19:28
Right, I guess I'll be heading back to the store tomorrow to get another copy. Is this a minority thing or a majority problem? I've never come across it with any other Codices before.
Dude don't do that

find some place that will wire ring bind it, that way its flips over nice and easy for reference and since it doesn't have a spine, no spine to worry about breaking :)

the1stpip
08-11-2008, 19:29
First ever codex I have had a problem with, and although mine isnt in pieces (I use it rarely) you can already see the stitching between the pages.

A lot of people have complained it about it on here, but as of yet, I have not heard anyone trying to take it back.

Bjorn
08-11-2008, 19:37
First ever codex I have had a problem with, and although mine isnt in pieces (I use it rarely) you can already see the stitching between the pages.

A lot of people have complained it about it on here, but as of yet, I have not heard anyone trying to take it back.
Well mine fell to bits withing moments of leaving the shop. Was very pissed off but the guys offered to pay for me to ring bind it rather than swap it. Since thats what i was gonna do anyway... =)

eek107
08-11-2008, 19:41
I'm concerned about mine. Nothing's fallen out yet but I get the feeling it will eventually.

Only codex I've had a problem with is the IG one actually. One of the pages near the back came out. Although I don't know if that was a bad codex to blame or the guy I lent it to for a game. Having managed to keep it in one piece for several years I wouldn't like to say.

Ph4lanx
08-11-2008, 19:42
Ring binding... Hmm, interesting idea. Never thought of it before.

Any companies in the UK in particular? Does it take long? Expensive? Who do you guys go to for yours?

As a test, I'll take it back anyway and see what they say. Would be good to let Warseer readers know how GW handle it.

HsojVvad
08-11-2008, 21:27
Ring binding... Hmm, interesting idea. Never thought of it before.

Any companies in the UK in particular? Does it take long? Expensive? Who do you guys go to for yours?

As a test, I'll take it back anyway and see what they say. Would be good to let Warseer readers know how GW handle it.

Why not just do it your self? GEt a 3 hole puncher and put it in a binder. Cheaper that way too.

Unless I am not shure what people are meaning by ring Binding.

Occulto
08-11-2008, 21:38

It's happened with a few of mine. First time it happened, all the vets in my group at the time just chuckled. It's been a bit of a running joke, that GW's books fall apart very quickly.

Having said that, the recent books have been pretty good... that is, until SM. GW staff are usually excellent with exchanging defective goods if it's within a reasonable time frame (ie 6 months later might be pushing it).

anuburos
08-11-2008, 21:47
Mine is already falling apart. Quick fix I did was to reinforce the spine with scotch tape on the back few pages. I think I'll just photo copy the armylist section and use that when making my army to decrease the amount of handling to these back pages.

tarrin
08-11-2008, 21:48
happened all of teh 6 copies i have seen.

LeeHarvey
08-11-2008, 22:01
I have the same problem. Actually, it happened to my Tyranid codex, the Space Marines, Chaos Space marines and Chaos Daemons. Come to think of it, almost every codex I've bought has done it within a few days of having them.

Thud
08-11-2008, 22:10
Happened to mine as well. Probably doesn't matter much as Space Marines will probably get a new codex in a couple of months anyway... :p

The Overmind
08-11-2008, 22:13
I don't buy codexes that often, but out of the 4 codexes I have bought, it's happened twice: in the Orks Codex, and the Chaos Space marine codex. The CSM one isn't too bad, but the Ork codex is falling apart at the Heavy Support section. Good thing I'm starting an Eldar army, they seem to be immune to this problem.

I have a theory why they are falling apart. All the newer codexes seem to be packed to the gills with Background information and the Bestiary thing (where they have background on all the different troop types). However, GW hasn't stopped to improve their binding system to hold all the extra pages/weight. There fore the books are just dying.

On a side note, none of the Open Copies at my nearest GW are falling apart... :wtf:

Daemonia
09-11-2008, 04:29
My latest edition of the Chaos Codex has most certainly seen better days. With the recent weakening of new codices (haven't bought an Army book in a long time, don't know if they're having the same problem), I believe the next one I purchase will fall apart if I spend too long staring at it intensely.

redbaron998
09-11-2008, 04:50
Every time a new codex comes out I hear abuot this, I never have had this happen. Although like my books, I am very paranoid about my codexes. I store them spine down in hanging folders and never open them wide enough to crease the spine.

So try that and it may help, or maybe ive just been lucky so far. Ive bought every codex since 3rd edition (and every latest fantasy army book) and have never had one fall apart on me yet.

logosloki
09-11-2008, 04:55
My flatemate has th enew space marine codex, same thing, the back pages are looking a little worse for wear already.

I think this could be that it is the same quality they use with codecii, its just that they have never had anything this ambitious in size before, which has lead to a binding problem.

Seriously, the new codex is huge. Though that being said they could of cut a little bit back on the some of the fanfiction-like writings.

Sidstyler
09-11-2008, 05:57
Happened to mine as well. Probably doesn't matter much as Space Marines will probably get a new codex in a couple of months anyway... :p

Personally I wouldn't care if they did, so long as they replace that atrocious fluff.