PDA

View Full Version : Your experiences - Online Retailers selling GW stuff

Marked_by_chaos
09-11-2008, 19:41
Who are the best retailers selling at discount in the UK?

Have you had any bad experiences or good ones?

I have found a few selling at up to 30% off i.e. miniatures by post, gwonline and gifts for geeks. Are these any good and what would be your recommendations.

parus_ater
09-11-2008, 19:41
Games Arena on ebay. Class!

Brinnyunlimited
09-11-2008, 19:55
I've used www.thebattleshop.co.uk (http://www.thebattleshop.co.uk) a couple of times now - decent prices (around 15% off), free UK shipping and a very quick delivery time.

I've only places three orders over the last couple of months, but so far, so good!

I must admit, I'm put off shopping with the 25% + discounters. I find it's usually the case that these kind of retailers are one-men tax dodgers, selling GW not as a business, but as a hobby. Some of these guys don't even stock the items they sell, instead just effectively only ordering from GW when a customer places an order. That's why when I have a really large order to make worth money I can't afford to lose, I'll shop on the Games Workshop online store. That way I know delivery is going to be quick and if anything goes wrong, GW are held to the distance selling regulations, meaning i'm covered! On the few occassions when something has gone wrong when ordering direct from GW, they've sent me ample freebies as an apology! That kind of peace of mind is well worth the extra few quid you might save on shopping with a dodgy online only discounter.

Just my 2 pence.

Joshwa
10-11-2008, 01:24
Who are the best retailers selling at discount in the UK?

Have you had any bad experiences or good ones?

I have found a few selling at up to 30% off i.e. miniatures by post, gwonline and gifts for geeks. Are these any good and what would be your recommendations.

I bought the Tyranid battleforce for about 40 off Gifts for Geeks, inc. p&p, came in five days. From what i've seen, once you factor in postage costs, most online places seem to give you a discount of about 20%.

Foolish Mortal
10-11-2008, 07:57
I've used maelstrom games a few times - 10 - 15% off, free second class shipping and they do a moneyback scheme as well. Also spending certain amounts gets you extra discount.

I've not had any problems with them so far, but I have never placed any really big orders.

I've also just placed an order with Wargames Workshop, who offer similar discount rates to Maelstrom - never used them before so I'll have to see how it goes.

daemonkin
10-11-2008, 10:48
I've had no problems with NDMiniatures.com (http://www.NDMiniatures.com). Thankfully he is local as well so that saves on postage. Relatively new online store but from what I have heard is always looking to expand. All GW at 20% off RRP as standard.

D.

Charax
10-11-2008, 10:52
I've used maelstrom games a few times - 10 - 15% off, free second class shipping and they do a moneyback scheme as well. Also spending certain amounts gets you extra discount.

I've not had any problems with them so far, but I have never placed any really big orders.

I've also just placed an order with Wargames Workshop, who offer similar discount rates to Maelstrom - never used them before so I'll have to see how it goes.

Funnily enough, I've ordered with WGW and had everything come out perfectly while my order with Maelstrom was an absolute shambles (and their moneyback scheme rather assumes they're going to have repeat business...)

Foolish Mortal
10-11-2008, 11:10
Funnily enough, I've ordered with WGW and had everything come out perfectly while my order with Maelstrom was an absolute shambles (and their moneyback scheme rather assumes they're going to have repeat business...)

Good to hear about your positive experience with WGW - hope mine goes smoothly as well.

Shame about Maelstrom - as I said I've not had any trouble (so far), but sadly there is always that chance with any on-line company.

The moneyback thing is useful, but getting repeat orders kinda relys on not screwing up the first one. :)

BrotherOfBrass
10-11-2008, 11:15
I've used both Maelstrom and Gamers Warehouse. Both give a good discount, have delivered swiftly and I am happy to recommend both.

Lucifer216
10-11-2008, 11:37
I throughly recommend the Dragon's Tears. 25 per cent off coupled with reasonable delivery times is fantastic. The only downside is the occasional sense of stupidity whenever I succumb to an impulse purchase in a GW store (happens less these days now that I have a huge painting backlog...).

I have placed a number of large orders with them and have yet to be let down. Although, they are one of the companies mentioned above that keep little or no stock, I don't really see this as a problem.

xowainx
10-11-2008, 12:51
I've placed many orders through Maelstrom and only ever had one problem with them, when they sent me the wrong size army case (which they rectified straight away for me without any fuss). Apart from that, they've always been excellent (down to fufilling my requests when i've asked for specific champion models in blisters etc) and I always get pre-release stuff a few days early and 10-15% cheaper than GW.

BrianC
10-11-2008, 13:11
I've ordered from GWOnline, Gaming Figures and Maelstrom Games, all three have been excellent.

Maelstrom tends to be better value when they run one of their reasonably regular discount voucher offers as it gives another 10% off or so making them very cheap considering the free shipping. Otherwise I only tend to order paint (they do Vallejo at ~ 1.50 a pot with free delivery) or the odd single model/box from them were the free postage makes the most sense.

Choosing between Gaming Figures and GWOnline normally comes down to postage cost for that particular order as it can often be the only differentiator between the two order totals.

I've also used 4TK Gaming as well, their website isn't the best but they can often be much cheaper for bulk items.

yeancientone
10-11-2008, 13:42
Gifts For Geeks are good - used them twice now and no problems. They do 20-30% off.

Avian
10-11-2008, 16:07
Just got a box of the new Marauder Horsemen I ordered from Maelstrom. It's only 10% off, but it was very quick delivery abroad (6 days from placing my order) and free shipping to Norway is nothing to be sneezed at. I will definitely be ordering more stuff from them in the coming weeks. :)

brain_dead_1st
12-11-2008, 15:09
I would like to introduce you all to www.4tk.co.uk
Click either fantasy or 40k, then click UNBOXED ITEMS
I bought a 5 man scout squad with snipers, for about 8 inc postage. Just no box.

I agree minatures by post are great also, if you pay by cheque you get greater discount which is good if you are making a big order.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
12-11-2008, 16:05
looks like thier unboxed items are from the battleforces / battallion boxes, which when GW finds out they will revoke thier account very quick - GW have started inspecting website accounts

they should look at the new updated trade account rules

Gussy
13-11-2008, 04:38
I the USA, I bought from:

(1) www.warstore.com <-- 20% off and good service no problem.
(2) www.bitkingdom.com <-- 20% to 30%..good service...but takes time to get your stuff.
(3) www.chaosorc.com <-- inconsistent discount...no problems initially but BIG PROBLEMS with missing items on the last order. WILL NOT ORDER ANYMORE.

orkz222
14-11-2008, 17:18
Ordered quite alot of times from maelstrom, though only 10% but the free shipping is the main pt for me. Once i order quite a few vallejo paints and they miss out a pot, i contact them through the website and got a response within 2-3hrs and they sent me the missing pot on the same day, excellent service.

Had bad exp with a US based online shop listed above me, charge double for shipping and overcharge for my 2nd order, did not refund me until I email them for a refund and slow shipment ( did not have the stock , all on backorder...)

witchking
14-11-2008, 18:29
miniwargaming.com is a good place and my personal preference. 10% off 5% rewards program and free shipping on orders $100 or more. Its also canada based so there prices are even more cheap to the US ect because of canada's low exchange rate.

phoenixlaw
15-11-2008, 15:47
http://www.railmodjunction.co.uk is the cheapest in my experience !!

reliable, shipping takes a week or so though.