PDA

View Full Version : Before Azrael

Helsing
10-11-2008, 00:53
Before Azrael, who was the chapter master of the Dark Angels? Who were the other captains? What are the Angels Requiem?

TwoByFour
10-11-2008, 06:11
There's a piece of artwork in the codex (p. 47) where Azrael is looking at his sword. It rather looks as if he's just been given the symbols of office, and the picture is called "The last rites of brother Rhamiel". I'm fairly certain that Rhamiel was the previous chapter master.
Sammael, the captain of the second company, The Ravenwing, was preceded by Gideon. He was killed by the chaos titan Traitorous Ire.
As far as I know, Belial's predecessor isn't named. It is just stated he died a violent death aboard a space hulk called the Charnel Shrine. Before his promotion to master of the deathwing, he commanded the third company.
The rest of the companies I don't know about.

The Angels Requiem sound like a sucessor chapter, but it isn't one named in the codex.

TheDarkDaff
10-11-2008, 08:19
I believe this may help with the Angels Requiem .

Req⋅ui⋅em   /ˈrɛkwiəm, ˈrikwi-, ˈreɪ-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rek-wee-uhm, ree-kwee-, rey-] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. Roman Catholic Church. a. Also called Requiem Mass. the Mass celebrated for the repose of the souls of the dead.
b. a celebration of this Mass.
c. a plainsong setting for this Mass.

2. any musical service, hymn, or dirge for the repose of the dead.

Inquisitor S.
10-11-2008, 16:38
"The last rites of brother Rhamiel". I'm fairly certain that Rhamiel was the previous chapter master.

Pure speculation without any substance. Could easily been one of the repented Fallen.

abasio
11-11-2008, 03:42
What are the Angels Requiem?

Requiem Angelis - a work (presumably a requiem to be sung before battle), sacred to the Unforgiven Chapters

moi_a_mania
20-11-2008, 22:40
According to the DarkFortress.co, in the Hall of Heroes,

Name - Anaziel
Rank - Supreme Grand Master
Date - M37
Notes - Requested the creation of the Disciples of Caliban, Late 37th millennium
Reference - DA codex, page 74

Luke.13
20-11-2008, 23:18
that cant be right, cause 40k is set in the 40th millennium so that would make Azrael almost 3000 years old and we know that oldest marine not ina dreadnought is Dante and he is only 1000 IIRC

Leftenant Gashrog
21-11-2008, 04:13
According to the 3rd edition DA Codex the current Azrael ascended to the position of Master of the Deathwing in 917.m41, and Supreme Grand Master in 947.m41.
Imperial Armour volume 5 however has a Supreme Grand Master Azrael leading the Dark Angels at Vraks in 812.m41.. so it could be that there have been two Azraels in a row ;)

cause 40k is set in the 40th millennium

Actually that would be the 41st Millenium..

Luke.13
21-11-2008, 05:54
According to the 3rd edition DA Codex the current Azrael ascended to the position of Master of the Deathwing in 917.m41, and Supreme Grand Master in 947.m41.
Imperial Armour volume 5 however has a Supreme Grand Master Azrael leading the Dark Angels at Vraks in 812.m41.. so it could be that there have been two Azraels in a row ;)

Actually that would be the 41st Millenium..

to the first part, thats only 130 odd years apart so, it probably is the same person i would think

and 40th millennium or 41st still dosent make a difference (to this argument) as there's still over 2000 years between azrael and the Anaziel ,moi_a_mania posted, which effectively rules him out as a the chapter master directly preceding Azreal

MrBigMr
21-11-2008, 08:19
that cant be right, cause 40k is set in the 40th millennium so that would make Azrael almost 3000 years old and we know that oldest marine not ina dreadnought is Dante and he is only 1000 IIRC
Oldest living. Dante is the oldest living Marine. I don't think that doesn't mean there haven't been long living Marines in the past. Remember, Cypher and all the Fallen are still doing fine and when is the last time a Marine died as an old fart? They all get smoked in battle before that.

SOTIRIOS
21-11-2008, 08:49
Oldest living. Dante is the oldest living Marine. I don't think that doesn't mean there haven't been long living Marines in the past. Remember, Cypher and all the Fallen are still doing fine and when is the last time a Marine died as an old fart? They all get smoked in battle before that.

If you include Dreadnoughts, then Bjorn the Fell-handed is the oldest living Marine...:)

precinctomega
21-11-2008, 08:58
Generally, one excludes dreadnoughts in these discussions.

Azrael's predecessor has not been specifically named. Indeed, Anaziel is the only other named Supreme Grand Master in the canon and, as has been pointed out, he preceded Azrael by over 3 millennia. I have to say that my assumption was that Rhamiel was a Fallen, but I agree that it's theoretically possible that he was the previous Supreme Grand Master: there's nothing to say either way.

Studio policy is generally to avoid adding detail to the canonical background where it isn't called for. This leaves plenty of room open for players to make up their own background to fit their armies or collections.

The naming of Sammael's predecessor was necessitated by the fact that they had already produced a model of the Master of the Ravenwing in his Land Speeder and he looks entirely different to the version on the jetbike. Hence, Gideon - the one in the Land Speeder - got offed in favour of the new Master, Sammael.

The "Angels Requiem" is a new one on me. What's the reference?

R.