PDA

View Full Version : Eldar & Tau

The Caliban Lion
10-11-2008, 11:28
I have seen people claim that it's hinted in the background that Tau was created by Eldar. Could anybody enlighten me as to what those hints may be? Or if there is another thread on the subject, please direct me to it.

Lord Malorne
10-11-2008, 11:32
From the Xenology book it is hinted and strung together by fans that the Eldar took a Q'uarl (sp) queen and with it either manipulated the genes (insert science talk here) to either 'make' the Tau.

Or possbily to cross the genes with the native savage tau to create the ethereals...

quint89
10-11-2008, 11:45
Thats about right...almost

In Xenology they note the diamond in the Etherals head may control other Tau through pheromones. Later we see a Q'uorl (sp??) as having an (almost) identical pheromone organ... then there is a Q'uorl legend/story about the Eldar taking a Q'uorl queen for some mysterious purpose (to use on those that are 'untainted' or some such).

What I get from it is that the Eldar created/modified the Etherals caste. The Etherals were able to unite the Tau, who were at the time killing themselves with inter-caste warfare.

That abotu it.

(Oh an ScifiGenre has Xenology available for $23.00.. well worth pickin it up).

The Caliban Lion
10-11-2008, 12:07
So what was the purpose of creating the Etherals? Does eldar control them, or what?

Lord Malorne
10-11-2008, 12:33
Seemingly they do not. Nothing has been shown to make me think otherwise.

MrBigMr
10-11-2008, 12:54
*in before Bergalad*

It is widely disgussed theory that the Ethereals use the pheromones to control the Tau. Not in a sense of how a necromanser would lead his zombies, but make the more accepting of their suggestions. So when an Ethereal is present, all Tau feel like in the presence of Buddha himself, or something. Their minds are at ease and all.

This mind altering effect also works on the Ethereals themselves who are like little enlightened saints themselves. In Fire Warrior Chaos worshipers found the Ethereal to be nigh impossible to corrupt as there was no hold on their minds. They were at such a deep state of calm that there were no emotions. This would make the Ethereals up to par in incorruptability as the Grey Knights and Harlequins in my mind.

So a race with an uncorruptable leadership, no psychers, small Warp signature and Eldar Path-like social structure makes an race that is able to withstand the test of Chaos. Why the Eldar would have done it? Who knows?

Lord Malorne
10-11-2008, 12:57
Some one needs to tell those eldar (south park shop teachers voice) ''stop screwin' around!''.

It was the Xenology book that really pushed this theory out there, into the minds of the easily corrupted...

MrBigMr
10-11-2008, 13:07
That is true, but Fire Warrior also put emphasis on the fact that the Ethereal had strange effects on the Tau, and I believe the Tau Empire codex also had something to that effect. Can't remember at the moment, but seeing that Bergalad doesn't like all the fluff in it, it has to be so. Not to forget that the forehead crystal thingy has been talked about for a long time as well.

Lord Malorne
10-11-2008, 13:14
Damn the eyes of the fire warrior game, canon from games come with a free sample of salt ;).

Though Xenology being BL has been generaly accepted...by most people at least.

Bjorn
10-11-2008, 14:19
Of course, there's the little in-joke in the 3rd ed codex about Kroot being controled by pheromones and the Tau writing the letter stating "Kroaken joked that [Krootox] were as faithful to the Kroot as we are to the Ethereal ones. I chided him there there was more to our devotion than simple reaction to exuded chemical odours. The very thought!"

Makes me giggle whenever I read it

Alpharius
10-11-2008, 14:36
I'm still waiting for the Mutual Assured Destruction program for the Necrons (we're behind everything!) and Tau (Shameless pandering to the Anime crowd!) to be inacted, returning the 40K galaxy to a proper dark, grim and gothic setting...

Luisjoey
10-11-2008, 14:39
Taus seems to be something of the OLDER ONES, maybe a new remake maybe eldar have something to do with, but tau are too young to know their true nature?

But they have the instinct to manipulate high advanced technology

kikkoman
10-11-2008, 14:56
Eldrad likes them, he likes them a lot, this is "kill 'em all" Eldrad saying he likes the little blue guys.

I believe there's also fluff of Ulthwe corsair fleets attacking Imperial fleets heading towards the Tau empire.

But that fluff makes no indication that the Eldar engineered the Tau. Eldrad says "I dont know why, but I feel protective towards them"

like there's something manipulating both Eldar and Tau. bum bum buuuuummmm!!

MrBigMr
10-11-2008, 19:25
Damn the eyes of the fire warrior game, canon from games come with a free sample of salt ;).

Though Xenology being BL has been generaly accepted...by most people at least.
I don't remember anyone offering a sniff of salt with Space Hulk, Dawn of War (and that novelization is done by Goto for Pete's sake) or any other 40K game, so lets not start now. Ok, there's problems, even big ones, but it doesn't somehow debunk everything in it now does it?

And I happened to like the game (on PS2) as far as 40K shooters go. What competition is there? 2 Space Hulk games from the merry 90's. I like 1st and 3rd person shooters, but I guess I'm getting DoW as well now that I got my new PC (well, I'm still using the old one right now, but soon...)

I'm still waiting for the Mutual Assured Destruction program for the Necrons (we're behind everything!) and Tau (Shameless pandering to the Anime crowd!) to be inacted, returning the 40K galaxy to a proper dark, grim and gothic setting...
Space Knights, Space Elves, Space Orcs & Goblins, Space Zerg Xenomorphs, Space Dwarfs, Space Historical Battles, Space Daemons and Space Warriors of Chaos shouldn't throw Space Rocks in Space Glass Houses.

SeB
10-11-2008, 21:05
wats a Q'uorl queen?

Rockerfella
10-11-2008, 21:10
Big nasty, sentient space bugs. The queen is well, their queen! :O)

MrBigMr
10-11-2008, 21:15
Q'orl are an insectoid race living beyond the Eye of Terror. A queen is somesort of a big Q'orl who has a pheromone control over their lessers.

Kyrios
10-11-2008, 22:28
Just wnated to add that when the Etherals furst appear there are stories about "lights in the sky and half-glimpsed shadows" hinting at some external force since the Tau doesn't seem to be very supersticious/religous at all (Tau'va/Greater Good beeing more of a philosophy)
xenology also brings up the fact that Commander Farsight turned rouge after all Etherals of his expidition died and he was no longer under their influence.

Orca
17-11-2008, 04:08
Regarding Farsight, his rogueness could be the lack of ethereal presence, but there's plenty of Tau out there who don't have regular contact with that cast. Not every cadre and scout ship has an Ethereal available to (potentially) create calm and good will with their smell gland of niceness.

I'd guess that Farsight's rogueness was based on something else that happened on the fringe (Dawnblade, zone of evil, got really drunk on that Ork Squig juice, whatever.) The lack of ethereal's simply made this event possible in the first place.

Iceheart2112
17-11-2008, 04:27
Regarding Farsight, there are a large number of theories. Orca's got one of them. Others include the "He's a rogue, but not really" theory where in he's doing the dirty work that the higher ups can't really condone, he's taken over by the Dawnblade which is an unholy Chaos/Necron/Eldar/GW weapon, and many more.

MrBigMr
17-11-2008, 04:40
Regarding Farsight, his rogueness could be the lack of ethereal presence, but there's plenty of Tau out there who don't have regular contact with that cast. Not every cadre and scout ship has an Ethereal available to (potentially) create calm and good will with their smell gland of niceness.

I'd guess that Farsight's rogueness was based on something else that happened on the fringe (Dawnblade, zone of evil, got really drunk on that Ork Squig juice, whatever.) The lack of ethereal's simply made this event possible in the first place.
Could be. It is true that the Ethereals aren't spread evenly among the groups, but they usually you don't need such enforcement within the empire. Most people are always reminded of their duty and the unity, but when ever people travel to the edge of their known world, it leads to them becoming more... questioning. Suddenly you're on the outside looking in and you might not like what you see. Or you see something better.

That's why you have Commissars in the Imperial Guard and not in Imperial cities, stationed in the lobby of each apartment block.

The fact is that Farsight did have an Ethereal with him. I doubt he or she was there to just keep him company.

genestealer_baldric
18-11-2008, 08:31
i think somewhere it said that some imperium bloke looked inside the skull and found eldar markings on the inside of the tau`s skull. there was a rumour that the eldar made the tau to replace the human race and destroy choas due to no pressence in the warp.

Darkstar2586
18-11-2008, 08:40
They wouldnt have made the tau to replace the humans, but maybe as an attempt to counter chaos in some way.
The idea that the more people believe in something, the more powerful a being it becomes, for example the emperor.
Imagine the taus greater good belief giving birth to a warp god of order to counterbalance that of chaos.

Or maybe they created tau because of one event in the far off future that the eldar can see!

Genestealer where did you read about the eldar markings on the inside of a tau skull? Its an interesting idea, although i cant imagine it being accurate as this would have been noticed long ago by the tau and questioned. Wouldn't you find it strange if all humans had writing on the inside of their skull from birth?

When Farsights ethereal died i think initially it gave birth to rage at the loss, which may have reacted with the "necron?" dawnblade. As farsight is not going against the tau, but has separated himself, so maybe he knows something and fights a private war to protect the empire?

grissom2006
18-11-2008, 08:46
the eldar saw humans as allies in the war against chaos only as we know the emperor decided to forge his own path. the eldar lost faith in the humans and then found new hope in the tau.

genestealer_baldric
18-11-2008, 08:52
one of my mates works for gw and he knows unholy ammounts of gw fluff and he told me about it so iam not completaly sure where he got it from, but if anyone can tell me if iam right or wrong then thanks, i wouldnt surprise me if the eldar are secretley moulding the tau into a force for the future. yeah having eldar marks on the skull would be weird, what about if says "made in craftworld Iyanden"

MrBigMr
18-11-2008, 09:15
They wouldnt have made the tau to replace the humans, but maybe as an attempt to counter chaos in some way.
The idea that the more people believe in something, the more powerful a being it becomes, for example the emperor.
Imagine the taus greater good belief giving birth to a warp god of order to counterbalance that of chaos.
I doubt something like that'll happen. See, the whole idea is that the Tau minds are at peace, so they don't produce Warp altering effects. So it's not so much about bringing something to life, but deying someone their power. It's like not feeding the troll, rather than trying to fight it.

Besides, the Tau have such a miniscule signature that you couldn't really cause much waves with it. It took the Eldar took eons with their amazing Warp signatures (which is like a spotlight next to a human's candle, which in turn is like a spotlight compared to a Tau's canble) fueling the god that lied beyond.

I can't really see the Tau producing some god of Happy-Happy Joy-Joy who's birth will shower the world with puppy dogs and clovers, and who eats Chaos gods and poops them out as butterfiels. The answer to everything isn't a bigger thing. The answer might be not to do a God damn thing and just letting it pass over.

genestealer_baldric
18-11-2008, 09:26
"god of Happy-Happy Joy-Joy who's birth will shower the world with puppy dogs and clovers" - MrBigMr

i love the idea of a god of puppy dogs. "FEEL THE RATH OF MY GOLDEN RETRIVER PUPPIES OF DOOM"

BaronGustav
18-11-2008, 09:43
I believe the Tau are a product of the Cabal, as a new response to the chaos threat after humanity has lost its way in being a meaningful tool for them. As those who read it the cabal do posseses eldar contacts and would certainly have an influence on their development and technology (anti grav) it seems.

I think the Tau will high tech and little warp presence are a perfect construct to tackle the chaos effect. And in the stories I have read surrounding the Tau they seem to have some assistance at times (surrounding space) that even seems beyond the capabilities of the eldar, alas the cable may be behind it.

Leviro
18-11-2008, 13:18
hmmm, like the warp storms around tau when the imperial colonizers went in (and they lasted a long time)