PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Cathayan Dragon List

thisisntnotjt
10-11-2008, 22:37
Hey guys, I decided to make a Cathayan Tzeentch (Chi'an Chi, I think) Led Cult army based on the new fluff from the WoC army book. The basic idea is
the cult has gathered tainted members of other factions, manipulating
them to do their bidding. They're also enlisted the aid of an ancient
evil dragon (since I felt a great urge to model an oriental dragon
with a mustache and long curly body).

I'm writing this from memory while at work, so please bare with me if their are points issues. Please point them out and I'll fix them.

Sorcerer Lord (770)
L.4
MoT
Dragon
Eye
(edit) Runesword (used to be Aether Sword)
Power Stone
God roll thing
Homonculus
Roar

Sorcerer (220)
L.2
MoT
Disc
Puppet
Breath thing

(311) 12 Warriors w/ shields, GWs, FC, MoN, Banner of Rage
- These are an elite state soldiers whose master fell into a Cult of Despair after the Great Bastion fell, dooming his men. The Chi'an Chi leader bribed them with a magical banner, giving them great martial prowess, but tricking them into mindlessness.

(204) 24 Marauders w/ LA, Shields, MoS
- These men used to be mere farmers, until their province governer stole their wives. Struck with the lustful energies of their horrible master, they took up armies, raping and killing everything in their path.

(110) 5 Marauder Horsemen w/ Flails, LA. MoK
(110) ""
(110) ""
(150) Chariot w/ MoK
- A detachment of Bloodthirster raiders, too fargone in the craving for flesh and violence for even their own savage tribe. They were lured away with promises of flesh and blood.

(265) Giant w/ MoS
- (my favorite) Abandoned in the wilderness as a child, he was found by a temple of warrior monks who practiced the art on the Silent Death. At the time they took him in, he was just the size of a man, though he now practices their deadly art at the size of a house.

--------
2250/2250
55 models
84 Unit Strength
8 PD + PS + Homonculus + MoT
5 DD

The basic tactic is the use the horsemen and chariot as shock troops, taking out enemy wizards, warmachines and other shooting so that my own wizards can dominate the magic phase while the block units, giant, and dragon form anvils and hammers to finish the remaining troops. I have no qualms about sacrificing the horsemen in suicide missions.

Any thoughts?

DasKhorne
11-11-2008, 06:06
Luv the fluff, its also good to see 2k+ armies with dragons:D

thisisntnotjt
11-11-2008, 14:16
Thanks! I think it'll be fun. I started on the dragon last night. I'm using the high elf dragon with modeling wire and lots of clay. I may have to post pictures. It's super long and snaky. Also, I realized right after I started that oriental dragons don't have wings, but still fly, which will be interesting.

yoshimo
11-11-2008, 14:36
Aether sword's not worth it,
as your only getting 3 ws5 attacks at s4 then on average vs a lower Weaponskill opponent with t3 you'll be averaging:
1.33 wounds with no save.
if you instead take runesword:
4 ws6 attacks at s5 then on average in same conditions you deal 2.2 wounds at -2 to save.
About the same kill rate vs knights but far better vs standard rank & file and high T stuff

EDIT: wouldn't hurt you to drop the power scroll and take an enchanted shield for the 2+ save on your sorc lord

thisisntnotjt
11-11-2008, 14:43
Good call on the runesword, I'll do that.

On your edit: I ws under the impression that there was a rule saying you couldn't take magical shields if you didn't have the option of taking a shield in the first place. I don't have my book with me, so I can't reference it, but there was a big discussion and confirmation about it on druchii.net in reference to the Beast Master in their previous book. He couldn't take shields, and therefore couldn't take the enchanted shield. I can't remember the confirmation, but I think that's worth discussing in another thread.

yoshimo
11-11-2008, 14:46
page 106 - they can use magical shields

thisisntnotjt
11-11-2008, 14:51
OK, coolness. It's something to think about, trading it out, since I could really throw off my opponent by busting that out end turn when she thinks I only have 2 dice left.

thisisntnotjt
14-11-2008, 18:27
Ok guys, update slash double post here:

I'll be playing this army against my buddy's vampire counts tomorrow and I'm super pumped. I've never actually used a dragon before, so I'm excited to see what happens.

The only change I'll be making to my posted list is switching the Lord's Aether Sword to a Runesword. I'll keep the power stone for now, as I'm looking to sneak in a high level speel to turn the game. We both know each other very well, and have been playing each other for years, BUT he's never seen me use a power stone. He'll be surprised.

My main strategy will be to smash my horsemen into his hero vampires, of which he'll take 3, severly reducing is offensive and defensive magic abilities. My main concern with this is his zombie raising fetish in the first couple turns, which could very well ruin my plans.

After this, however, I plan on ravaging his main blocks with breath attacks, magic, and my solid h2h blocks.

I realise I'm really riding on those character assassinations, but that's what I'm working with at this point. Hopefully I get first turn. Any suggestions?

thisisntnotjt
23-02-2009, 23:26
Wow, late update. Anyways, as the games went, the first one ended turn two as I got Infernal gateway off on his bloodknights and his generals unit, one with an irresistible force and the other with the help of the puppet and pandemonium.

The second game went on longer. I failed to kill any of his characters with my horsemen due to extremely crappy dice rolls, though I did knock them all down a wound. I ended up getting into solid combat set ups, though I ended up getting extremely unlucky with my marauders, who let through a flank charge on my dragon who was forced into combat earlier. I stayed a couple turns, killing off a good portion of his army, but my dragon eventually fled, rolling a 6(!) on the flee, getting swept up by the rabble.

On a side note, it is very annoying to have your warriors grind through skeletons, only to get to the vampire lord slowly grinding them away with no combat resolution available anywhere besides outnumber and banner (which he easily makes up for in kills). Oh well.

Kalec
24-02-2009, 00:59
On a side note, it is very annoying to have your warriors grind through skeletons, only to get to the vampire lord slowly grinding them away with no combat resolution available anywhere besides outnumber and banner (which he easily makes up for in kills). Oh well.

If you send an infantry block against a fighty lord in a block without any support, you can expect to lose with pretty much anything. Swordmasters might be able to do it, but that's about it. Chaos warriors are good, but they are still infantry.

anarnii
24-02-2009, 01:19
raping and killing everything in their path.

anything?

looks like a pretty solid list, although with such few numbers i would try out the list without the giant in it, get more mauarders to have a more central infanrty core to the army. or go with chaos knight, which ever fits the fluff better,

good luck with the next game!

thisisntnotjt
24-02-2009, 05:17
If you send an infantry block against a fighty lord in a block without any support, you can expect to lose with pretty much anything. Swordmasters might be able to do it, but that's about it. Chaos warriors are good, but they are still infantry.

I was fine up until I ran out skeletons to kill. It seemed ridiculous that I still had around 9 warriors left losing to this one vampire.

@ anarnii: yeah, the "raping and killing" is more of a fluff thing, like among their villages and all.

The giant was more for fluff too; I absolutely had to make a ninja-giant. I've finished modeling the dragon. Still working on the giant though.

The SkaerKrow
24-02-2009, 16:24
Excellent lore that you've created for your army. It's a nice departure from the "usual" Cathay inspired armies that tend to pop up online.

thisisntnotjt
24-02-2009, 16:30
Excellent lore that you've created for your army. It's a nice departure from the "usual" Cathay inspired armies that tend to pop up online.

I appreciate the thought. I'm pretty excited about finishing it after I get my high elves done for a local tournament. I was going to go back to my lizardmen (my first, true love) but they seem to have gotten rather popular as of late due to the book release, so I decided to stick with something fresh. I'll post some pictures of my dragon later today, I had a lot of fun modeling it.