PDA

View Full Version : Festus...

Nicha11
11-11-2008, 05:21
Originally when i heard about this character i was pretty excited, he seemed
to be able to make a rock hard unit even harder, be a great fighter and a wizard.

Unfortunately looking at the rules this is not the case. He himself is a sub par hero who any other melee character could easily kill.
He is merely a lv2 nurgle magic user with no special magic rules. And his regeneration is only 5+...

So apart from apart from theme why would you use him?

Sidorio
11-11-2008, 05:52
actually, he is quite good and i personally would use him if he fitted into my army. your wrong about his regeneration aswell. it's 4+ (normal), where as that granted to his unit is 5+. i'd advise you to read the rules more carefully.

Djekar
11-11-2008, 05:54
I don't think he's particularly great either (though I might take him were I more into Nurgling up the magic phase), but I'd like to point out that he does have some special rules: his unit gets regeneration (albeit on a 5+) and poisoned attacks. He also always knows curse of the leper (if you're into it). Oh, and as far as I remember he has the regeneration rule himself, meaning that he'll regenerate just fine on a 4+.

Hugs ~

Sidorio
11-11-2008, 05:56
I don't think he's particularly great either (though I might take him were I more into Nurgling up the magic phase)

thats why i like him:p, after khorne i'm nurgle all the way. and in 40k i put grandpappy nurgle first.

Djekar
11-11-2008, 06:38
My wife plays Beastmen, and she has loved Nurgle since she read in the 6th Ed. Hordes of Chaos book that he was "nicknamed" Grandpa Nurgle. Now everytime she coughs I have to look at her sideways - she might be testing out her latest concoction on me!!
I'm a Slaaneshi man myself, but as far as the game goes I can't seem to get away from the bloody K-man on my hitty combat units.

On a note somewhat related to the actual topic, I am thinking of fielding Festus to see just how useful 5+ regeneration can be, but I can't figure out whether to stick him with a big block of MoN marauders or a smaller (more of a group than a block, really) unit of MoN Chosen. I'm leaning towards the Marauders, what with the Chosen being killy enough and poison to help in that respect not seeming to be very necessary.

Sidorio
11-11-2008, 07:01
sounds like a good idea, for 200pts, you could get 25 marauders, MoN, shields, light armour and a full coammand. should be hard to kill with minuses to hit and 2 5+ saves for shootinh and 4/5+ save in combat aswell as your poisoned attacks. should also keep your nargle loving wife happy (i wonder if you could cross a daemonette with a plaguebearer).

Nicha11
11-11-2008, 07:17
actually, he is quite good and i personally would use him if he fitted into my army. your wrong about his regeneration aswell. it's 4+ (normal), where as that granted to his unit is 5+. i'd advise you to read the rules more carefully.

I was referring to the regeneration he conferred on the unit he joined,
but thanks for insulting my ability to read :angel:

And what is good about a model with the fighting skills of a warrior priest,
who has to get into close combat for some of his advantages to help, and
who will then have his magic nullifeid.

If i was going for magic i would take a sorcerer, if i was going for combat i
would go for an exalted, what i wouldn't go for anything is Festus.

Goruax
11-11-2008, 07:49
Festus gets Curse of the Leper automatically, which, IMO, is one helluva great spell.
On 3 dice it'd be fine to cast and Festus need not cast anything after that.
Then you just grab Magnificent Buboes.

He's a great to support your spellcasters and gives a decent benefit to his unit.
For 185 points he's pretty good for what he does.

Nicha11
11-11-2008, 07:56
but whilst any unit he joins becomes tougher, (5+ regeneration, poisoned attacks). They will find it night impossible to catch anything, as they only pursue 1 D6 , that combined with M4 means that his unit can be safely ignored.

And as I pointed out earlier i would prefer a normal sorcerer. A lv 2 nurgle sorcerer, with power familiar, comes in at the same points, and is actually better in close combat!

Sidorio
11-11-2008, 08:03
true... but they don't have regeneration do they. also for a nurgle themed army he's an excellent character to take when you actually think about it.

also sorry for comenting about your inability to read, but when you read your original post you say "AND his regeneration is only 5+". now when reading that it makes you think your talking about festus, not the regeneration he grants to his unit.

Nicha11
11-11-2008, 08:16
true... but they don't have regeneration do they. also for a nurgle themed army he's an excellent character to take when you actually think about it.

also sorry for comenting about your inability to read, but when you read your original post you say "AND his regeneration is only 5+". now when reading that it makes you think your talking about festus, not the regeneration he grants to his unit.

Your right, he is excellent for a nurgle army, his background his pretty top notch.

And sorry about the regeneration my wording was a bit unclear.

I still won't take him, but i hope that won't stop others.

UltimateNagash
11-11-2008, 08:35
but whilst any unit he joins becomes tougher, (5+ regeneration, poisoned attacks). They will find it night impossible to catch anything, as they only pursue 1 D6 , that combined with M4 means that his unit can be safely ignored.
Which is why you also charge in with a unit of Marauder Horsemen with the MoS :p

Sidorio
11-11-2008, 09:00
I still won't take him, but i hope that won't stop others.

thats fine and i'm not trying to convert you to the ways of papa nurgle:D. and i don't think i'd use him outside of a nurgle army, which means there's little chance of me using him at any point soon as i'm going for the undivided/no mark ways of the kurgan (i know they havew followers but i don't want to mark any of my guys). :skull:

Leogun_91
11-11-2008, 09:41
And what is good about a model with the fighting skills of a warrior priest,
who has to get into close combat for some of his advantages to help, and
who will then have his magic nullifeid.That is almoast an exact description of a warrior priest and they get used alot. Poison is great and so is 5+regeneration save. He is usefull in the magic phase and he really boosts a unit alot, it would actually be cool to make a small say 500pts force based on a small band that follows him around the roads, it would defenitively have some poisonous warhounds.

Goruax
11-11-2008, 10:21
it would actually be cool to make a small say 500pts force based on a small band that follows him around the roads, it would defenitively have some poisonous warhounds.

Pretty much the only time Warhounds w/Poisoned attacks will ever get used, being exhorbitantly expensive for what they do.

EvC
11-11-2008, 12:52
I played against an army with him in it yesterday. Added zero punch to the magic phase, and in the end his unit fled from terror and got ran down. Ouch!

Blood/|\Moon
12-11-2008, 18:52
I like Festus for the points. I put him in a 20 block of marauders of khorne that have FC+GW+LT+SH and a sorcerer lord of TZ with collar/power familiar/Dispell scroll/enchanted shield/eye of TZ/+D3- mounted on a barded horse. The block is low cost and can take a beating. The opponent can't ignore it because of the casting potential and poor Festus does not have to fight the challenges. :skull: Many people have beat up that block but it always seems to find a way to win or live through the whole battle. gotta love 'EM!

Just my 2 cents...
:D

FallenAfh
12-11-2008, 19:31
Don't forget that he also has the Mark of Nurgle, the -1 ws might come in handy now and then. I think he's best use along side a Sorcerer with Soporific Musk(Maybe even with the Skull of Katam) in a unit of Slaanesh Marauders with LA/Shields and FC. Include a Warshrine so a marauder champ can stall for a turn or 2 (you might get lucky with Ws 5 4+as 5+regen). Hopefully that'll buy enough time for a flank attack.

OldMaster
12-11-2008, 20:41
I don't find him all that powerful. Want Regeneration on your unit? Just take helluvalot of Nurgle Sorcerers to get their second spell. I really like to give my charging Nurgle unit of Knights with the Banner of Rage a liiiitle buff =)

Mazdug
23-12-2008, 20:57
I would think that festus in a unit of Tzeentch warriors with extra hand weapons, and the blasted standard would make an excellent points denial unit. So long as you stuck a fighty hero in there to challenge in Festuses stead (maybe with soporific musk to improve chances of catching defeated units), you should be practically unkillable.

Urgat
24-12-2008, 08:25
I was referring to the regeneration he conferred on the unit he joined,
but thanks for insulting my ability to read :angel:

You were speaking about Festus and said that his regeneration was only 5+, and you're saying he's insulting your ability to read?
I'm insulting your ability to write, then :p

Other than that, yeah, Festus doesn't strike as a particularly impressive end-of-the-world character (even though the unit's 5+ regen IS nice), and it is fine with me. At least you won't see many people complaining if you field him.

sephiroth87
24-12-2008, 16:34
That's close to what I take, but I take the rapturous standard instead of the blasted standard.

I haven't lost this unit yet, out of 8 games. Halberds, shields, tzeentch mark, slaanesh banner, led by a nurgle sorcerer. Backed up by the war altar. Isn't life fun...

And festus is pretty tough. With regeneration, you can keep him in a unit longer than you could a regular nurgle sorcerer, as he'll usually survive lances and other high strength weapons. And all I'm ever wanting usually is Buboes to snipe characters before they get there. Curse of the Leper is also a good spell, and I don't mind taking it every game. As far as the pursuit rolls go, I've just started letting them hold in combat every turn until I can hit the unit with a chariot, spawn, or the war altar. With the amount of attacks they both throw out every turn, I usually win combat and grind a unit down or break them and chase with the chariot/spawn/altar.

Eta
24-12-2008, 17:18
It is shrine, not altar. That altar thing must be set in stone in the poor minds of Warseer community when one considers how often it is mixed up.

On the Festus topic - I really do not like him, so I will not use him.

Greetings
Eta

Nicha11
24-12-2008, 17:19
I'm insulting your ability to write, then

:eyebrows::angel::D

I thought this thread died along time ago,

Mazdug how could you!:eek:

Sidorio
25-12-2008, 08:56
same, i thought it was dead and buried along with that argument about Nicha11's posting abilities and as we finished that there is no real need to bring it up again however accurate it may be.

sephiroth87
26-12-2008, 02:26
It is shrine, not altar. That altar thing must be set in stone in the poor minds of Warseer community when one considers how often it is mixed up.

On the Festus topic - I really do not like him, so I will not use him.

Greetings
Eta

Mine is an altar. You can call yours a shrine, but I made mine, and I'm calling it an altar. Especially as mine is made out of the empire war altar. But I always appreciate anal retentive corrections. :p

Mazdug
27-12-2008, 02:14
Mazdug how could you!:eek:

Well, there was only this one thread about Festus, and I have been seriously trying to figure out a good use for him, so I figured it would be the best place to post. I am a little dissapointed that people seemed to think that was a reason to start up old arguements though.

On the subject of festus himself, I think the thing that draws me to him is the garunteed chance to get a spell that is so debilitating when combined with a number of themetically nurglesque items. Between the banner, amulet, and palenquin, you could very well cause a pretty epic amount of damage to anything under the influence of that spell foolish enough to attack before dispelling it. At the very least you can make someone hold back from combat while they try and dispel, and that alone can be a small victory against certain elite units.

Artemis360
30-12-2008, 16:10
Between the banner, amulet, and palenquin, you could very well cause a pretty epic amount of damage to anything under the influence of that spell foolish enough to attack before dispelling it.
Only problem is that the banner and the amulet only work in your turn's magic phase. So in other words, the turn you charge or the turn after the turn you get charged.

cold0
30-12-2008, 17:08
I play Festus often and it's quite effective for his cost. Yes, he is no great sorcerer but he gives a real boost to the unit he joins. I have tried him with Warriors and with the Marauders; with the latters he perfomrs better. Consider a block of 24 naked Marauders with great weapon (5 p. each), full command and Mark of Khorne, then add Festus. As anvil is good, effective and no expensive (a little over 300 points) expecially vs. fear/terror causing but no shooting armies as Daemons and VC.

Havock
30-12-2008, 22:01
put him in a big black of marauders with shields and LA with a MoT.
4+ asv, 5+ regen and 6+ ward. basic infantry doesn't get much tougher than that :p

Mazdug
31-12-2008, 16:46
Only problem is that the banner and the amulet only work in your turn's magic phase. So in other words, the turn you charge or the turn after the turn you get charged.

A good point that I hadn't noticed. Even so, Curse of the Leper is still an incredible spell when you get it off, especially against an opponents most elite combat units that might actually threaten your more dangerous units.

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
01-01-2009, 20:08
Why not just throw him in with wulfrik and a unit of khornate loonies?
He's in your flanks eatin' your doodz..

Deacon Bane
01-01-2009, 21:21
I don't think any other characters can join the ambushing Marauders. Wulfrik and one unit of Marauders don't have to deploy as normal, but Festus would not be part of the Marauders until the deployment phase. So you have to deploy all Characters at the same time except Wulfrik. You might find some ticked opponents if you threw a Lord and Exalted Champ decked out on steeds, in with the Ambushers.

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
01-01-2009, 22:16
True, silly me :p

Neknoh
01-01-2009, 23:02
I would say khornate marauders are the one we truly want Festus to join, give them lightarmour and shields, field them six wide (festus making up the sixth marauder in the front rank) and that's 13 poisoned attacks, a 4+ armoursave and 5+ regeneration on the marauders.

A Warshrine will serve to protect Festus from the unnecessary challenges he has to take as well, which is well worth remembering.

But basically, big sturdy block with maximum survivabillity is where he goes. Khornate warriors with additional handweapons would be meaner though ;)

Artemis360
02-01-2009, 00:41
A Warshrine will serve to protect Festus from the unnecessary challenges he has to take as well, which is well worth remembering.

Eh? No dude. No need for a warshrine.

"One challenge can be fought in each combat being fought." p76 small rulebook.
"A unit's champion can issue and accept challenges exactly like a character."
"Chaos models that may issue challenges must do so whenever they are able." -WoC book

So remember people: Combat starts -> marauder champion shouts blood thirsty challenge at Karl Franz on griffon -> Chaos sorcerer breaths huge sigh of relief.

Havock
02-01-2009, 12:58
marauder champion gets hacked to bits, but possinly not enough for max overkill.
you have 3 ranks, banner, outnumber yaddayadda.

Nerhesi
02-01-2009, 14:38
Am I being stupid in pointing out that you can't be throwing festus into any non-nurgle marked unit?

I thought he had the mark of nurgle and it states characters can't join units with diff marks...

no?

Sam W

Havock
02-01-2009, 15:02
No, that's the old book. New book doesn't say that :p

Nerhesi
02-01-2009, 15:11
Wait what?! I could have sworn.. hrmm..

So I can join Tzeentch sorcs to nurgle units for example? So dumb of moi.