PDA

View Full Version : how to arm a beast lord

lector#1
13-11-2008, 10:37
hey guys im thinking of doing a small scenario at home involving beastmen and either highelves or empire, i was just thinking of what are the best combinations you find work for a beastlord on foot??? i want him surviveable but also a monster in combat any help is great

Devon Harmon
13-11-2008, 22:27
What is the rest of your army like? What kind of unit will he be in (bestigors? In a chariot?).

I need a little bit more info.

If you are going to have any units in ambush, consider the Horn of the Great Hunt.

I frequently use the Pelt of the Dark Young on my B.Lord. And if he's not wearing it, the Wargor standing next to him is.

Maybe something like:
Pelt of Dark Young (25 pts) with Heavy Armour (for a 4+ save).
Slaughterer's Blade (40 pts) for 4 attacks at S7 that can heal him, but are ASL.
Horn of the Great Hunt (30 pts).

I have also played around with a build geared toward survivability:
Heavy Armour and Enchanted Shield(10 pts)(3+ save).
Crown of Horns (30 pts) for a 5+ ward save and other minor benefit.
Black Maul (60 pts) 5 attacks at S7.

I usually have him in a unit of Bestigor/Khnorngor/Pestigor/Slaangor/Tzangor. I have yet to put him in a chariot, but I just got one painted up, so give me a few games and I'll get back to you:-)

lector#1
13-11-2008, 23:08
yeah he is going to be on foot and i wanted him to be in a unit of either pestigors and just norm bestigors for the ambush thing.
i was also thinking of what mark is best for him?
and can you give him chaos armour?

the scenario is going to be about 500 points of high elves and a lord choice will be walking thro dense forest, and 500 points of beastmen and a lord choice will ambush them abd then if i liek the way they play i will turn them into an army

Devon Harmon
13-11-2008, 23:28
If he is going to be in a unit of pestigors, then he will have to have the Mark of Nurgle. If he is marked, he can join an undivided or unmarked unit. In order for him to join a marked unit, he must also have that same mark. Personally, I've had great luck with Khorngors, as the extra attack really boosts the great weapons effectiveness.

If I may be so bold, I'd suggest altering your scenario and using a Hero choice instead of a Lord. At that point level, the Lords will probably be unbalancing and the game will revolve around those two characters.

lector#1
14-11-2008, 03:14
yeah thats the point lol it is supposed to resolve around them 2 and who falls first

lector#1
14-11-2008, 12:58
i was thinking of just keeping him undevided and having a hole bunch of normal bestigors running around and just kit him out

nasty_little_hobbit
14-11-2008, 16:22
If you want an all round character good against HE and empire how about this:
Beastlord- mark of nurgle, chaos armour, enchanted shield, 5+ward thing, great fang= 245
This guy can carve through troops with ease as it will be wounding on 2+, has a decent save and extra wound so is likely to survive any characters( 2+ isnt bad for guys who run around in furs) and can easily take out anything with decent saves such as mounted troops. Only problem is he is expensive for a beastmen army.

Devon Harmon
14-11-2008, 17:04
That's a great build. I didn't realize that you could take Chaos Armour with the enchanted shield. But now I know the Chaos Armour had an specific exception to the restriction of only being allowed one "magic armour" item (I guess it helps if you read the wording of the items and don't just assume you know what chaos armour does). I've been overly restricting my options. This opens up some new posibilities for me...

lector#1
14-11-2008, 20:39
hahahahha i was thinking the same thing because i used to do normal chaos..... but now because they got new release every1 will be doing them so i want to stick with chaos but just go in a different direction.
and yeah i was wondering why you didnt give him chaos armour.... and what does the great fang do??? i cant find any of my army books atm they are all some where i think i need to go buy a new one

nasty_little_hobbit
14-11-2008, 21:09
The great fang ignores armour saves. Normally I wouldnt give this kind of an item to a character but as the beastlord is strength 5 he'll be wounding most normal infantry on 2+ and most characters on 3+, especially if your only facing empire of high elves. Seemed like the most effective build for those specific armies as likely to be facing fair amount of shooting so a decent save is always useful aswel.

lector#1
14-11-2008, 23:09
so thats 4 str 5 attacks no armour saves...... but if i start to use him in an army what build would you suggest for a bestigor heavy list i like the ambush fact and want to maximize that (not that there is much other options in a beast man army)
and with raiders and ambush does that just mean they skirmish..... i cant anything about raiders in the rule book and i cant find anything about ambush either

Devon Harmon
15-11-2008, 02:11
Bestigors don't ambush. So bestigor heavy=not much ambush going on. You could being several units of hounds (they have ambush). The beastlord has ambush as well, but remember only half of units/characters (rounding down) with the ambush rule may actually ambush. Also, you can only have one unit of Bestigors for each Beastherd unit in the army.

Since you a playing a scenario and not following the ordinary army construction rules, you could of course do away with the above restrictions.

Raiders do skirmish.

skank
15-11-2008, 03:59
You could be silly and go with a tzeentch beastlord?
Give him the darkoath staff and chaos armour for a 2+ save (enchanted shield+chaos armour is not allowed, 2 magic armours) gortooth and crown of thorns.

Magic defence will be minimal at 500 so you have a good shot at bears anger (from gortooth) for 7 strenght 7 attacks with hatred. Nasty but not many points left.

Devon Harmon
15-11-2008, 04:19
(enchanted shield+chaos armour is not allowed, 2 magic armours)

The BRB states that you cannot combine magic armour with a magic shield or helm unless specifically stated in the description of the magic item. The Choas Armour entry specifically states that it can be used with other equipment as normal, so I believe that you can use enchanted shield + chaos armour.

WhiteKnight
15-11-2008, 05:21
[QUOTE=skank;3080449]You could be silly and go with a tzeentch beastlord?
Give him the darkoath staff and chaos armour for a 2+ save (enchanted shield+chaos armour is not allowed, 2 magic armours) gortooth and crown of thorns.
[/QUOTE

You can't have staff of darkoth and goretooth on one character, 2 arcane items.

lector#1
15-11-2008, 06:31
yeah sorry i meant to say pestigors, well a beast herd im not too sure on how they work at the moment but as soon as i get time im going to buy the book.

lector#1
16-11-2008, 09:15
hey i was thinking maybe mark him khornate and give him axes of khorne or (not that i know what they do) but i was thinking its KB or something like that or the other combinations you guys have said what unit suits him best for the mark of nurgle, chaos armour, enchanted shield, 5+ward thing, great fang build

is he better in a unit or in a chariot???

Devon Harmon
16-11-2008, 16:05
I prefer him in a unit. Beastmen have such low Leadership across the board, I like to keep him in the center of my line so more units can benefit from his Ld.

WhiteKnight
16-11-2008, 16:10
I prefer giving my beastlord strength inhancing weapons. Str 5 is good but when it comes to those nasty monsters the other armies have, you want them to go down so I usually have my beastlord looking like this.

Black Maul, Chaos Armor, Shield, Crown of Horns or Horn of the Great Hunt

A 3+, 5+ is useful and the 5 Str 7 attacks are good. The only issue is frenzy but that's not much of an issue.

lector#1
17-11-2008, 02:20
is there any way on maximizing his attacks better than 5 str 7???

Devon Harmon
17-11-2008, 06:44
If you put him in a unit with the Beast Banner, he will get +1 A when he charges. So this will get you 6 Str 7 attacks.

If he has the MoK, Sword of Battle or Axes of Khorgor, and is in a unit with the Beast Banner, he will get 7 Str 5 attacks on the charge (rerolling misses with the axes).

skank
17-11-2008, 13:44
Yeah, you're right about the 2 arcane items, however, chaos armour only says it may be 'combined with other equipment as normal'. Normal would be not with other magic armours unfortunatly.

How about Tz beastlord on (tz)chariot, with black maul and gortooth? The beastlord gets 5 str 7 attacks (rerolled for hatred) but the mounts can fight in a challenge too. Thats an extra 4 str 5 + 2 strenght 4 attacks on the charge or 6 str 3 attacks if not (with hatred).
Stupid points for a 500pt game though and people will hate 7+ PD at that level.

You can't get bears anger off on a mounted character but on foot he can get those 7 str 7 attacks.

lector#1
17-11-2008, 14:33
nah not on a chariot he is going to be on foot

Devon Harmon
17-11-2008, 15:24
Yeah, you're right about the 2 arcane items, however, chaos armour only says it may be 'combined with other equipment as normal'. Normal would be not with other magic armours unfortunatly.

What effect does this rule have then? To me, it means "combined with other equipment as normal [armour]." No other reading makes sense to me. Does it mean that you can combine it with a mundane shield/mount/barding? I think not, as then every piece of Magic Armour would have this rule.

I think it could've been worded better. Until reading this thread, I never took it with other magic armour, thinking it prohibited. But then I read the text, and the only thing that made sense is that the chaos armour was treated as normal.

Probably not the best argument, but Chaos Armour on any other chaos model can be taken in conjunction with one piece of magic armour, so why should beasts be any different. After all, they are limited to one suit.

skank
17-11-2008, 22:19
It does seem a bit pointless... I guess it's just longwinded wording. It still says as normal and 2 pieces of magic armour taken together would be anything but.

Beast chaos armour is different from the WOC type, you can use 'vaul's unmaking', and the like on it, unlike a WOC suit.