PDA

View Full Version : Skaven 2250 for a friendly game or two

Makarion
14-11-2008, 09:11
A friend asked me to write a Skaven list for him. I'm pretty sure what models he has available, although I could be off a model or two here and there.

Do you feel this is a decent list, in the face of the current gaming scene? I expect we'll see Chaos daemons, Dark Elves (or VC), Wood Elves and High Elves, although those won't necessarily be as magic-heavy or packed with special characters as you might expect.

Do you feel that it's too shooty? I don't think he's got the models assembled to field many more clanrats, which also means he cannot field more units that are limited by his mainstay core.

I know he has a second WLC, as well as a Grey Seer with Screaming Bell, in case this list gets the thumbs-down.

Warlord [162]
Halberd, heavy armour
Twisted Crown of the Horned Rat, Enchanted Shield
[In a block of clanrats]

Chieftain [104]
BSB. Heavy armour
The Foul Pendant
[In a block of clanrats]

Warlock Engineer [135]
Kit minus pistol
Storm Daemon, Dispel Scroll
[In a unit of Nightrunners]

Warlock Engineer [130]
Kit minus pistol
Death Globes, Dispel Scroll
[In a unit of Nightrunners]

31 Clanrats [235]
Musician, standard bearer
Ratling Gun

30 Clanrats [230]
Musician, standard bearer
Ratling Gun

20 Clanrat Slaves [44]
Musician

20 Clanrat Slaves [44]
Musician

3 Poisoned Wind Globadiers [30]

3 Poisoned Wind Globadiers [30]

24 Stormvermin [307]
Full Command
Ratling Gun
Umbranner

6 Gutter Runners [102]
Poisoned Handweapons
Tunneling Team

6 Gutter Runners [102]
Poisoned Handweapons
Tunneling Team

8 Warplock Jezzails [160]

21 Plaguemonks [176]
Additional handweapons
Full Command
Banner of Burning Hatred

7 Plague Censer Bearers [119]

Warp-Lightning Cannon [100]

Total: 2250
Characters: 537
Core: 960
Special: 540
Rare: 219
Models: 196 [almost a real horde]

Note: I've tried to limit panic tests by using units of 6 skirmishers maximum, other than the PCB, who are too cool not to go for the maximum useful width!

Foegnasher
14-11-2008, 12:58
my 2 cents.

it's to small. so you gotta minimize the usless, random parts of your army.

so:
1) lose the warplighting cannon. totally random.
2) lose the banner of burning hatred. it make your monk unit completely uncontrollable.
3) lose the foul pendant on the chieftan. he should be in the back of a unit, never to come into contact with enemy models.
bust both clanrat units down to 25. make em' a little more nimble.
4) please a halbard wielding warlord isnt going to scare any character. since he's only going to be provideing cr against rank and file mooks, lose it.
with these 216 points. you need to:
1) get another unit of 25 clanrats. (150)
2) get another unit of slaves (44)
3) put the warbanner (25) somewhere, probobly on the bsb.

Makarion
14-11-2008, 14:16
The defensive items on the characters are there to deal with scouts, tunnelers, and flyers. Those aren't rare enough that I feel that a model in the rear ranks can survive with zero defense at all. It'd be a sad day when a unit of half a dozen scouting skinks were to take out one's General, and all the leadership that comes with it.

Foegnasher
14-11-2008, 14:40
The defensive items on the characters are there to deal with scouts, tunnelers, and flyers. Those aren't rare enough that I feel that a model in the rear ranks can survive with zero defense at all. It'd be a sad day when a unit of half a dozen scouting skinks were to take out one's General, and all the leadership that comes with it.

i guess i am just used to playing a different style of skaven, in my army, no unit is worth more than 150 points. my characters are all dirt cheap, and imminantly expendable.

i guess my thoughts are, you need more units (more clanrats, more slaves, where are the giant rats?) and less wonky toys. (the ratlinguns are so easy to kill now, i dont take weapons teams anymore...)

Makarion
14-11-2008, 14:52
How, then, do you deal with flying demon lords or vampires, who can spread terror from the back of your army and kill two ranks at a time in close combat? That's when you really want to have some firepower on your side :).

Foegnasher
14-11-2008, 15:02
How, then, do you deal with flying demon lords or vampires, who can spread terror from the back of your army and kill two ranks at a time in close combat? That's when you really want to have some firepower on your side :).

such nusances never make thier points back, i redirect them off the board or into a flank charge, or in the case of big gribblies, give em the PWG treatment. my 10 ld from my warlord and ranks typically makes the terror a minimal problem. i crushed a o and g army led by a Black orc on a wyvern. everything else got squished, and he was all that was left.

happy_doctor
14-11-2008, 15:21
Your list is a decent, balanced list. I'm not one to propose radical changes to anyone's list, as uniformity can't be a good thing. In this spirit, I'll try to give you insight on how to ameliorate the performance of the force you've already picked. (which, as I already said, is a good list to boot)

-Weapons Teams: 3 is too much for my liking, but if you insist on having them, I'd change one to a Warpfire thrower for added variety. Now, you'll need to protect these from shooting and use them with caution in the first turns of the game. I suggest buying a couple of 6-strong units of nightrunners and using them as screens. Another good tactic is hiding the weapons teams behind their parent unit until the time comes for them to fire.

-Plague Monks: I'll have to echo the opinion of Foegnasher that the Banner of Burning Hatred makes the monks impossible to control. True, it is a battle-winner, but i'd rather give them the Umbranner of a Warbanner instead.

-Warlord: I'd swap the costly Crown for the Warpstone Amulet, regardless of the chance of killing him in the end.. This will save you some points and is more reliable than a regeneration save. The enchanted shield is fair game, it will give him a chance to negate a powerful enemy character in a challenge with his 2+ save/4+ ward.

-Chieftain BSB: Not a fan of your setup, I usually run my BSB's with minimal protection and the War Banner. The cost is the same, but the impact that +2 in combat resolution has is great.

-Warlock Engineers: Nothing wrong here, save for the placement. They have no place inside nightrunners, far too risky. Go with the safe choice and deploy them inside clanrats. No chance for easy panic and better protection against mage-hunters. Personal preference: I like pistols; their stand-and shoot can cause a timely panic check or kill a mage-hunter.

To sum things up, I can't stress enough that your list is fine as is and that there is no reason for it to be streamlined and turned into yet another typical list. Let your friend try this out, then come back for adjustments!

Makarion
14-11-2008, 18:19
Thank you for the kind commentary.

1. The swap of a ratling gun for a warpfire thrower is likely a good idea, as it's quite possible there'll be some regeneration about. My friend is rather fond of his shooting though, so I am not sure he'll want to drop one altogether.

2. Would swapping the Umbranner and Banner of Burning Hatred be a worthwhile idea, or should we just forget about the BoBH for the time being?

3. I'd been considering the Warpstone Amulet, but I was nervous about the risk. Sounds like I'll leave that up to my friend to decide upon :).

4. I was afraid of character sniping by flyers and suicide scouts, but you may have a point. It feels strange to build an infantry army without Warbanner!

5. Are they really safer in a unit of Clanrats? They'll need to be in the front lines to have LoS, and that means they'll be in danger from enemy models in BtB.
How about the Deathglobes? They seem pretty good to me, but I have never seen them actually used...

6. Thanks again :).