PDA

View Full Version : Chaos question ... just checking

Latro
21-11-2005, 10:29
Do you ever experience that feeling of doubt when you discover something that you have always taken for granted (without bothering to really check) suddenly turns out to be ... well ... not so granted afterall?

Well I do ;)

I was planning to include an Aspiring Champion in my army (Mark of Chaos Undivided) so that he could join-up with the mounted Marauders when needed.

But can a character with the Mark of Chaos Undivided join an unmarked unit?

- page 46 says Marked characters can only join units with the same Mark
- page 55 says that unmarked units lead by a Marked character are considered to be Chaos Undivided

So can I join my Aspiring Champion of Chaos Undivided with the mounted Marauders? ... and is there anything official on this topic? (couldn't find any myself)

And a follow-up question:

How does the Marked character affect the unit (which only counts as if being Chaos Undivided), would the unit get a re-roll for psychology tests if the character is with them. My guess is it would be restricted to himself when he's on his own.

:cool:

mikkjel
21-11-2005, 11:13
He can join.

Avian
21-11-2005, 11:51
How does the Marked character affect the unit
It doesn't. If a character has a special rule then it applies to him, not to other people nearby, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Thus a Khornate champion would not make Marauders frenzied, for example, and an Undivided champion would not let the unit re-roll psychology tests.

So marked characters can join any unmarked units but don't give them any bonuses, apart from the very useful one of adding a few kills in combat.

Festus
21-11-2005, 11:59
Hi

- page 55 says that unmarked units lead by a Marked character are considered to be Chaos Undivided

Where on p.55 does it say so? I didn't find it...

But yes, the others were right: A Marked Character can join a unit with the same Mark OR a unit with no Mark at all.
And the benefits of the Mark do not spill over to the unit.

You simply may not combine Marks within units, but you may combine Marked/non-Marked.

Greetings
Festus

Latro
21-11-2005, 13:00
It doesn't. If a character has a special rule then it applies to him, not to other people nearby, unless specifically stated otherwise.

I know, I was a bit confuzled by the "explanation" on page 55 which kinda makes everything unmarked "by default" Chaos Undivided. Unless there is an official ruling on it I would say that this does not actually give the Mark and it's effects to unmarked units.

Where on p.55 does it say so? I didn't find it...

Under the header "The Chaos General", first dot:

"If your general has the Mark of Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh or Tzeench, then other characters and units in the army may only have the same Mark (or have no Mark at all and be Chaos Undivided)."

:cool:

Festus
21-11-2005, 13:23
Hi

"If your general has the Mark of Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh or Tzeench, then other characters and units in the army may only have the same Mark (or have no Mark at all and be Chaos Undivided)."

Ah, I see...

It doesn't mean that your unmarked units are considered Chaos Undivided, as *Undivided* is considered a Mark (with the benefit of re-rolling Psy-tests for no additional cost). Your marked units for who you have not chosen a Mark are Undivided to start with

It means: You may mix the Mark *Undivided* and unmarked units into an army following a General bearing one of the four great Marks.

So even if your General bears the Mark of Khorne, you may include Chaos Knights, who by default bear the Mark of Undivided.
You may not, however, upgrade those Knights with a different Mark than Khorne. So no Nurgle Chosen Knights for a Khorne General.

Greetings
Festus