PDA

View Full Version : Coffee in 40k?

BeatTheBeat
15-11-2008, 12:23
I can vaguely remember that coffee goes by some other name in the 40k universe, but can't for my life find it anywhere! I know it's in the Ciaphas Cain novels somewhere, but I don't have access to them ATM.

Anybody care for some quick help on this extremely important matter? :cries:

The Guy
15-11-2008, 12:25
Tanna? I think thats some Valhallan thing that's considered an 'aquired taste'
So it's not as popular as coffee, but I think it serves the same role.

Bloodknight
15-11-2008, 12:27
They just say Caffeine to it. IIRC that's even in a snippet in the Guard codex, the story with Gaunt, probably.

warmaster_dan
15-11-2008, 12:45
They just say Caffeine to it. IIRC that's even in a snippet in the Guard codex, the story with Gaunt, probably.

Yeah, 'caffeine' appears quite a bit in Gaunt's Ghosts and Eisenhorn/Ravenor, and is clearly the same as coffee.

Col. Tartleton
15-11-2008, 13:46
Its recaff in Cain. Its not coffee IMO, if only because it isn't... its as likely a Guarana based drink or entirely alien substitute that contains the desired caffeine affect.

Tanna is a tea equivalent, probably a unrefined plant taste like white tea. Which would explain why its an acquired taste.

Amasec is a brandy I believe, or a whiskey.

Bloodknight
15-11-2008, 13:55
Tanna is probably derived from Tannine, the stuff that makes tea bitter. :)

DapperAnarchist
15-11-2008, 15:23
Theres that fungal moonshine stuff from Necromunda... Snakebite? Snake something... Amasec always seemed like a lovely drink somehow. I think its the name.

The Judge
15-11-2008, 15:27
Wildsnake - brewed with a snake in the bottom of the bottle!

Bloodknight
15-11-2008, 15:29
Wildsnake ;). AFAIK it's supposed to include actual snakes, at least according to a few short stories I've read in the late 90's when Inferno! was still published.

edit: beaten...

BeatTheBeat
15-11-2008, 16:16
Recaff is the term I was looking for! A great many thanks, col. tartleton! :)

Lord Cook
15-11-2008, 16:56
We've also got razhvod as a stand in for vodka, featured with the Vostroyans in Rebel Winter.

Finnblood
15-11-2008, 17:13
Dark Heresy Core Book, p. 149:
Recaf
Recaf is a popular hot beverage, made from crushed and brewed leaves. The composition can vary from planet to planet, but most blends have stimulant such as caffeine as a basic release agent.

So, basically recaf is an umbarella term for any stimulating, plant-based hot beverage (such as Coffee, Cocoa, Tea, Yerba Mate...).

Coasty
15-11-2008, 18:07
Dark Heresy Core Book, p. 149:
Recaf
Recaf is a popular hot beverage, made from crushed and brewed leaves. The composition can vary from planet to planet, but most blends have stimulant such as caffeine as a basic release agent.

That's tea. Not necessarily the drinks made from actual tea leaves, but it certainly sounds like the wide range of drinks currently known as 'teas'.

Hrw-Amen
15-11-2008, 19:00
Tanna and Recaf do seam quite popular, but I guess that there are many substitutes for tea and coffee all over the galaxy many derived from whatever grows local tot he system. I gues they all pretty much serve the same purpose as tea and coffee now though.

DapperAnarchist
15-11-2008, 19:47
Oh yeah, Wildsnake. Snakebite is the real drink... Wildsnake appears in a fluff piece for BFG, featuring a fearsome Admiral lecturing cadets, at the end he rewards himself with a shot of wildsnake, to remind himself of his humble origins, and cos he likes the stuff.

MrBigMr
15-11-2008, 19:57
I've come across caffeine in at least two novels, and I think they from different authors as well. Can't be sure, but that's a word I know of. I quess one can call it what ever you like. They don't call coffee coffee everywhere on Earth either. Few billion planets have surely to come up with their own names for things.

baphomael
15-11-2008, 21:55
Its recaff in Cain. Its not coffee IMO, if only because it isn't... its as likely a Guarana based drink or entirely alien substitute that contains the desired caffeine affect.

Tanna is a tea equivalent, probably a unrefined plant taste like white tea. Which would explain why its an acquired taste.

Amasec is a brandy I believe, or a whiskey.

Amasec is probably akin to brandy, cognac or armangac rather than whiskey. The Guard codex notes its an alcoholic drink distilled from wine - so its probably a kind of brandy.

Lord Malice
15-11-2008, 23:00
Wildsnake, bah, Second Best is what real men drink.

olmsted
16-11-2008, 03:35
Second Best bah, Fenrisian Ale is what real Marines drink

Wolfblade670
16-11-2008, 06:05
Fenrisian Ale bah, blood is what real Marines drink... :D

Adra
16-11-2008, 09:27
Blood bah, Fuzzy Naval is what real Marines drink.

Wolfblade670
16-11-2008, 09:52
:eyebrows:

Only Nurgle Marines are that hardcore...

MrBigMr
16-11-2008, 10:02
Mahreeens(!) only drink the manlies of manly tears. It's what gives them their strength and endurance. The rest is just technobabble.

DapperAnarchist
16-11-2008, 10:30
Dark Angel's used to drink from a cup of each others blood once a year... This was back when they still wore black and stuff... ah, Rogue Trader.

olmsted
16-11-2008, 21:38
so then they really are a bunch of emos

JJsmoothdaddy
17-11-2008, 00:38
Marines can drink whatever they wish.. a true follower of the Emperor of Man in need of a fix lights up a lho stick!

kylsnik ironhead
17-11-2008, 02:12
Ork Grog now there is a mans drink

nazrag
17-11-2008, 10:54
Ork Grog now there is a mans drink

now I'm sure you mean sacra ;)

Psyker Bearzerker
18-11-2008, 07:44
Dark Angel's used to drink from a cup of each others blood once a year... This was back when they still wore black and stuff... ah, Rogue Trader.

pfft, like blood angels, who aren't all that manly as far as space marines go IMO... Nor is any chapter that has the name 'Angel'. Might as well add 'Rainbow and Unicorn Gumdrop Space Marines'

TheDarkDaff
18-11-2008, 09:49

Still do, the Feast of Malediction.

I'm sure Sly Marbo would just suck on a couple of Hallucinogen Grenades rather than pussyfoot around with lho sticks.

BaronDG
18-11-2008, 10:19
Omophagea. This complicated implant becomes part of the brain, but is actually situated within the spinal cord between the cervical and thoracic vertebrae. Four nerve sheaths called neuroglia are implanted between the spine and the Preomnor wall. The Omophagea is designed to absorb genetic material generated in animal tissue as a function of memory, experience or innate ability. A Marine can actually learn by eating. Incidentally, it is the presence of this organ which has created the various flesh and blood drinking rituals for which the Marines are famous, as well as giving the names to Chapters such as the Blood Drinkers, Flesh Tearers etc.

Just for your information...

JJsmoothdaddy
18-11-2008, 22:28
I'm sure Sly Marbo would just suck on a couple of Hallucinogen Grenades rather than pussyfoot around with lho sticks.

Haha very true.. but Ursarker Creed's ripping down a fat lho stick in his model and he looks like a stud, plain and simple.:D

Gearux
19-11-2008, 00:43
In the Eisenhorn/Ravenor series the call it caff. In a universe as massive as the Imperium, I'm sure there are plenty of colloquialisms.

Scion of Ferrus
19-11-2008, 10:44
Marines can drink whatever they wish.. a true follower of the Emperor of Man in need of a fix lights up a lho stick!

Iron Hands drink WD40 and Castrol GTX:chrome:

insainiac
20-11-2008, 06:41
i think it's just called caff or something

it wouldn't be coffee unless the worlds other then earth have coffee beans too! :D

Aurellis
20-11-2008, 12:09
Coffee is 'Recaff' or 'Caffeine'

Tanna is a strange form of herbal tea

Sai-Lauren
20-11-2008, 13:15
Tanna and Recaf do seam quite popular, but I guess that there are many substitutes for tea and coffee all over the galaxy many derived from whatever grows local tot he system. I gues they all pretty much serve the same purpose as tea and coffee now though.

Don't forget, tea and coffee plants will almost certainly have been transplanted to other worlds, either diliberately for agriculture, or accidentally.

Same for sugar, most fruit and veg, herd animal feed stock plants, tobacco and so on.

Drug plants would probably have made their way off Earth as well, if only so that the crime/drug cartels could grow them in relative peace.

Xeno-fauna (rather than Xenos-fauna, like the Catachan face eater ;) ) would only add to what we can eat, drink, smoke and otherwise indulge in, it certainly wouldn't replace it (and there may be a certain religious/propaganda value in people growing and eating plants descended from "pure" terran stock).

BaronDG
20-11-2008, 14:45
I thought the tanna leaves came from the old mummy movies: the leaves you had to boil to summon forth the mummy. He is the main fellow to drop small names and hints and tacky jokes here and there...