PDA

View Full Version : New WE Player- Help!

Harlequin's Kiss
15-11-2008, 15:26
Hello! I am real new to Fantasy Warhammer and I am going to have friends come over and we are going to play lots of games. I need some help defeating DE, HE, Scaven, and Lizardmen. Could you help me with what could be tweaked or left alone. ( not many flammable people because the DE and HE are big fire users.)

Lords

Spellweaver
Level 4
Wand of Wych Elm
Divination Orb

Hero

WE Noble
Add Hand Weapon
Light Armor
Steed
Hail of Doom
Helm of the Hunt

Spellsinger
Level 2
Glamourweave Kindred
Steed
Enchanted Shield

Core

12 Glade Guard
Saemrath- Banner of the Zenith
10 Glade Guard

10 Glade Rider
HorseMaster
SB

2x 16 Eternal Gaurd
2x Eternal
Faoghir- The Banner of Dwindling

10 Dryad

Special

12 Wardancer
Bladesinger

8 Wild Riders of Kurnous
Faoghir- Banner of Dwindling

Rare

10 Waywatchers
Shadow Sentinel

Special- 488
Rare-258
TOTAL - 2497

Malorian
15-11-2008, 21:10
You have to be on foot to use two hand weapons. You can't give the mage the enchanted shield since he can't take armor normally.

You should make the gladeguard with the banner of zenith scouts.

I don't think the horse master is worth it. The musician definately is though.

12 Wardancers is too large. The most that will ever fight is 7.

Break those waywatchers into two units of 5 to make better use of them and probably drop the champ.

You might want to think of moving the horse to the mage lord to help keep her from danger when the enemy gets near. That's a lot points that you won't be able to protect easily.

Your on the right track, you just need to refine it :)

RavenBloodwind
15-11-2008, 21:30
Some thoughts, and Malorian is right in so far as what he's said.[QUOTE=Harlequin's Kiss;3081399]
Spellweaver
Level 4
Wand of Wych Elm
Divination Orb
Not sure the divination is needed here but if your opponents use a lot of lord-level casters go for it

WE Noble
Add Hand Weapon
Light Armor
Steed
Hail of Doom
Helm of the Hunt
as indicated you don't gain anything for AHW when mounted, a spear would at least give you +1S on the charge. He'd do better as an alter noble with the same equipment but a great weapon

Spellsinger
Level 2
Glamourweave Kindred
Steed
Enchanted Shield
Not convinced the kindred is your friend here. You get a ward save but the only unit she can join will be the wild riders. The wild riders need to be in combat which is the last place you want your mage. I'd drop the kindred and maybe get a dispel scroll. And as already stated, no shield for you
Core

12 Glade Guard
Saemrath- Banner of the Zenith
10 Glade Guard
zenith is certainly better on scouts, maybe springtide instead?

10 Glade Rider
HorseMaster
SB
no standards, nor champions, nor ranks for glade riders. They can't get a rank bonus, they'll block their own LOS and they'll die and run, thereby losing their banner. Just split to 2 5-strong units both with a musician, you'll be MUCH happier

2x 16 Eternal Gaurd
2x Eternal
Faoghir- The Banner of Dwindling
I'm not a fan of the eternal guard. If you are, go for it but I'd make just a single larger (24-28 strong) unit with full command and the warbanner

10 Dryad
arguably 8 with a champ will do more than 10

Special

12 Wardancer
Bladesinger
as already stated, split into 2 7-8-strong units with champ and musician

8 Wild Riders of Kurnous
this unit is rather too large, 6 should suffice. Also you've taken the Faoghir banner twice, which is a no-no. I'd give them full command and if you don't give the EG the warbanner give it to these guys

Rare

10 Waywatchers
Shadow Sentinel
shadow sentinel is really not worth his points. Sure he's a regular trooper with BS6 (!) but he's just a 1-attack base unit champ with AHW. Split this unit into 2 5-strong units with no upgrades

Harlequin's Kiss
16-11-2008, 00:39
Wow, Thank you for all the help.

I made lots of changes and addons.

Look it over and see if there is anything else.

Lords

Spellweaver
Level 4
Wand of Wych Elm
Power Stone
Elven Steed

Hero

WE Noble
Great Weapon
Light Armor
Hail of Doom
Helm of the Hunt
Alter Kindred

Spellsinger
Level 2
Steed
2xDispel Scroll

Branchwraith
level 1
cluster of radiants
murder of spites

Core

12 Glade Guard
Aech- Banner of Springtide

10 Glade Gaurd

2x 5 Glade Rider
2xMusician

26 Eternal Gaurd
Eternal
Sb
Musician

8 Dryad
Branch Nymph

Special

2x 8 Wardancer

6 Wild Riders of Kurnous
Warbanner
Musician
Wild Hunter

Rare

2x 5 Waywatchers
Special-451
Rare-240
TOTAL - 2497

Edit # 3
Edit # 4 - Current Army

This list is going against HE,DE,Scaven,Lizardmen. HE and DE use fire every game. The DE user is undefeated in our group and at our gaming room we go to. So i see almost no hope in beating the DE.

Makarion
16-11-2008, 00:48
Feel lucky that you don't have to face daemons. My wood elves are feeling quite sad lately, since there's two daemon players I face in our small group, and both are Tzeentz-heavy - lots and lots of fire. Today's game, a two versus two team game (2* 1,500 points on each side) saw me face 11 PD from the daemons alone. And then there's the regenerating plaguebearers of doom. Ugh.

Dark Elves, though, aren't quite as scary. They are quite susceptible to bowfire, and it's not too hard for us to generate a healthy amount of dispel dice.

Something I have found, to my disappointment, is that a lot of the newer armies have easier access to magic attacks, and our forest spirits suffer. More and more I am leaning towards using Glade Riders and Waywatchers instead of Dryads and a Treeman. The latter, especially, suffers from the popularity of armies not easily affected by terror.

Harlequin's Kiss
16-11-2008, 00:54
Oh, does anyone also know how to remove a hydra from the game? the times i face it is hard to kill.

Makarion
16-11-2008, 00:58
If you use a Spellweaver, Lore of Beasts is probably your best bet. The Beast spells also work well against Cold One Knights and Chariots.

Alternatively, stay in the forest and treesurf in safety to juicier targets. It's fairly slow going, but a minor victory is a win as well.

Harlequin's Kiss
16-11-2008, 01:05
If you use a Spellweaver, Lore of Beasts is probably your best bet. The Beast spells also work well against Cold One Knights and Chariots.

Alternatively, stay in the forest and treesurf in safety to juicier targets. It's fairly slow going, but a minor victory is a win as well.

Wow, thats nice they like cold ones alot.

The board we will be using is mine. I will be finishing within a week. it has a grass mat and will consist of mostly forests and hills with some mountains and broken fences. Its my board and will give me a home advantage with the forests.

One thing people say is to trap the enemy in the trees and tree sing which does dmg to the people in the trees? is that true and is it a good strategy?

RavenBloodwind
16-11-2008, 01:27
Your updated list is much more flexible. I think you'll like it much better.

As to treesinging for damage, it is the second way to use the spell. People debate about the range (18" vs any forest) so make sure you and your group are clear on how you're playing it.

Beasts with beast cowers is huge against CoK and hydras.

Realistically though, massed shooting at the hydras can work. The beast lore hunter's spear can also put a dent in his day. Generally though just avoiding the scaly bugger and keeping him in the trees is a very workable plan.

I'd look at your noble a second go around. He's got rather low mobility without a mount or the alter kindred.

Another nasty surprise you can give your opponent is putting the deepwood sphere on your mage lord. Every one of his models that comes into the forest will take a S5 hit in your magic phase. That makes hydras a tad sad too.

One housekeeping issue: your eternal guard are actually a special choice because you don't have a wood elf lord as your general. Fortunately you have a spare special slot but just remember they aren't core without a lord as your general.

Harlequin's Kiss
16-11-2008, 02:03
Ok i got rid of Ranu's Hearthstone(re-roll one dice when casting or dispelling)
and i added the Alter Kindred to my Noble.

Emeraldw
16-11-2008, 17:25
Lords

Spellweaver
Level 4
Wand of Wych Elm
Power Stone
Elven Steed
This is how I run mine, except I use an eagle. Trade the power stone for a dispel scroll imo.

Hero

WE Noble
Great Weapon
Light Armor
Hail of Doom
Helm of the Hunt
Alter Kindred
Exactly what I do.

Spellsinger
Level 2
Steed
2xDispel Scroll
I don't know what kind of magic you face. In my groups I run 6 DD (with re-roll) and 1-2 Dispel scrolls. This has been enough in most cases to stop a lot of casting. I'm also not a huge fan of spellsingers largely because the lore of Athel Loren is not that strong, especially if you only know 2 spells. I take a branchwraith as a caster + cluster of radiants. Gives Drayds a bit more hit and provides another treesinging.

Core

12 Glade Guard
Aech- Banner of Springtide
I never use the magic banners given to us as I find them weak. I also rarely encounter a situation where someone is so close I can't stand and shoot. That's me though. Also 12 is a bit unwieldy imo, as I usually place the free wood in the middle cutting lanes of movement. 10 is usually enough for me and is easy to calculate. (a lot of things end up being 120 points).

10 Scouts
Saemrath-Banner of the Zenith
Scouts are expensive imo. Since you have waywatchers, you don't really need Scouts. Another basic glade guard unit might be better.

2x 5 Glade Rider
2xMusician

26 Eternal Gaurd
Eternal
I assume you have full command? A group of 25 with command is fine. Since This is a standard stand and fight unit I assume that you have a SB in there with a musician.

8 Dryad
Branch Nymph
If you use a branchwriath, you'll need a champion. I love my drayds btw. :D

Special

2x 8 Wardancer
2xBladesinger
2xmusician

You don't really need the blade singers. They are 14 points for one more attack on a unit that can have 3 per guy at WS6. Dropping them gives you back 28 points. The mussicians are not really needed either since if you are only winning by one on the charge with them, you have a problem.

6 Wild Riders of Kurnous
Wild Riders move 9 and are getting 3d6 anyway. You don't really need this banner. Personally I like the War Banner when I give them a magic banner as +1 to CR can help out.

Rare

2x 5 Waywatchers

Fantastic for picking off heavy Cav :D

Thats what I have to say. I'll point out that I included what I would do. But thats how I give advice, I state what I would do. It's up to you to see what works for you and figure out what advice from me you like and what you don't.

I will say one thing. Consider a Treeman. He has been an MVP for a great deal many games.

That's all from me, good luck!

Harlequin's Kiss
16-11-2008, 18:29
I have updated my army list.

I followed many of your ideas and changed lots of the list. Some of the things you told me to do are different that everyone else that posted. Look at the list that has been edited. Im gonna play today with the DE since he is my brother. So this list will be up to a complete challenge.

Thank you for all your help. i need to focus on what i need to change when im playing today.