PDA

View Full Version : Army Selection

TehBloodGod
16-11-2008, 14:29
Hello, I've been playing WHFB for a month or two now and I'm still not quite sure which army I like. I'm not even sure how to go about picking one... I played 40k and I know its pretty simple... do I want to shoot or assault... and do I want to be a horde or quality over quantity. With Fantasy it seems to be very different.

Could anyone whose been playing for a while and who knows what he's talking about make a nice beginner friendly description of each of the armies (or any of the ones you know) to make it easier for me to find a good one.

Bretonnia and Vampire Counts you dont need to explain, I played them both and I dont like them... though, Mannfred is a beast!

Thanks!

w3rm
16-11-2008, 15:11
Eenie Meenie Miniee Moe! Sike! i picked the army i like because of fluff or the models or money. Money is a huge object to me so ogres was out of the qeustion. Finally i sellted on skaven and now im in love!

TehBloodGod
16-11-2008, 15:17
lol. Well... its a bit harder for me because money is no object... i just keep buying more armies xD

Brimweave
16-11-2008, 15:25
It depends on what you like in a army which really decides what you want in it. You could like an army for:-

Price - can get lots for your money (empire as mostly plastic) so you have more value for money per model or need to buy less as ach models high in points (orges maybe?)
Plastic or Metal - This is a huge decider for me as i detest metal models. Normally newer armybook armies have more plastics than older armies. Empire has alot of plastics while armies like beastmen or skaven have aot of metals.
Winnability - This is simply if an army is easy to win with. If yes then the newer armies will be your thing and these are normally deamons of chaos, high elfs, dark elves and Warriors of Chaos abit.
Fluff - this is of course if they have a good story and indepth story behind them. Dwarfs are normally good for this but also high elves and empire.
Personality - this is whether the army feels "alive" and not just eveeryones the same. This is kinda different from person to person but its normally the undead that are pretty lacking in personality (abit like necrons in 40k).

Theres loads more thing that you can use to make you mind up for your army for fantasy and even a combo of the factors above (e.g. I chose dwarfs as they were good on price, i loved the fluff and personality, due to the lack of it with necrons who are my 40k army).

TehBloodGod
16-11-2008, 15:40
Thats why I was asking for someone to explain the high points of each army.

I'm thinking about dwarves so I can get a large gun line and just sit back and blast the enemy as they get to me.... but I dont know if thats how Dwarves work.... which is why I was asking for people to explain it... before I jump into an army again.

DeerHeart
16-11-2008, 16:09
From your sig I figured something Khorne-centric would be a good idea for you:)
Check out this link about half way down the page
http://warseer.com/taxonomy_menu/1

Hope it helps.

Brimweave
16-11-2008, 18:01
Thats why I was asking for someone to explain the high points of each army.

I'm thinking about dwarves so I can get a large gun line and just sit back and blast the enemy as they get to me.... but I dont know if thats how Dwarves work.... which is why I was asking for people to explain it... before I jump into an army again.

Sorry about that, i went off the point :p.

Dwarfs a pretty fun as they have lots of minutures and fluff behind them and i personally like there minatures. Dwarfs aren't one of the uber winning armies like VC or deamons but not the worst at all, more inbetween.

Dwarfs main speciality is ranged and not budging in combat. Dwarfs have a huge range of great warmachines which can be beefed up with runes like increase strength and rerolling misfires. They even have a flame cannon and organ gun (the machine gun of fantasy). Dwarf ranged core units like thunderers(handgunners) get a +1 to hit which is great and they can do well in combat if they have to.

Dwarf close combat units arn't the strongest but they also are the most stubborn in warhammer. There leadership is very high and have loads of rules which mean even if there loosing combat they will not budge. They however have the problem of being very slow only have 3 inch movement and lack calvary to make this up.

Basically thats dwarfs. Any other questions just post :D.

P.S. Its not best to go with Dwarf Gunlines as you won't make any friends as its pretty boring for the other player. Small gunlines are okay but not a whole army of thunderers and warmachines.

Nicha11
16-11-2008, 20:05
Sorry about that, i went off the point :p.

P.S. Its not best to go with Dwarf Gunlines as you won't make any friends as its pretty boring for the other player. Small gunlines are okay but not a whole army of thunderers and warmachines.

I'd second that, whatever army you start with try not to pick a build that everyone hates.

Nightsword
16-11-2008, 21:02
Check here:

http://warseer.com/warhammer_fantasy_armies_overview

TehBloodGod
17-11-2008, 00:10
I chose Dwarves... check out my 1k list vs goblins... its not a super gun line but I do want to have a focus of Thunderers and War Machines... combat men are for defensive purposes.