PDA

View Full Version : Disgusted with Sonic Blasters

AmBlam
16-11-2008, 19:58
How am I supposed to play this game if GW only give one sonic blaster per box of Noise marines and there is no way to buy more?

If GW can't provide models for thier units then they should delete the units from the codex.

I'm so gutted. I've worked hard to play WYSIWYG, until now.

Grimtuff
16-11-2008, 20:01
Erm,
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat1300084&rootCatGameStyle=

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and quit your ranting.;)

rapscallion
16-11-2008, 20:01
id suggest just buying a box of regular CSM and converting sonic blasters from the bolters...shouldnt be too hard just be creative

Dante010
16-11-2008, 20:03
Stop whining!!!! My god...
Every day there is someone on the site crying about something rules related, model related or otherwise games workshop related little thingy as if it was a company's choice to personally pick on them. You are not that important...

Be creative but for the love of god STOP YOUR CONSTANT WHINING!

There that was my complaint... ;)

Grimtuff
16-11-2008, 20:08
Stop whining!!!! My god...
Every day there is someone on the site crying about something rules related, model related or otherwise games workshop related little thingy as if it was a companies choice to personally pick on them. You are not that important...

Be creative but for the love of god STOP YOUR CONSTANT WHINING!

Or, you could just ring up MO and for a mere £10 per squad equip all of them with SB's and BM. But nobody's posted that option yet.

Oh wait.... ;)

Devil Tree
16-11-2008, 20:23
I have to say that I’m with AmBlam on this one.

A player shouldn’t have to go out and play another $17 to get the standard configuration for a core unit. That’s only for 6 of them too. Oh, and lets not forget that GW rips off it’s customers with shipping too.

I’d say to convert them by slapping some random bitz to their guns, or leave them as is and just call them sonic blasters.

Grimtuff
16-11-2008, 20:38
I have to say that I’m with AmBlam on this one.

A player shouldn’t have to go out and play another $17 to get the standard configuration for a core unit. That’s only for 6 of them too. Oh, and lets not forget that GW rips off it’s customers with shipping too.

The box was released with the 3.5 CSM codex. It is way out of date, the Bitz pack is an absolute snip seeing as a single SB cost £3.50 before. 2 Boxes of CSM will get you 3 Noise Marine squads with SB's and a BM. This is only £66 and is a good chunk of your army.

The only alternative method is to collect up all of the gargoyles from the CSM vehicle sprues, cut off the Bolter barrels and glue them in place.

or leave them as is and just call them sonic blasters.

No, because they're called Boltguns. :eyebrows:

Bloodknight
16-11-2008, 20:40
You don't even have to be creative since GW sells sets with several sonic blasters.

edit: for some reason, my answer took ages to get here. Damned WLAN...

Frep
16-11-2008, 20:42
Umm..Stupid question but isn't the "standard" weapon for Noise Marines bolters, with an upgrade to sonic blasters? By the logic here should I be throwing a tantrum because my tactical box doesn't come with Heavy bolters or Multi-meltas.

Grimtuff
16-11-2008, 20:44
Umm..Stupid question butisn't the "standard" weapon for Noise Marines bolters, with an upgrade to sonic blasters? By the logic here should I be throwing a tantrum because my tactical box doesn't come with Heavy bolters or Multi-meltas.

You would be correct. ;)

PondaNagura
16-11-2008, 21:00
take a bolter, cut ff the ammo mag, use a pin vice to drill an adequate hole in which to insert some wire, doesn't have to be coiled or guitar wire, could even be actual electric wire, attach other end to behind power pack.

that or paint your guns another color, brighter, contrasting, or even paint the riums of your bases a color to signify which guys have what.
so you have your normal rims, bright pink, and maybe orange...or something like that.

while the boxset is a bit dated, GW is a company the rules nudge you to wanting to take multiple options, while the product is somewhat limited, making you buy more of what you need. Supply and Demand.

Chem-Dog
16-11-2008, 21:54
The box was released with the 3.5 CSM codex. It is way out of date, the Bitz pack is an absolute snip seeing as a single SB cost £3.50 before. 2 Boxes of CSM will get you 3 Noise Marine squads with SB's and a BM. This is only £66 and is a good chunk of your army.

My only gripe with the Box/Bitz combo is that you invariably get left with too many Blast Masters (now rendered useless on their own as we can't take NM Havoc squads any more) and not enough Doom Sirens.

Umm..Stupid question butisn't the "standard" weapon for Noise Marines bolters, with an upgrade to sonic blasters? By the logic here should I be throwing a tantrum because my tactical box doesn't come with Heavy bolters or Multi-meltas.

Not really, Anyone seriously using NM's wants full Sonic weapon fit out, actually, it baffles me why the new CSM codex didn't make the Sonic Blaster the Default weapon.

loveless
16-11-2008, 22:02
Not really, Anyone seriously using NM's wants full Sonic weapon fit out, actually, it baffles me why the new CSM codex didn't make the Sonic Blaster the Default weapon.

Actually, some individuals use non-Sonic Blaster Noise Marines coupled with a Doom Siren-equipped champ as a mop-up close combat unit.

As to your other point, the newest C:CSM didn't make the Sonic Blaster the default weapon for two reasons (probably):
1) So that some people could take greater advantage of Initiative 5 and the Doom Siren.
2) So that they wouldn't have to release a box that included multiple Sonic Blasters (kits are supposed to come with the standard equipment).

Devil Tree
16-11-2008, 22:20
It still costs quite a bit to get all those bitz from GW. The bitz themselves will be $17 for each set. The shipping for them will be $8 - $10 depending on how many you buy. The Chaos Marine boxes are $35 each. Even without taking taxes into account, that’s quite a bit of money to shell out for a core unit, especially if you’re on a budget.

With all those costs, you’ll end up paying around 40% more than if you decided to play Khorne Berserkers, Plague Marines, or Thousand Sons.

In the end, it’s better to just convert them.

As far what I meant by SB’s being “standard”, is that they are the most common configuration Noise Marines are seen with.

Chem-Dog
16-11-2008, 22:58
Actually, some individuals use non-Sonic Blaster Noise Marines coupled with a Doom Siren-equipped champ as a mop-up close combat unit.

As to your other point, the newest C:CSM didn't make the Sonic Blaster the default weapon for two reasons (probably):
1) So that some people could take greater advantage of Initiative 5 and the Doom Siren.
2) So that they wouldn't have to release a box that included multiple Sonic Blasters (kits are supposed to come with the standard equipment).

If tpeople are using Noise Marines as mop-up units, they're not serious about using Noise Marines, I'm talking about six squads of the Bleeders as an army Core.
As for the Default weapon issue, The DS could still be an upgrade for the Aspiring Champ and GW SHOULD and I guess probably WILL release a box with multiple SB's, it's like releasing a SM tactical squad with no special or heavy weapons, sure you CAN do it, but why the hell would you want to?!

As far what I meant by SB’s being “standard”, is that they are the most common configuration Noise Marines are seen with.

Exactly the point I was trying to make, there is virtually no point in depriving your Noise marines of their Sonic Blasters.

qwertywraith
16-11-2008, 23:10

This is the truth.

Once upon a time Noise Marines ONLY came with sonic weapons (the old all pewter models).

http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Chaos_Noise_Marine_with_Sonicblaster.gif

When they made the current box they only put a single sonic blaster inside, presumably because it would have driven the cost of the box through the roof. (Also presumably because the all pewter Noise Marine models were never released).

The only reason Noise Marines can take bolters is because they are the victims of a bad set of models, and GWs 3.5 codex which made them also, by default, marines with the Mark of Slaanesh. There is a reason the box is called "Emperor's Children" and not "Noise Marines".

loveless
17-11-2008, 01:52
Well, the Space Marine tactical squad box DOESN'T come with all of its options either, so I don't see the point of comparison. It has all the special weapons and a missile launcher - you have to go elsewhere for the other heavies.

However, I see what you mean by "serious" now - more as in making a "Sonic Army" - which is something I always thought was cool.

GW will likely release a plastic kit with bolters AND sonic blasters at some point, but until then - bitz pack is your best bet for "official" noise blasters.

sydbridges
17-11-2008, 02:18
My only gripe with the Box/Bitz combo is that you invariably get left with too many Blast Masters (now rendered useless on their own as we can't take NM Havoc squads any more) and not enough Doom Sirens.

I agree with you on the irritation about not being able to do NM havoc squads. Ah well, I've got a couple extra blastmaster marines.

But I disagree with you on making the sonic weapons standard, since I tend to equip (and model) my noise marine squads in one of two ways:
Sonic blasters and blastmaster
or
Doom Siren and BP/CCW.

Xavier
17-11-2008, 02:22
I must say; I'm not very impressed with that bitz pack...

If one because I made an army of some 60 odd sonic blaster/sonic weapon armed marines before it was released... and wound up paying for each individual component...

£10 for 6 models' weapons is an absolute steal. :mad:

J-L
17-11-2008, 02:36
Hopefully forgeworld will release Noise Marine upgrade and Noise Weapon kits soon. I'm so bored with how the current Noise Marins look and the Plague Marine/Khorne Berzerker upgrade kits from Forge World are top notch.

Chem-Dog
17-11-2008, 04:03
I agree with you on the irritation about not being able to do NM havoc squads. Ah well, I've got a couple extra blastmaster marines.

Just hope the EC codex happen ;)

But I disagree with you on making the sonic weapons standard, since I tend to equip (and model) my noise marine squads in one of two ways:
Sonic blasters and blastmaster
or
Doom Siren and BP/CCW.

My (admittedly still on paper, largely due to the SB issue) Slaanesh Core is simply 6 squads.
Aspiring Champion with BP and Pw
4 Noise Marines with SB
1 Noise Marine with BM

(yes, that's right SIX men per squad)

It's great at range and really doesn't suffer all that much when on the move (making them awfully flexible), the Doom Siren alone makes getting them into charge range a good idea and then USUALLY I'm hitting first or at least Simultaneously where my Power Jobby can do some damage.
Admittedly it's a little flawed but I like the idea a highly mobile force like this.

The Atavist
17-11-2008, 06:25
I tried to field a Slaanesh themed army in my local leauge and after getting my ass handed to me too many times to count I stopped using noise marines altogether.
They're woefully miscosted, and the +5 points per SB that should be built in makes me cry. BM isnt even worth thinking about as it's a 40 point gun that will buy its points back one in five games. Forget about slaanesh and "fluff" and make a Red corsairs or Black Legion army so you can take anything you want as the new codex is Chaos Renegade Marines anyway, not the Legions.
For your points and $ Khorn and Nurgle are waaaaaaaay better and if you're set on having a gun line (why are you playing chaos?) take Thousand sons.

AmBlam
17-11-2008, 17:57
Erm,
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat1300084&rootCatGameStyle=

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and quit your ranting.;)

How does that page help?

The only alternative method is to collect up all of the gargoyles from the CSM vehicle sprues, cut off the Bolter barrels and glue them in place.

No, because they're called Boltguns. :eyebrows:

What bitz box?

You don't even have to be creative since GW sells sets with several sonic blasters.

edit: for some reason, my answer took ages to get here. Damned WLAN...

Where?

My Csms came with Meltas and heavy bolters???

Thanks for the other replies. I'll do some crap conversion job no doubt.

The sonic blaster defines the noise marine and hence the box should have 6 in or there should be a way to buy 5 more for relative cheapness.

Lord Damocles
17-11-2008, 18:23
Where?
Grimtuff's link :confused:

GW do a 'Sonic Weapons' Bitz Pack. Just so happens that the sites down for maintainence at this precise moment. Give it an hour or so, and you're set.

borithan
17-11-2008, 19:27
Power Jobby can do some damage.Err... What?

loveless
17-11-2008, 20:31
Likely the link leads the OP to the main page of GW's webstore - it tends to happen.

I'll give you the navigation (US Store)

From the store homepage, select Warhammer 40,000.
Click on Warhammer 40,000 Bitz in the drop-down menu.
From here a menu will appear at the left of the screen - select "Weapons" from the options.
Another menu will appear when you expand Weapons - select "Emperor's Children Sonic Weapons"
This will bring you to the Sonic Weapon Bitz Pack.

Description:
"This pack contains 12 metal components, including: five sonic blasters and a blastmaster."

5x Sonic Blaster
5x Sonic Blaster supporting arm
1x Blastmaster
1x Blastmaster supporting arm

Cost:
$17.00 (USD)
Roughly $2.83 per upgraded marine - a bit pricey, but the option is there.

Grimtuff
17-11-2008, 20:34
No, the entire website was down (it's back up now). If you go to a GW link and have no cookie enabled it will take you the front page with all the pictures of minis on it. Select your country and it will take you to the previously clicked link. ;)

Lord Damocles
Store seems to be back up.

Here's a direct link to the Bitz pack on the UK store incase Grimtuff's link goes to the front page:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat1300067&rootCatGameStyle=

EDIT: Grimtuff kung-fu Ninja attack!

qwertywraith
Cost:
$17.00 (USD)
Roughly $2.83 per upgraded marine - a bit pricey, but the option is there.

But WAY cheaper than it used to be, even if you end up with an extra blastmaster here or there.

Now they need a pack with the doom siren backpack and other NM bits.

rev
17-11-2008, 20:37
could someone pm me why sonic blasters are so great? I'm a loyalist but i'm being swayed by all the pink.

rev

AmBlam
17-11-2008, 20:37
Grimtuff's link :confused:

GW do a 'Sonic Weapons' Bitz Pack. Just so happens that the sites down for maintainence at this precise moment. Give it an hour or so, and you're set.

meh I swear on my dear life it was not there when I clicked it. Maybe the .jsp never loaded or someone found it out and fixed it?

loveless
17-11-2008, 20:55
But WAY cheaper than it used to be, even if you end up with an extra blastmaster here or there.

Now they need a pack with the doom siren backpack and other NM bits.

Hmm...come to think of it, it did used to be about $4-5 dollars per sonic weapon and supporting arm set, didn't it?

They definitely need to sell the 2 different doom siren backpacks separately - or maybe even with the NM Champ sword and the NM heads.

AmBlam
17-11-2008, 20:58
£34 for a squad of noise marines.

Never again :)

(Thanks for help)

IAMNOTHERE
17-11-2008, 21:01
Sonic Blasters are great because of the versatility they give your squad at RANGE.

Start 12 - 15" away and you get no benefit - a bolter's just as good. Want to move and fire beyond this and it's stormbolter equivalent :) Need an effective base of fire because a hoard of Orks/nids/ whatever is bearing down on you? Heavy 3 baybee! On top of that you don't have to worry about assulting as your I5 so will probably thin the numbers down significantly before they attack.

No one likes attacking I5 Marine squads.

adreal
17-11-2008, 21:06
I take offense to the slight that if oyur using noise marines without thier blasters, your not using noise marines properly. I use two (soon to be three) 6 man shooty (5 sonic 1 blast) noise squads most of the time (sit them with havocs and watch people cry at your fire base)and 2 6 man assaulty squads in rhino with just a doom siren (and power weapon). I have a punishing fire base (which can move and not loose that much of its shooting potential) and two mobile assault units with a lethal doom siren

MrBigMr
17-11-2008, 21:50
could someone pm me why sonic blasters are so great? I'm a loyalist but i'm being swayed by all the pink.
24" S4 AP5 Assault 2 / Heavy 3. What's not to like. One squad of those will desolate infantry like there's no tomorrow.

As for actual models, there's many, many ways to do such things. For one, my sonic terminators (http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n418/MrBigMr/SoS/termie1.jpg), though just an early prototype at the moment. Ok, there's no such things anymore, but then again I'm using loyalist rules, so it's the least of my sins.

One could do something like that with some plastic bits as well. I've seen people making plastic Grey Knights with wrist storm bolters. Just don't give the gun a magazine and a different muzzle. Or one could get some Tau pulse rifles and with some Chaos bits and right muzzles, turn them into sonic weapons (they have that long barrel thingy going for them). Or maybe use some completely obscure design. Mayse some Tyranid bits, making it into a sort of daemonic weapon that has fused with the user. GS and add some techno bits in there.

sydbridges
17-11-2008, 22:43
My (admittedly still on paper, largely due to the SB issue) Slaanesh Core is simply 6 squads.
Aspiring Champion with BP and Pw
4 Noise Marines with SB
1 Noise Marine with BM

(yes, that's right SIX men per squad)

It's great at range and really doesn't suffer all that much when on the move (making them awfully flexible), the Doom Siren alone makes getting them into charge range a good idea and then USUALLY I'm hitting first or at least Simultaneously where my Power Jobby can do some damage.
Admittedly it's a little flawed but I like the idea a highly mobile force like this.

Yeah, all my guys are currently in 6 man squads (not counting the Sorc). I just find that in practice, the blastmaster is a relatively expensive piece of equipment to get tied up in a melee somewhere. I'd much rather let another squad operate as my doom siren delivery system and keep the blastmaster shooting - it costs approximately 12 million points each, so I want to get the maximum use I can out of it.

MrBigMr
17-11-2008, 23:13
No one can say 6 man squads of Slaaneshi troops is min/maxing. It's fluff what that is.

adreal
17-11-2008, 23:17
No one can say 6 man squads of Slaaneshi troops is min/maxing. It's fluff what that is.

I was actually disallowed from a tournie for using 6 man squads, even with the 'but it's a slaanesh army, it's fluffy for 6 man squads' still tournie orginisers can do what they want, its thier tournie after all

MrBigMr
17-11-2008, 23:25
I was actually disallowed from a tournie for using 6 man squads, even with the 'but it's a slaanesh army, it's fluffy for 6 man squads' still tournie orginisers can do what they want, its thier tournie after all
Yeah, those tournament organizers are dicks. Every last one of them.
*Returns organizing a tournament that's to be held this saturday and sunday. Really.*

Let me guess, they didn't disallow 6 man loyalist Marine squads with Razorbacks?

adreal
18-11-2008, 02:16
Yeah, those tournament organizers are dicks. Every last one of them.
*Returns organizing a tournament that's to be held this saturday and sunday. Really.*

Let me guess, they didn't disallow 6 man loyalist Marine squads with Razorbacks?

um no, you had to have atleast half strength of your troop choices, so for any chaos troop choice that's 10, so if I wanted to go, say 12, no rhino (and an expensive troops choice). I understand they were trying to stop min maxing, but marines could get the 5 man las-plas squads (before the new codex) while my fluffy 6 man noise squads couldn't be used.

I'm not saying that every tournie orginiser is like that, but these ones were like that, and my fluffy list was disallowed, while 5 man las plas was allowed

Captin Korea!
18-11-2008, 02:20
um no, you had to have atleast half strength of your troop choices, so for any chaos troop choice that's 10, so if I wanted to go, say 12, no rhino (and an expensive troops choice). I understand they were trying to stop min maxing, but marines could get the 5 man las-plas squads (before the new codex) while my fluffy 6 man noise squads couldn't be used.

I'm not saying that every tournie orginiser is like that, but these ones were like that, and my fluffy list was disallowed, while 5 man las plas was allowed

Thats... quite stupid, considering the 6 man squads got a free champ under last edition and why would you want to run more than 6 man in a rhino anyway?
As for OP, trade, look on Ebay or buy the newer blisters for 6 more. I made 3 six man's from only buying the box set where you get two and doing a few trades, its not to hard to do.;)

Hellebore
18-11-2008, 06:14
For a start it's NOT the standard armament of the noise marines, their standard armament is the boltgun which can be UPGRADED to a sonic blaster.

Second, I thought this was a rant thread about how SICK they are as a standard Troops choice infantry gun, because they are wrong in a dozen different ways. I would have been behind that rant...

Hellebore

StormWulfen
18-11-2008, 07:35
have you thought of putting a thread in the trading forum?

Inquisitor Engel
18-11-2008, 07:42
I remember when all models were metal, were made of one piece that was nigh unconvertible, we got lead poisoning AND WE LIKED IT.

:p

Hellebore
18-11-2008, 07:44
We had to walk fifteen miles in the snow (because we didn't have this new fangled sensible metric system) with nothing but 2nd ed plastic gretchin for shoes (anyone who's had those KNOW what a nightmare that would be).

Hellebore

Slaaneshi Ice Cream
18-11-2008, 07:56
What is the point of calling them "noise marines" if they don't have sonic weapons?

MrBigMr
18-11-2008, 09:27
I knew it. Twist and turn it how ever you like it, organizers, it's still a loyalist reach around.

Yes they are. Every last one of them. Loathsome creatures they be.

What is the point of calling them "noise marines" if they don't have sonic weapons?
A metal head is a metal head even though his or her head is not actually made of metal.

Hellebore
18-11-2008, 09:42

Perhaps you should ask GW as they've set the unit up that way. I personally think they should be more like they were back in 2nd ed, where you had small units all coming standard with sonic blasters. Say a squad of 3-6.

Hellebore

IAMNOTHERE
18-11-2008, 10:45
I like my 18 Sonic blaster squad of Tarpitted doom too much to agree with you on that one Hellebore. It's like chewing gum, takes ages to shift.

Hellebore
18-11-2008, 10:52
Well of course you'd like such a ridiculous unit, that's why you have it :p

I think a unit that can put 54 shots at 24" with T4 and 3+ sv is a LITTLE bit too much.

Hellebore

adreal
18-11-2008, 11:25

I think a unit that can put 54 shots at 24" with T4 and 3+ sv is a LITTLE bit too much.

Hellebore

you say that like it's a bad thing......

loveless
18-11-2008, 14:54

Hellebore

Oh come now, Hellebore, "too much" is what Slaanesh is all about :p

MrBigMr
18-11-2008, 15:09
Oh come now, Hellebore, "too much" is what Slaanesh is all about :p
Touché, my good man.

AmBlam
18-11-2008, 18:08
Surely Noise Marines got better in 5th.

Every Douche gets a 4+ Cover save so the best dakka dakka is more dakka dakka and if you can see one model you can nuke the whole unit. Combine that with the imba-lash and you could get some serious ownage going.

Ownage!

rev
18-11-2008, 18:19
I'm tempted.

What are the HQ choices like for noise marines do they fit the theme?

How serious are these claims of plastic varients arriving? is it worth holding on?

qwertywraith
18-11-2008, 18:29
I'm tempted.

What are the HQ choices like for noise marines do they fit the theme?

How serious are these claims of plastic varients arriving? is it worth holding on?

There are no "noise" HQ units. There is an apocalypse datasheet that lets you give your commander a doom siren and/or a sonic blaster.

Pretty well any HQ with a mark of Slaanesh will do. The lash-prince or lash-sorcerer are both good. The Slaanesh daemon weapon isn't great except against a few units/non eternal warrior HQs.

There are no plastic sonic blasters on the horizon. I would expect new berserker and plague marine plastics before Noise Marines get a redo.

Forge world has someone contracted to do upgrade packs for Slaanesh and Tzeetch marines, but whether they are Noise Marines or just slaaneshi guys is anyone's guess at this point. I am not expecting them for a while.

rev
18-11-2008, 19:10
Thats really helpful thanks.

Is the lash prince totally essential to make the force viable?

Is it only cheesy if you use two, or is one also cheese? (I hate being called cheesy)

sorry to hijack a perfectly good pointless rant thread, its my nature.

rev

Meriwether
18-11-2008, 20:19
So I did something really, really weird. I called GW, told them that I already have 12 blastmasters (waaaaay more than is necessary with the rules changes), and asked if I could buy just sonic blasters. They said yes and shipped me a bunch, prorated for not including the blastmaster.

...but then, I've ordered over $4,000 in bitz over the past ten years, so maybe they're just extra nice to me.

Meri

sydbridges
18-11-2008, 20:30
Thats really helpful thanks.

Is the lash prince totally essential to make the force viable?

Is it only cheesy if you use two, or is one also cheese? (I hate being called cheesy)

sorry to hijack a perfectly good pointless rant thread, its my nature.

rev

It's probably not totally essential (I don't field one), but the army in general isn't going to win you a lot of tournaments if you go with noise marines as your main/only troops - they're expensive. At 1000 points, I've got 31 models on the table, and that's four troops (all noise marines), an elite (squad of meltachosen), and a sorcerer.

As for 'is two lash princes cheesy?', I think that's going to depend on who you talk to. Certainly, two lash princes leading an army of noise marines doesn't sound particularly cheesy to me, but I'm sure if you look hard enough, someone'll say that one lash prince is cheesy, or that a lash-sorc is cheesy, or that daemon princes in general are cheesy, or that Chaos is a cheesy codex, etc etc.

adreal
18-11-2008, 20:56
In 1750pts (this is my cheesy army) I run two shooty squads of noise marines (5 sonics 1 blast) two combat squads of noise marines (rhino, asp champ with power weapon and doom siren) two havoc sqauds (4 missiles and 4 auto cannons) 3 oblits, a dread (two close combat weapons) and two daemon princes (one with lash one with warptime, both with wings) and it works great.

The princes/dread draw alot of fire power, but will mess things up in combat and are fairly hard to take down, the shooty noise squads, havocs and oblits form a stong fire base and my combat squads go out for objectives and doom siren goodness. But this is a cheesy list, a lord with daemon weapon (or lucius) is a fun addition but my core (the noise squads) never changes, I might add daemons in some games, but yeah a pure noise army (or as pure as you can get) can win, and doesn't need lash, but it is fun

Lord Humongous
03-05-2009, 22:06

Hellebore

It would be a bit much, yes. Fortunatley, no noise marine unit can do that. A unit of 18 puts out 36 shots at 24" if they don't move, or 54 at 12" if they do. Which is still a HELL of a lot of shooting...

Corpse
03-05-2009, 22:28
Buy eldar.
Buy some wire, have clippers and blade ready, bending required.
Use the eldar guns, shave the sides down a bit, add wire.
Rock on.

(Or something similar)

~Use the eldar bodies in question as debree and base material. Bodies slung over the armor or whatever suits you. Even use them as imperial guard shaving them down more.

Aeneas
04-05-2009, 01:00
It would be a bit much, yes. Fortunatley, no noise marine unit can do that. A unit of 18 puts out 36 shots at 24" if they don't move, or 54 at 12" if they do. Which is still a HELL of a lot of shooting...

the range on a sonic blaster is 24" whether the unit moved or not

its not rapid fire, its assault 2 or heavy 3, there is no change to the range

Meriwether
04-05-2009, 01:53
Aaaah! Zombies!

Meri

Lord Humongous
04-05-2009, 03:11
the range on a sonic blaster is 24" whether the unit moved or not

its not rapid fire, its assault 2 or heavy 3, there is no change to the range

Yikes, wonder how I missed that. That's better than I thought!

Cypher, the Emperor
04-05-2009, 05:09
I suppose one could use storm bolters instead, since IIRC Sonic Weapons and Storm Bolters are similar stat-wise

Slaaneshi Ice Cream
04-05-2009, 07:14
It it doesn't carry a sonic weapon, it ain't a noise marine. To me the whole point of noise marines is the sonic weapons. I couldn't care less about I 5.

I still haven't assembled my box of NM because I don't have sonic blasters. Probably end up converting bolters as has been suggested.

Hellebore
04-05-2009, 07:20

Fraid not my rather large friend. The Sonic blaster is 24" S4 AP5 Assault2 or Heavy 3.

So not moving produces 18x3=54 shots at 24" and moving produces 18x2=36 shots at 24".

It is the single most awesome Troops choice weapon that exists at the moment and is mounted on pretty much the single best Troops choice unit in the game. Fearless, pistol + CCW, I5 AND a sonic blaster = wrong. Just the way Slannesh likes it.

EDIT: The Ninja Fairy got me first.

Hellebore

KaldCB
04-05-2009, 08:09
you fail to mention that they cost 25 points each.

And most pepole says grey knights are bad, becuse of their cost. But i think a grey knight is a better buy then a noise marine, with sonic blaster.

IAMNOTHERE
04-05-2009, 09:40
Wow, a topic from the depths of hell...

A problem with this unit when it costs 450pts? Lets see what else you could get for that...

3 Daemonically possessed vindicators?
3 Defilers?
6 Obliterators?

Ok they arn't troops but it's point your not spending elsewhere.

adreal
04-05-2009, 11:04
Wow, a topic from the depths of hell...

A problem with this unit when it costs 450pts? Lets see what else you could get for that...

3 Daemonically possessed vindicators?
3 Defilers?
6 Obliterators?

Ok they arn't troops but it's point your not spending elsewhere.

Yeah true that, and I don't think in any competitive setting you would see a unit of 18 noise marines with sonics, but for the shock value in a friendly/apoc game would be kinda fun

W0lf
04-05-2009, 12:53
one of my mates converted his sonic blasters.

He shaved down all the detail and removed the bolter rounds.

Then he cliped of the end of the bolter barel and made a bird beak barrel from GS. He then used GS to make a screaming face on the (now smooth) side of the bolter.

Looked sick and he did like 20 sonic blasters for 1 pack of GS (£6?)

Meriwether
04-05-2009, 14:40
Yeah true that, and I don't think in any competitive setting you would see a unit of 18 noise marines with sonics, but for the shock value in a friendly/apoc game would be kinda fun

I do it relatively often. I like to field six squads of six noise marines with five sonic blasters and a blastmaster each. That added pinning and blast template comes in awfully handy when you're lashing people into convenient piles for the shoosting and dying part.

Meri

Ravening Wh0re
04-05-2009, 17:19
I do it relatively often. I like to field six squads of six noise marines with five sonic blasters and a blastmaster each. That added pinning and blast template comes in awfully handy when you're lashing people into convenient piles for the shoosting and dying part.

Meri

Ooh, what else do you put in the army? Mine only has 4 squads of 6 (1BM), but is backed by 2 Vindis :D

Meriwether
04-05-2009, 19:21
It depends. Sometimes some DPs and a predator, sometimes vindicators, sometimes not much else!

Meri

firechao
04-05-2009, 22:19

They come with Doom sirens??? Wow, must have lost all 5 that came with my 5 boxes...

Meriwether
05-05-2009, 01:12
He probably meant Blastmasters...

Meri

adreal
05-05-2009, 09:00

Meri

But that's 6 different units, not just one huge unit......

Meriwether
05-05-2009, 14:22
But that's 6 different units, not just one huge unit......

Right. I don't understand your point. Six different scoring units, each with a disproportionate amount of firepower compared to their size, and they're better than assault marines in melee...

Meri

loveless
05-05-2009, 14:25
Right. I don't understand your point. Six different scoring units, each with a disproportionate amount of firepower compared to their size, and they're better than assault marines in melee...

Meri

I think adreal was pointing out that you wouldn't typically see a single choice of 18+ Noise Marines with full sonic weapons, not that you wouldn't see 18+ Noise Marines total in an army.

Meriwether
05-05-2009, 14:32
I think adreal was pointing out that you wouldn't typically see a single choice of 18+ Noise Marines with full sonic weapons, not that you wouldn't see 18+ Noise Marines total in an army.

Right on. I'm a bit dense now and then.

Yeah, a single choice of 18 noise marines would be bulky, cumbersome, tactically much less flexible... Very bad idea!

Meri

IAMNOTHERE
05-05-2009, 15:51
Yep, I use it as a big ol' fire magnet while the rest of my forces do the business.

It's a really survivable prospect as long as you give your opponent choices.

Shoot the defilers or whittle down the 18 Noise marines holding the objective?

Take out the DP or deal with the 18 strong scoring unit next to him?

Choices, choices :)