PDA

View Full Version : Inquisitorial Black Ship Capacity?

Psyker Bearzerker
18-11-2008, 04:59
Does anyone have an Idea of the transport capacity of The black ships that transport Psykers to Terra?

It doesn't give me a number in the inquisitor wars and I cant find my copy of faith and fire.

if anyone has any guesstimates it would truly help me out with some writing.

The Judge
18-11-2008, 09:06
Pretty sure they're not all the same size, so the numbers would vary a great deal.

At least thousands though, if not hundreds of thousands.

Maidel
18-11-2008, 09:41
lots.

And that's a serious answer. As the previous poster implied they have never said that the black ships are in fact a class of ship. I susspect that in some areas there is the "black shuttle craft" and in others there is something akin to a full space marine battle barge.

Devil Tree
18-11-2008, 09:53
Considering how many of them were “volunteered”, I’d figure that you wouldn’t want to pack too many of them in one ship. Especially when they find out how they will honor the emperor with their “service”.

Even if they are willing, they would still be an all-you-can-eat buffet for the demons of the warp.

Ikkaan
18-11-2008, 09:57
As a general idea i would suggest the image from the adventure "Purge the Unclean" for the Dark Heresy Roleplaying Game.

Map of a space hulk with derelict black ship:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/dark-heresy/images/40K-maps/twilight-scan-big.gif

Map of the holds:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/dark-heresy/images/40K-maps/holds-big.gif

So, 13 Holds multiplied with 34 Cells = 442 Cells

Each cell is 10x10 metres, so there are probably a few inmates in each cell. Lets apply imperial standard procedure (chain them up in psionic dampener shackles and give them 1.5x1.5m of space with double bunk beds) and its possible to cram 14 inmates in there. 18 if you are particularly cruel.

That would allow for a capacity betwen 6188 and 7956 psykers. But as to previous posts, this would just be for this type of ship.

Anyone that would recognize the ships class from the map?

PS: Damn, i would construct the holds with quick-vent ability...better be able to get rid of them in case of fubar.

TheBedla
18-11-2008, 09:58
Considering how many of them were “volunteered”, I’d figure that you wouldn’t want to pack too many of them in one ship. Especially when they find out how they will honor the emperor with their “service”.

Even if they are willing, they would still be an all-you-can-eat buffet for the demons of the warp.

They would not, unless the Gellar field shuts down (which would be trouble for any ship in the Warp).
Also, I presume they keep the "cargo" somehow incapacitated, drugged or psy-chained.

Griefbringer
18-11-2008, 11:15
2nd edition rulebook, page 73:

"In the thirteen holds, each as cavernous as a temple nave, our human cargo sent up a great wailing and moaning. I counted twenty thousand souls boud for service."

DapperAnarchist
18-11-2008, 12:09
Also, just for clarification - the Psyker tithe is carried in the Black Ships, crewed by the Adeptus Astra Telepathica, who have responsibility for all Psykers in the Imperium, with the exceptions of the Emperor (obviously), the Librarians, the Navigators, and the Psykers of the Inquisition. The Inquisitorial black ships (notice the capitalisation) are warships and transports used by the Inquisition that appear on no listing. While a black ship might accompany a Black Ship to provide protection, and a Black Ship might have an Inquisitor on board, they're not the same.

But at least 10,000, perhaps even 1,000,000 (if a single troop transport can carry 5 million men and their gear in military comfort, a Black Ship can carry a million doomed psykers)

Rezvak
18-11-2008, 12:40
As one of the previuos posters said, it's important to note the difference between the black ships operated by the Adeptus Astra Telepathica and the black ships of the Inquisiton.

As you are referring to the ships used to transport psykers to the Emperor, I would suggest making them not larger than cruiser sized. It is important that they be quick to visit as many worlds as possible, and you don't want to have too many psykers on board, Geller field or no Geller field.

The Judge
18-11-2008, 13:11
I like the idea that they have 13 holds... just seems to fit my view of the superstitious Imperium. Of course the actual size of the 13 holds would vary with the size of the ships.

Ikkaan
18-11-2008, 14:04
20,000...hmm....if the more content prisoners are chained to the floor outside the cells (which would make it a lot more like a medieval dungeon) i would agree to this number (if applied to the dark heresy map). i would even agree to 60,000.

But the STENCH....omg....

Just reimagined my view of these ships. Till now i thought of them as high tech - high security prisons. Now they are flying meat wagons.

The Judge
18-11-2008, 14:08
Oh yeah, they are not happy places to be. Just drug them so they can't use their powers and chuck them in the cell.

PondaNagura
18-11-2008, 14:28
i'd wager a lot of them, in the thousands, there must be a ship quota they must reach before returning to Terra, more likely to be in shere numbers as opposed to psy-level.

granted i could see them finding and detaining a more powerful psyker and granting him/her a private suite in one of the holding cells due to the security it takes to transport them...