PDA

View Full Version : Dwarves (me) vs Orcs (my friend) campaign

TehBloodGod
19-11-2008, 22:20
My friend and I are playing a campaign. It will be very fluffy and everything and will be going on this weekend. He told me he isnt going to be using magic and I told him I'd be using 4 Special and 2 Rare unit slots worth of War Machines. I was wondering if anyone had some tactical advice on how to beat him/what to do.

We will be playing 1000pts, 1500pts and 2000pts.

Make sure your advice is fluffy! Thanks

grumbaki
19-11-2008, 23:59
Anything works, really. Dwarfs v. Orcs is just the perfect matchup.

As he will be using no magic, leave the runesmiths at home. And because you want to go really warmachine heavy (4 special and 2 rare of warmachines), then go for an engineer based list.

Core:
For this, you'll need static combat resolution. You will not, I repeat, will not, win just with shooting. If you do, then the game probably wasn't really fun then.

So go with 2 units of 25 warriors with handweapons and shields, and one unit of 24 longbeards with hand weapons and shields. Give the longbeards some runes, your choice. The rune of Grimnir could work well, as the 5+ ward save against shooting will save them from doom divers and fanatics. A BSB would go well with the longbeards.

Special:

My favorite tactic would be this:

2 bolt throwers. 1 bolt thrower has the rune of immolation and fire, the other has the valiant rune and penetration. Put one on each flank of your warmachines.

This will go a long way to securing your warmachines. One will explode on command, wiping out units like wolf riders, and the other is unbreakable. Put a master engineer with the unbreakable one, and give him the rune of gromril. This will give you BS 5 for the Str 7 bolt thrower, and a 1+ armor save character who is unbreakable.

This leaves 3 special choices left. A grudge thrower would work wonders here, as he'll likely have many targets for you to hit. A cannon with another master engineer would also work well. Give that cannon the rune of fire, and maybe the valiant rune as well. Plop the engineer in it with the rune of stone and two runes of iron for the 3+ armor save, 5+ ward save.

This leaves 1 special and 2 rare. I'd personally take an organ gun and a flame cannon. Then get a normal dragon slayer (very useful, can either tie up units or protect your warmachines) and 6 miners.

All in all, you've got warmachines that can handle any situation and that are not easy targets. 3 blocks of combat resolution that probably won't be running anytime soon. Finally, with the slayer and miners, you've got some flexibility. See below for a sample list.

-----------------

Heroes:

Master Engineer: Two runes of iron, rune of stone, brace of pistols, great weapon (w/ cannon) [114pts]

Master Engineer: Rune of gromril, brace of pistols, great weapon (w/ str 7 bolt thrower) [104pts]

Thane: BSB w/ rune of guarding (w/ longbeards) [120pts]

Dragon Slayer [50pts]

Core:

25 warriors: HW+S [250pts]

25 warriors: HW+S [250pts]

24 Longbeards: HW+S, rune of grimnir [363pts]

Special:

6 miners [66pts]

Bolt Thrower: runes of immolation and fire, engineer w/ brace of pistols [100pts]

Bolt Thrower: valiant rune and rune of penetration [90pts]

Grudge Thrower: engineer w/ brace of pistols [105pts]

Cannon: valiant rune, engineer w/ brace of pistols [130pts]

Rare:

Organ Gun [120pts]

Flame Cannon [140pts]

[total: 2002 points]

TehBloodGod
20-11-2008, 00:41
Thanks, this is my list

288 - Dwarf Lord, Shieldbearers, Shield, Master Rune of Spite, Rune of Snorri Spangelhelm, Master Rune of Swiftness, Rune of Cleaving.
140 - 10 Thunderers.
140 - 10 Thunderers.
187 - 18 Dwarf Warriors, Shields, Full Command.
140 - Cannon, Engineer, Rune of Forging.
145 - Cannon, Engineer, Rune of Forging and Burning.
215 - 2 Bolt Throwers, 2 Engineers, Rune of Penetrating and Seeking, Rune of Penetrating and Skewering.
130 - Grudge Thrower, Rune of Accuracy and Penetrating.
120 - Organ Gun.
120 - Organ Gun.

Its very gun heavy and I've got some warriors defending my line.... maybe I could drop some warriors for Longbeards?

grumbaki
20-11-2008, 05:57
Not bad, but you really need to get the numbers up on your warriors. Even the one with your lord will lose a rank bonus after taking only 1 casualty. When playing dwarfs you win through static combat res, not through killing things. So I'd say get the numbers up to at least 22. Having longbeards is usually a good ideas well. More skilled, immune to panic (and give the warriors a boost), plus they can have runic banners (the 10pt one that gives stubborn on a 4+ is usually a good bet). You might want to drop some runes to get the points to do this. Otherwise, a very solid list.

TehBloodGod
20-11-2008, 20:45
Thanks.... I'll make the units 25 man strong and see how many points I need to lose.

TehBloodGod
20-11-2008, 21:01
118 - Thane, Shield, Rune of Fury, Cleaving, Stone.
140 - 10 Thunderers.
140 - 10 Thunderers.
250 - 25 Dwarf Warriors, Shields, Full Command.
140 - Cannon, Engineer, Rune of Forging.
145 - Cannon, Engineer, Rune of Forging and Burning.
175 - 2 Bolt Throwers, 2 Engineers, Rune of Penetrating, Rune of Penetrating and Burning.
130 - Grudge Thrower, Rune of Accuracy and Penetrating.
120 - Organ Gun.
140 - Gyrocopter.

I added a Gyrocopter for march blocking and S3 harassment, this will provide my army with more shooting =D. I bumped up my Warriors to 25 each, but I traded the Lord for a Thane.... as Dwarves dont win CC by inflicting wounds.... but merely static combat res. I thought it'd be better to attempt an outnumber and 3 ranks.... my combat res is 4-5 depending on who outnumbers. I think this is better then having my Lord whose just slightly better. I also weakened the Bolt Throwers... but they should be fine hitting on 4s.

grumbaki
20-11-2008, 22:40
Looks great! There is only one last thing that I would recommend:

Drop 1 warrior (9 points) and put the thane in that unit. Use the 9 points to buy braces of pistols for your engineers at the warmachines (especially the ones on the flanks of your shooting line). They can really ruin the day of warmachine hunters.

Best of luck, and please tell me how the list fared once it has seen action.

TehBloodGod
20-11-2008, 22:50
I had 11pts left over.... and the best thing I could think of was adding a 9pt Warrior... so I'll add Brace of Pistols! =D

Which machine(s) should guard my flank?