PDA

View Full Version : re-directing charges and the rules governing them

nightcrawler
18-03-2005, 19:31
This came up yesterday when a group of regular players were all around the table.

When you charge a unit and they choose to flee, what can you re-direct into?

For some reason we all remember some rule that said that you could not declare a re-direct charge against something that was a legal target before the first charge. We were unable to find this rule anywhere so can someone help out here?

thanks

jmurph
18-03-2005, 19:56
Straight from the FAQ (http://uk.games-workshop.com/chronicles/faq/1/): You can only redirect against a unit you could not originally charge but can now due to fleeing.

nightcrawler
18-03-2005, 22:04
cool thanks, I thought it was somewhere but it is definatly not in the rulebook.

mageith
20-03-2005, 16:06
Straight from the FAQ (http://uk.games-workshop.com/chronicles/faq/1/): You can only redirect against a unit you could not originally charge but can now due to fleeing.

Your paraphrase got me to thinking:

Here's the FAQ Q. Can a unit redirect a charge against an enemy unit that it could have originally charged?
A. No, you can only redirect a charge against a unit if you could not have declared against them normally, but can now do so due to the enemy fleeing. (Chronicles 4, 112)

Two charges are going on. The first charge target flees and ends up in between the 2nd charger and his target. (The first charge target was not a viable target originally.)

Based on the words of the FAQ, can the 2nd charger redirect into the fleeing unit since he can no longer charge his original target.

How do you play it?

jmurph
21-03-2005, 08:00
Well, since the normal rulebook continues to be in effect, unless contradicted by an update, or errata, they might help. The FAQ has sonme sloppy wording, but I believe it is meant to supplement the main rules. By my logic, the fleeing enemy must 1) be fleeing from the charger who wants to redirect and 2) reveal a new legal charge target. In your situation, I do not believe the redirect would apply. It's never come up in a game, though....

Asq_Dak
22-03-2005, 21:36
I do believe it would be best if the second charging unit would be forced into an accidental charge with the unit that fled into the way.

With normal redirecting, you are charging one way, a unit flees to reveal a new one and they charges go "well let's keep going to this new unit!" but cannot redirect again if this unit flees.

So why could you not do it in reverse is a new unit flees in front of the intended target? The intervening unit would have to make a flee roll again. If it doesn;t escape, it dies. If it does, the 2nd chargers would fail charge (They cannot redirect a second time!)

Major Defense
01-04-2005, 20:16
Your paraphrase got me to thinking:

Here's the FAQ Q. Can a unit redirect a charge against an enemy unit that it could have originally charged?
A. No, you can only redirect a charge against a unit if you could not have declared against them normally, but can now do so due to the enemy fleeing. (Chronicles 4, 112)

Two charges are going on. The first charge target flees and ends up in between the 2nd charger and his target. (The first charge target was not a viable target originally.)

Based on the words of the FAQ, can the 2nd charger redirect into the fleeing unit since he can no longer charge his original target.

How do you play it?

That's a real head-scratcher. I guess, according the higgledy-piggledy rules as I know them, the charging unit would wipe out the fleeing unit that is now blocking it's original charge and then stop within 1" of their intended target...??? That doesn't seem right. Gawd, I hope I never run into that situation.

Festus
02-04-2005, 13:38
Hi

The *logical* (bad word) solution is:

The second chargers would accidentally charge the flleing unit (which is compelled to flee again).
Then the chargers can decide to pursue the fleeing unit and destroy them or to finish their charge and attack their original target.

Greetings
Festus

EvC
09-04-2005, 00:08
Can I get you guys' opinions on a situation I had come up not too long ago?

I charged some Skaven contraption, he stood and fired, misfired and got the result where he runs away and blows up. I decided that counted as fleeing and so I should be able to charge through to the next unit... is that the correct decision?