PDA

View Full Version : Panic

narrativium
20-11-2008, 12:40
A character is in a unit, and therefore counts as a member of that unit, so if the unit is not in combat and the character dies (magic, miscasts, magic items, etc.), the character doesn't qualify as a unit for the purposes of causing Panic tests. I'm clear on that.

What if the situation is reversed? Every model in the unit except the character is killed by shooting or magic. The character remains, and has to take a Panic test due to 25% casualties. Does the unit count as destroyed for the purposes of units within 6" taking Panic tests?

theunwantedbeing
20-11-2008, 12:48
The character was part of the unit at the start of that particular phase, that unit is now just him.
The unit has lose over 25% of its number and so the character, being part of that unit must now take a panic test (unless he is immune to that by whatever means).

The unit doesnt count as destroyed though, as to be destroyed the character must have also have been destroyed. As the character was part of the unit at the start of that particular phase.

Condottiere
20-11-2008, 12:56
The unit no longer exists, but the character is still subject to a panic test because of its destruction within 6".

Gazak Blacktoof
20-11-2008, 13:23
The character was part of the unit at the start of that particular phase, that unit is now just him.
The unit has lose over 25% of its number and so the character, being part of that unit must now take a panic test (unless he is immune to that by whatever means).

The unit doesnt count as destroyed though, as to be destroyed the character must have also have been destroyed. As the character was part of the unit at the start of that particular phase.

Yep, that's exactly how I understand it to work.

Lordmonkey
20-11-2008, 13:43
What if the situation is reversed? Every model in the unit except the character is killed by shooting or magic. The character remains, and has to take a Panic test due to 25% casualties. Does the unit count as destroyed for the purposes of units within 6" taking Panic tests?

AFAIK (I could be wrong) you only take one panic test per phase. So if a unit is destroyed, you take the 25% panic anyway.

It's moot though. The character is part of the unit. If he/she is still there, the unit has not been destroyed.

Condottiere
20-11-2008, 15:21
And if two characters are orphaned by the destruction of the same unit, these two characters are now this unit?

Gazak Blacktoof
20-11-2008, 15:36
Yep, they are a single unit so take a panic test together. There has previously been some debate over what happens after that. Some people say that they remain together*, others, including myself, say they separate because they are no longer a legal unit.

Have a look at page 72 "character & units".

I would separate the two characters at the end of the phase in a similar manner to ejecting a tomb king from a chariot unit when his ride is destroyed.

*I believe this based on the wording that says a character can not "join" another character to form a unit. Under these circumstances some people have claimed that they remain together because the characters joined the unit they were both initially a part of and not each other.