20 NG archers, 2 fanatics
2 Chukkas

His list

10 Swordmasters
10 White lions w/ korhil? i think
10 Pheonix guard w/ other hero
10 archers

Terrian: One useless hill by my side, building and wood left-center

I deploy my chukkas and spiders way left in a vain attempt to scatter his troops around and shoot them to death while I kill the right, hoping to use the spiders for a flank charge through the woods. He deploys white lions... so much for shooting and using woods to my advantage :mad:

Everything else goes right- His other three units and all my stuff. Black orcs up against the edge, then archers, then the brick of speargobs. He deploys swordsmasters directly across from the blorcs, with archers screening and the PG almost dead center.

Turns 1&2- Maneuvering, a couple goblins die to archers, a couple archers die to shortbows and chukkas. I begin to appreciate the high elves M5 more and more as what looks like a bad spot for him on the right flank turns into a passable one.

Turn 3- Charges. Black orcs go up against SM, Spiders get charged by White lions. Goblin brick is stuck behind the line due to bad animosity. Spiders are wiped out without a chance to retaliate, causes a chukka to panic. black orcs win by 5 thanks to an amazing set of armor saves (5 of 7 on a 5+... With that roll I thought I had just won). SMs hold due to an equally amazing leadership roll- exactly 10. (With that roll I was fairly certain I was screwed.)

Turn 4- White lions charge and kill other chukka. Both goblin units charge the PG- or attempt to. NG archers attack as ordered but the big brick I was counting on to flank fails it's leadership and instead gets hit by two of it's own fanatics. Archers lose, badly, break, and cause the spearmen to panic, who promptly run through their own fanatics (at this point the spearmen have taken 14 wounds from my own fanatics and haven't even made it into combat.) Black orcs tie the SMs, but the ranks are thinning.

Turn 5- Both goblin units somehow rally. Black orcs are flank charged by phoenix guard, lose 7 guys and the combat by 8 or 9. At the end of CC I have two half dead goblin units with white lions to one flank, and angry phoenix guard and SMs to the front. We call it a solid victory for him- secretly what I was hoping for (he's had a vicious losing streak with HE, thanks a lot in part to us glossing over a LOT of rules that benefited him until recently (Panic, dead models not fighting back, fear etc.))

I know that having the spiders on their own and the army list composition were mistakes- Black orcs are not particularly cost effective, esp. in small games like this and I think I would have been much better served with 2 units of Boyz and maybe another small group of HW&S night goblins. The spiders needed a support unit to set up the WLs for a flank charge- I'm used to fighting slowass dwarves which i can pretty much run circles around with just about anything.

All in all though I was pleased- I think this is the first game where all the rules have been used correctly, and the match was a tossup until my blorcs broke.

What do you think?

Thanks

GuyLeCheval
20-11-2008, 19:40
SMs hold due to an equally amazing leadership roll- exactly 10. (With that roll I was fairly certain I was screwed.)

The swordmaster must have Ld 15 to lose with 5 and stay if they roll a 10.
Or the are Ld 10 and have stubborn. I don't think so.

Stuffburger
20-11-2008, 19:44
The swordmaster must have Ld 15 to lose with 5 and stay if they roll a 10.
Or the are Ld 10 and have stubborn. I don't think so.

Oh... Sorry that was unclear. They lost by 5, rolled a 5 and were by their ld 10 general

cicero
20-11-2008, 20:35
nice report, bad luck with not winning

Arguleon-veq
20-11-2008, 22:55
I find High Elves to be the toughest match up for my Orcs and Gobs. That strikes first really wrecks us and our Gobbos fear elves. Hard luck with the loss. I ended up modifying my list and throwing in an extra chariot [for 2 total].

I run my Blorcs in 2 ranks of 6 with full command and the banner of butchery. That banner is wasted on the gobbos. Give them the Stubborn Banner. The Spears are also pretty useless on them. The extra save from hand weapons and shields is better and you dont have to pay an extra points for it.

Id also split those Spiders into 2 units.