PDA

View Full Version : An Elf Wood Elf list. 2000 points or there abouts.

Kahadras
20-11-2008, 23:35
I've been painting my new Wood Elf army for a while now and I decided to take a look at how the list will advance to 2000 points (from the 500 it is at present. I've set myself the challenge of building a list that is totaly devoid of Forest Spirits which makes powerful combat units rather difficult to find. So I decided to focus on maneuverability above anything else in order to stay out of combat for as long as possible.

My first choice was whether I wanted a lord or not. After some thinking I decided that I needed a character who could offset the weaknesses of my list as much as possible. I'd therefore need a choice who was good in combat. After much thought I decided to go all out and opted for a Highborn on a Forest Dragon. While this unit cost me over a quarter of my total points he was fast and could enter combat with a reasonable chance of winning.

The rest of my character choices were then left as I decided to focus on my core choices. Here I again decided to commit a lot of resources. Three units of Glade Guard would give me a decent amount of ranged firepower while three units of Glade Riders would give the list a lot of maneuverability. Having spent well over 1000 points by this stage I decided to move on and look at my special choices.

I felt that I was really in need of at least one combat unit at this point so I opted for a fair sized unit of Wardancers. While not very tough they could generate a lot of attacks and could deal with anything that got through my hail of bowfire. I decided against taking any Warhawk riders. I'm not too keen on the models and I'd already taken lots of light cavalry already. At this point I went back and concidered what other characters I wanted.

My major concern at this point was magic defence so I went for a basic mage with a single dispel scroll. While I didn't feel that this was really enough I decided to come back later and add in more once I had the rest of my army sorted. My next choice was a Noble. Originaly I planned to have him as the caddy for the Hail of Doom arrow but I decided to go down a more interesting route and put him with the Wardancers instead to give them a bit more punch.

Moving onto the rare choices I went for a Giant Eagle to hunt down enemy warmachines and generaly make itself a nusance for my opponant. I decided to take a small unit of Waywatchers as well to increase my firepower and give my opponant another unit to worry about. This left me with over 100 points still to spend. I decided to go back to my character slots and spend the last points on more magic defence. Another Mage with a scroll gave me another DD and another hard counter which rounded off the list fairly well. I was left with a few points spare but I didn't see any need to spend them so left it at that...

The list.

Highborn + Forest Dragon, light armour, Enchanted Shield, Stone of the Crystal Mere and Sword of Might = 528p

Noble + Wardancer kindred and Blades of Loec = 140p

Spellsinger + Dispel Scroll = 115p

10 Glade Guard = 120p

10 Glade Guard = 120p

10 Glade Guard = 120p

5 Glade Riders + musician = 129p

8 Wardancers + musician = 151p

Giant Eagle = 50p

6 Waywatchers = 144p

= 1990p

Kahadras

RavenBloodwind
21-11-2008, 01:06
Overall I like the list well enough.

If you look at p53 of the wood elf book there's that annoying little bit of text that states that a forest dragon takes up an extra hero slot. You'll have to forgo one of your other character selections to take the dragon lord.

Other than that, I'd look at a spear in place of the sword of might. With the points you save you can put a champ in your wardancer unit. Then again, the points you save from getting rid of your excess character will buy you another complete unit. Let me recommend a second unit of wardancers. You won't be disappointed.

Kahadras
21-11-2008, 01:40
If you look at p53 of the wood elf book there's that annoying little bit of text that states that a forest dragon takes up an extra hero slot. You'll have to forgo one of your other character selections to take the dragon lord.

Doh! That'll teach me to try such a haphazzard approach to building a list. I'll have noted that I needed the extra slot for the Dragon and then forgotten by the time I got round to filling in the last character slot. I'll shift out one of the Mages which should give me 125 points to play with. That's a unit of six Wardancers with a musician. I'll shift one Wardancer across from the other squad to give me two units of seven. That leaves me with...

Highborn + Forest Dragon, light armour, Enchanted Shield, Stone of the Crystal Mere and Sword of Might = 528p

Noble + Wardancer kindred and Blades of Loec = 140p

10 Glade Guard = 120p

10 Glade Guard = 120p

10 Glade Guard = 120p

7 Wardancers + musician = 133p

7 Wardancers + musician = 133p

Giant Eagle = 50p

6 Waywatchers = 144p

= 1990p

Other than that, I'd look at a spear in place of the sword of might. With the points you save you can put a champ in your wardancer unit.

I'd prefer to hold onto the sword TBH. OK it costs more than the Spear but if I get bogged down in combat then I'll appreciate the extra strength it gives me beyond the first round. On top of this it makes my Highborns attacks magical which helps in certain situations. I definatly think it's worth the extra 17 points at the end of the day.

Kahadras

PARTYCHICORITA
21-11-2008, 01:44
I like the list a lot but i would give a second scroll to the mage since the protection is much needed. Also i would go Helm of the hunt+shield instead of the enchanted one.

Overall a nice list, good luck.

the gribbly
21-11-2008, 03:33
Well done. A very nice list overall. Beyond the second scroll any changes would be purely for preference. That said, the HoDA would go well on the forest lord. points for both scroll and HoDA could be found by dropping 1 wardancer from the nobles unit, a musician from the other, and a single waywatcher.
Either way cool list, similar to my own and far more viable than all elf lists get credit for.

guardinator
21-11-2008, 14:35
As long as your not going up against a magic heavy army, you should be fine, otherwise... it won't be pretty

Kahadras
21-11-2008, 16:16
As long as your not going up against a magic heavy army, you should be fine, otherwise... it won't be pretty

If I'm going up against a very magic heavy army I'd probably drop the Noble and replace him with another Mage. At the end of the day though I'll probably be relying on the randomness of magic more than anything. I can't compete all over the place unfortunatly. If I wanted to supress a magic heavy army I would have to look at using a Spellweaver.

Kahadras

the gribbly
21-11-2008, 17:50
Kahadras wrote:

At the end of the day though I'll probably be relying on the randomness of magic more than anything.
Thats exactly the point im trying to prove right now by using a all elf list sans magic. Magic is just another form of the shooting phase for the most part with shorter range and more consequences. Yes scrolls may be necessary when you bring a large costly model but without that big 500+ points target for game winning spells Ive found magic can be mitigated by distance, terrain, mage hunting, and protection in combat. Time will tell but so far I have achieved a massacre vs. O&G's packing a lvl 4 , 2 lvl2's, 2 bound items and approximately 10 shrooms. Up next is magic heavy dark elves list with twin hydras.
I am interested in hearing your results with this list kahadras. Keep us posted.