PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts HE w/ dragon

invinciblebug
21-11-2008, 18:12
LORDS AND HEROES

Prince, star dragon, star lance, temakadors gauntlets, dragon armour, shield 602-pts

Mage, 2*dispel scroll -140pts

CORE

20 spearmen, FC -185pts (5*4)

10 archers -110pts (1*10)

SPECIAL

15 white lions, FC -255pts (5*3)

14 phoenix guard, FC -240pts (5*3) ~Mage

7 swords masters, -105pts (7*1)

5 dragon princes -150pts

RARE

Repeater bolt thrower -100pts

Repeater bolt thrower -100pts

TOTAL: 1994pts
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

This list relies upon the hammer and anvil tactic. The bolt throwers and archers team up and create a zone in which few units will dare go, and if they do, well that's their loss. I've divided my force into cohorts which work in consort:

Spearmen+Dragon lord
The spearmen takes charges (they should hold due to ranks+BSB+possible kills with 16 attacks) and are then bolstered by a charge from the dragon. Alternatively the dragon can charge forward to kill generals in armies where their important (read vampire counts).

White lions+Dragon princes
Same principle here, the white lions take a charge, staying in the fight due to stubborn (unless they meet fear causing foes, I just cant find the points for the lion standard) and are then bolstered by the dragon princes.

Bolt thrower+Bolt thrower+Archers
These units create a killing ground on one part of the battlefield, forcing enemy units to move around them or suffer heavy casualties.

Phoenix guard+Mage
These units are not really a cohort as such, they more bolster the line where needed and provide a bodyguard for the mage.

Swords masters
These work on their own, taking on the toughest enemies with their 15 str 5 ASF attacks.

What do you think of it?

I especially want to know what equipment is good for the dragon lord, cause I don't want to assemble it with the wrong pieces.

Thanks in advance!

Vam2tic
21-11-2008, 19:00
For the Dragon lord try Armour of Caledor and Vambraces of defence for a 2+ re-rollable armour save and a 4+ ward save. List is nice and i would love to face it but be wary of your swordmasters. They will die to shooting if you don't be careful

Vam2tic

WhiteKnight
22-11-2008, 17:03
That armor of caledor isn't great on mounted characters really. You have a 3+ rerollable and a 4+ ward with just vambraces. If you want a 2+, just add an enchanted shield. Then with the 30 points left, give him either sacred incense or amulet of light.

Leonyn
22-11-2008, 17:38
why not drop the armor of caledor , give him just the normal dragon armor and an enchanted shield , that way he gets a 2+ while he is mounted.

SilentStalker
22-11-2008, 17:45
That armor of caledor isn't great on mounted characters really. You have a 3+ rerollable and a 4+ ward with just vambraces. If you want a 2+, just add an enchanted shield.

This is actual wrong. Dragon Armor + Shield gives you a 4+ save. You do not get the +1 for being mounted on a monstrous mount. With enchanted shield you get a 3+.

As for the list, you are over by around 110 points
The mage is actually 140: we have cheaper scrolls
The spears are 205 points with FC, not 185
The lord is around 560, not 463

To free up the points, I would drop the SM to 7 or 8, and lose the command for them. They will still hit hard, and won't give up a banner.

invinciblebug
23-11-2008, 06:47
This is actual wrong. Dragon Armor + Shield gives you a 4+ save. You do not get the +1 for being mounted on a monstrous mount. With enchanted shield you get a 3+.

As for the list, you are over by around 110 points
The mage is actually 140: we have cheaper scrolls
The spears are 205 points with FC, not 185
The lord is around 560, not 463

To free up the points, I would drop the SM to 7 or 8, and lose the command for them. They will still hit hard, and won't give up a banner.

Oops big mistake. I've done some changes, for instance changed the equipment of my dragon lord. Is the star lance good for the points? The equipment on my lord now gives him 3+ save against str 3 and 4+/5+ against str 4, is this enough, or is the points better to spent on defensive items than the magic lance?

I also wonder, would this list do good with some chariots? If I dropped the white lions I could have a tiranoc chariot a lion chariot and still have 30 points left.

SilentStalker
25-11-2008, 13:50
That probably would be a good idea for the chariots. More hard hitters that are fast present more targets for enemy shooting, making your opponent assess target priority. I have always found that protecting the lord on top is more essential then hitting hard with him. The has 6 str 7 at WS 7, and the lord with a regular lance has 4 str 6 WS 7. I usually find this sufficient, and spend the points for the 2+ reroll 4+ ward

WhiteKnight
25-11-2008, 17:41
I've always taken this into consideration. What about a Great Weapon on a dragon? If you get charged, you're not having the Str 6 attacks but Str 5 if you have a great weapon. We have always strikes first so why not?