PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves vs WoC

Crymson
22-11-2008, 02:08
Hey there.

I have a game in a few weeks against a regular opponnent who will be fielding WoC for the first time. Generally speaking, it will be Warriors/Knights more than Marauders. I will be playing Wood Elves.

Any tips for me?

Jericho
22-11-2008, 05:29
The usual for Wood Elves. Avoid fair fights like the plague. You can hopefully weather the storm of his magic (hopefully he's not taking too much, because Chaos magic is pretty damn good) and whittle down his units to manageable sizes before getting into combat. Remember that even small units of Chaos warriors/knights/Chosen/etc. can still dish out a ton of attacks. Static combat res is usually a solid way to beat Chaos, and WE suck at generating static CR.

Watch out for Spawns, Flyers, and Hellcannons if you're trying to run circles around his units. Any of them will have a good charge distance and/or 360 charge arcs and will ruin your day. The current internet debate says that, as a monster&handler unit, you get a 12" charge out of the Hellcannon! This will be very bad for any WE unit getting charged!

So yeah. I'd recommend taking a bit more magic defense than usual, maybe focusing on Wild Riders and Wardancers because they are such a lovely combination of maneuverability, magic resistance, and close combat prowess, and not banking on getting any difficult spells off ever. Honestly I wouldn't bother with anything but Calaingor's Stave, to try and cast Treesinging a bunch. With the Pandamoneum/Puppet combination, you can't afford to use 2-3 dice and get screwed by miscasts. Luckily Chaos doesn't have too, too many DD and usually very few scrolls.

Once again: fair fights are to be avoided like the plague. Don't attack anything head-on if you can help it. Also you can probably save a lot of headaches by not bothering with any Treemen/Treekin. They will be destroyed way too fast if he takes any Tzeentch magic.

If you can protect them from magic, 2-3 Alter nobles might not be a bad thing. An Alter Highborn can use the Bow of Loren/Arcane Bodkins combo to whittle down units very quickly, and the combat prowess of Alter Nobles is pretty much universally well known by now. They are damn fast and hit like a ton of bricks with great weapons. Definitely a glass cannon though, they shouldn't be charging anything by themselves. Certainly not charging anything head-on!

ForestSpirit121
23-11-2008, 01:18
First thing first. Never throw one unit of wood elves into combat unless you want to lose. This goes for playing against any army. Wood elves need multiple charges to survive. Next, I think you should work out a balanced list that can compete against every army not just one.
Movement is key. If you mess up on moving you are dead. Pick your charges. Only fight if you can win. Dryads (Un St 8) are great throw away units (96) pts and can do very well against lightly armed troops. Treemen are great as baits (stubborn 8) and can pin units for a decisive wardancer or treekin charge. Against WoC u need to split up his forces. Be prepared to sacrifice units for the greater victory. Don't let your wardancers get charged. As for lord choice, go with a spellweaver for magic defense. Lvl 4, 2 scrolls calingor stave. Move the trees around and mess with his movement. Take a branchwraith lvl 1 with cluster of rad and an alter noble, w/ helm of hunt and hail o doom, Gw, La, Sh. Fantastic combo. U could take a second alter or some other noble. u'll have 6 dispel. Good luck!

RavenBloodwind
23-11-2008, 03:04
Having had a few games against the new WoC with wood elves I have some thoughts.

The BoL/Bodkins combinations is very handy (even though you need 5+ to wound) at taking down chaos knights.

Glade Guard shooting is still very effective, just shoot at the softer stuff and leave the knights and warriors to be picked on by others.

Waywatchers ability to deploy forward for march-block is still as great as ever and the threat of ranged killing blow (not that you ever actually get the 6s) is enough to keep your opponent distracted.

Wardancers using killing blow (especially if you can get call of the hunt off on them) is amazing at taking out chaos warriors or chaos knights. My regular opponent lost a 5-man unit of chaos knights to a wardancer charge and the look on his face was priceless.

As others have said, get some magic defense. If you're going for BoL/bodkins on someone that means you're using Lvl2 casters at best. I tend to go with one caddie and the branchwraith with cluster. If you're super-paranoid about magic defense then the wand of wych elm, a caddie and branchwraith with cluster is your ticket, but you give up some nice armor-negating shooting.

RavenBloodwind
23-11-2008, 03:05
Having had a few games against the new WoC with wood elves I have some thoughts.

The BoL/Bodkins combinations is very handy (even though you need 5+ to wound) at taking down chaos knights.

Glade Guard shooting is still very effective, just shoot at the softer stuff and leave the knights and warriors to be picked on by others.

Waywatchers ability to deploy forward for march-block is still as great as ever and the threat of ranged killing blow (not that you ever actually get the 6s) is enough to keep your opponent distracted.

Wardancers using killing blow (especially if you can get call of the hunt off on them) is amazing at taking out chaos warriors or chaos knights. My regular opponent lost a 5-man unit of chaos knights to a wardancer charge and the look on his face was priceless.

As others have said, get some magic defense. If you're going for BoL/bodkins on someone that means you're using Lvl2 casters at best. I tend to go with one caddie and the branchwraith with cluster. If you're super-paranoid about magic defense then the wand of wych elm, a caddie and branchwraith with cluster is your ticket, but you give up some nice armor-negating shooting.

Jericho
23-11-2008, 06:36
Double post alert ;)

Some pretty good advice so far. I still think the anchor-ability of a Treeman is a waste against Chaos.

1) Most units have a good chance of actually killing the damn thing in combat anyway (tons of attacks, and with flails/halberds/GW's they have stupid high strength even on core troops).
2) You really need a BSB to guarantee he'll hold up the enemy advance for any period of time anyway.
3) Flaming magical attacks. Bad. Very bad. If they don't kill you at range, you'll be so low on Wounds that the infantry will.

It's an awful lot of points to invest in a Treeman (or two) and the BSB, so I can't advise it when Chaos has such a good chance of killing it at range or in combat.

Wardancers with KB are definitely a good way to cause some havoc against the WOC list, no doubt about that. Consider the amber pendant on a Wardancer Noble, he's a really fantastic for screwing up fast opponents (like chaos with their ridiculous I values on characters) and/or guys with ASF. I don't care if you have ASF and I10, you strike last if you're in base contact with the Amber Pendant! Helm of Many eyes/Sigvald are really dangerous and you can pretty much completely neuter them with the Pendant.

When it comes to shooting, you can do semi-significant damage to a chaos army with your Glade Guard. Obviously at long range you want to be picking on T3 stuff like Hounds, Marauders and Marauder Horsemen. Up close, you can take a good chunk out of the Warriors/Chosen, especially if they don't take shields. 1-2 volleys under half range will do a lot of damage.

But not against Knights. Those bastards can shrug off even S4 missile fire like nobody's business. They are going to be one of the hardest things to deal with. If the you're lucky enough to face frenzied knights, then hopefully you can toy around with them using Great Eagles for a turn or two. Get them chasing you through difficult terrain for a turn or two and you can spend a lot of time dealing with the rest of his army before the Knights get back into the mix. Sacrificing some Dryads or Glade Guard to get a flank charge on the Knights with Wardancers is a reasonably safe bet as well. 4 models worth of KB should be more than enough to deal with the one guy you're in contact with.