PDA

View Full Version : Deceiver Question

Horus38
23-11-2008, 02:36
Was scrolling through another thread and setekhite mentioned:

"Since the C'tan have been dormant for hundreds of millions of years, a 25,000 year gap between the Dragon awakening and the Deceiver's awakening on Naogeddon is quite trivial."

I've seen Naogeddon bandied about on the maps and someone else had talked about it's position changing again. So I'm wondering what the details are regarding this place/event and their source. Thanks.

Lord Damocles
23-11-2008, 09:43
Most of what we know about the tomb-whatsits on Naogeddon comes from 'Deus Ex Mechanicus' (a short story in 'Let the Galaxy Burn').

Basic jist of it is that an Ad Mech survey team is exploring Necrontyr ruins on the dead world of Naogeddon. Tech-adept Lakius (sp?) arrives on a secret mission, supposedly to aid the team with his knowledge of stasis pods, but he has an Eversor Assassin with him which he's to 'use' if he deems the situation to be out of hand.
There's some Skitarii vs. Necron action, then the team breach one of the Necron structures using a phase-field generator. They explore the tomb structure, encountering a Faeran Field, Scarab swarm, Maze etc. along the way. The lead adept takes a Staff of Light from the centre of the tomb, and then they leave.
Once they get out, it's revealed that the lead adept is really the Deciever in disguise. There's a bit of a fight in which the Deciever proves how awesome he is, then Lakius' ship explodes in a giant ball of plasma.
End.

The inside back cover of Codex: Necrons has a little information on Naogeddon.

Horus38
24-11-2008, 01:31
Thanks for the info. I never noticed that the 4 places listed on the Necron codex back cover are indeed the 4 resting places of the C'Tann.

BigEaZyE
24-11-2008, 03:49
Is that really the story? That's totally part of the plot line in Diablo 2.... way to go GW, way to go.

Sekhmet
24-11-2008, 06:53
Is that really the story? That's totally part of the plot line in Diablo 2.... way to go GW, way to go.

everyone copies everyone else. Besides, there are only so many stories that can be told before you start to see plots recurring.

blizzard's warcraft universe is heavily based on wh fantasy, for example.

Horus38
24-11-2008, 23:56

For someone whose played quite a bit of Diablo II that's quite a stretch of the imagination to say they're the same story. Which part are you referring to because I can't think of anything that makes closely to that.

BigEaZyE
10-02-2010, 00:44
For someone whose played quite a bit of Diablo II that's quite a stretch of the imagination to say they're the same story. Which part are you referring to because I can't think of anything that makes closely to that.

I don't suppose you watched many of the cutscenes then... The Dark Wanderer who is helped to Tal Rasha's tomb and once he has what he wants (using a staff) it's revealed he's really... Baal or Mephisto? can't remember which.

Iuris
10-02-2010, 06:37
And I don't suppose YOU read the short story :)

Really, if you reduce a story to such an abstract level, you'll certainly find similarities all over. However, the story is all about the people involved. The incomprehensible enemy attacking fom without, and the reckless magos driving the expedition to enter the tomb. Insight into AdMech was nice, as was the fact that the traitor was recognized before the reveal. Of course, much help it was given the revealed one was a bloody C'tan (well, most likely).

Also, that the vessel that arrives is actually an Eversor assassin carrier, derouted here, was a nice touch. Pity the little junkie was never woken.

P.S. Try to remember what you played, would you? Dark wanderer enters the tomb on his own, no trouble. YOU are following and need the staff to enter, not Diablo, and no traitors are revealed - the Dark wanderer was alread known as one posessed, and Marius just gets tricked into freeing Baal.

Lord Damocles
10-02-2010, 09:58
Holy threadomancy Batman :eek:

You can read Deus Ex Mechanicus here (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/tombworld4/pages/dem.html) if interested.