PDA

View Full Version : Discouraging Special character spam

Mozzamanx
25-11-2008, 17:34
Ello,

as we know, Special characters are becoming ever more prevalent. Whether its the Kairos/Skulltaker/Scribes combo, or the Space Marine Super Best Friend Team (SMSBFT), they always manage to wiggle their way into even the smallest of games.

Unfortunately, in many cases (Many, not all) these characters live up to their reputation and are a tad unbalanced compared to other options. Rather than just limiting them full stop, I thought we could further reflect their heroic reputation with a rule in the Big Book.

Legendary figure- Such are the myths surrounding this character, that his troops will often come to expect far more of him than they can ever live up to. If he should fail, or Gods forbid fall, then their confidence will shatter.
If a Special character loses a Wound which is not saved/regenerated, the opponent will immediately gain half his cost in Victory Points. If he is killed, he will still gain his full cost as well (For a total of 150% Victory Points). In games using Kill Points, you gain 1 simply for wounding him, and killing them will give 2.

For example, if my opponent fields Belial (130pts), then I will get 65pts the first time I wound him as well as a killpoint. Killing him will still give 130pts, for a total of 195pts, and a second Killpoint.

Whatcha reckon? A little too harsh?

MadDoc
26-11-2008, 00:38
For example, if my opponent fields Belial (130pts), then I will get 65pts the first time I wound him as well as a killpoint. Killing him will still give 130pts, for a total of 195pts, and a second Killpoint.

Belial, really? :eyebrows:

Seriously, if your going to pick an example to illustrate your suggestion for countering unbalanced SC how about you don't pick one of the most balanced (and quite frankly, most pants) SC around... I even play DA, and on occasion use Belial and I still think he's one of the worst SC (ruleswise).

As far as your suggestion goes, perhaps alittle too harsh. Why penalise relatively crappy characters like Belial. Mary Sue.... uh, I mean Marneus Augustus Calgar on the other hand... :angel:

IJW
26-11-2008, 09:58
Whatcha reckon? A little too harsh?
Too harsh, and utterly irrelevant in objective games where VPs are there purely as a moral tie-breaker. ;)

P.S. A simpler alternative would be to cap the points that can be spent on HQ choices.

Hellebore
26-11-2008, 10:10
How about making scs worth 2 kill points or double their value in victory points rather than using half measures?

it only disadvantages the player if they die but it adds an element of risk to having them. So no points at all unless they are killed.

Spamming them would then get expensive.

It would apply to any model with the unique unit type.

Hellebore

Mozzamanx
26-11-2008, 13:43
@Mad Doc. Nothing wrong with Belial, he's just the only character that I can remember the points cost for.

Keep the advice coming.