PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Sorcerers and Enchanted Shields;

Arguleon-veq
26-11-2008, 15:28
Ok, having a bit of a problem with this.

The Chaos Sorcerer has armour, and so he is allowed magical armour.

The rulebook states that you can have magical armour if you have armour. It then goes on to say that you cant have a magical Shield if you cant have a Shield.

A Sorcerer cant have a shield.

Enchanted Shields though, are not specified as Shields like other Shields are. Only as 'Armour' in their description. Where as other Shields such as the Runeshield etc are specified as Shields.

So this means that a Chaos Sorcerer can have an Enchanted Shield?. The name 'Enchanted Shield' just being a name like the 'Sword' of might can in fact be an axe etc?.

Nerhesi
26-11-2008, 15:39
Specifically says they can have enchanted shields in the Chaos sorceror section.

Says something about unlike their wizard colleagues or something, they can use armor and MAGICAL SHIELDS

Sam W.

EvC
26-11-2008, 15:40
Yes, he can. It's not worded properly, but the army book designer has said you can take it (Might be wrong on that one), so have GW staff in their tactics article, and even RAW stalwarts have grumpily admitted that it may be a possibly. So give him any magic shield you like, and if anyone complains, then pity them :)

Nurgling Chieftain
26-11-2008, 16:27
For the record, if someone tried to claim the enchanted shield was not a shield I think I'd have to hit them with the BRB. :p

Arguleon-veq
26-11-2008, 16:48
I cant see anywhere in the book that says that Nerhesi?

I think by RAW it is legal. I was just wondering if that was intentional or not. How people would see it. I don't see why anybody would really complain. It isn't exactly game breaking.

The Enchanted Shield is not a Shield Nurgling Chieften. In the Chaos Army Book it states what is a Shield and what is not. The Enchanted 'Shield' is not.

Shamfrit
26-11-2008, 16:55
But look in the BRB in the Common Magic items section, it is defined as a shield.

Which doesn't matter, because there's a clause in the rules section of the magic chapter in the Army book saying they can take Magic Shields.

jrodrag
26-11-2008, 16:57
The enchanted shield does indeed include the rule shield. The rule for this is in the BRB. It says armor in the Chaos rulebook because it belongs in the magic armor section of the magic items which disallows you from having another piece of magic armor kit. The enchanted shield IS however a shield which is what lets you use it as part of a hand weapon shield bonus save.

As for chaos sorcerors and shields, according to the rules chaos sorcerors do not have access to shields in thier unit entry. This would normally disallow them from taking them completely. However, there is a very ambiguous line in the description text about chaos sorcerors that people are reading into to allow the chaos sorceror to take a shield.

IMO, this line refers to a generality about some chaos sorcerors and is not giving the chaos sorceror or sorceror lord the option specifically. You'll all have to decide this for yourselfs and your group, but at our establishment it's no shields for the chaos sorceror or sorceror lord.

Shamfrit
26-11-2008, 17:01
It is NOT description text, it is rules text.

Nerhesi
26-11-2008, 17:28
Specific rules can contradict general rules and often do so. The practice, in every game that I have ever seen, model or otherwise, is that specific rules take precedence. Otherwise, we'd have a TON of invalid rules from every army book (marching through woods without penalty for some units, moving and shooting without penalty, lance formation, etc)

As there is a SPECIFIC rule stating that chaos sorcerers can wear armor, magic armor and magic shields, it is hence allowed. By RAW.

Arguleon-veq
26-11-2008, 17:44
Ahhh, I see it now. Don't know how I missed that. Page 106. That is very clear. It is in the rules section too, as it is in the part that tells you which spells they can choose.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Nurgling Chieftain
26-11-2008, 17:50
For the record, if someone tried to claim the enchanted shield was not a shield I think I'd have to hit them with the BRB. :p
The Enchanted Shield is not a Shield Nurgling Chieften.WHACK! :evilgrin:

In the Chaos Army Book it states what is a Shield and what is not. The Enchanted 'Shield' is not.Funny, MY Warriors of Chaos book says it is a shield - you can find that right next to "Enchanted". :cool: Heheh, anyway, that's really just in addition to the fact that the Enchanted Shields' actual rules are in the BRB, the text in WoC (and other codicies) is just a summary.

Goruax
27-11-2008, 01:12
By pure RAW, the Chaos Enchanted Shield isn't a 'Shield', but NC's solution is quick, clean and to the now very bloody book corner ;)

Edit:
It really is a shield though...

Wadders
27-11-2008, 01:23
it is a shield,

you get the mundane hand weapon and shield bonus from this item.... check your FAQ's

Arguleon-veq
29-11-2008, 09:20
It doesn't really matter now anyway as it says in the Chaos book that they are allowed them. Didn't know you got the hand weapon and shield bonus when you used an Enchanted Shield though.