PDA

View Full Version : Unboxing The Realm of Battle Gameboard [Pic Heavy]

Killgore
01-12-2008, 12:41
<----Post deleted as a server time error moved it to a spot before the posts it replied to and the original poster. However if I delete the post the thread will vanish, so this is a placeholder, please start your forum reading after this post.---->

oni
01-12-2008, 14:33
Hi all,

I got my RoBG and thought I'd share my thoughts and some photos...

My first impression is "damn, this thing really is 30lbs.!"

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/oninopoo/002.jpg

Opening the carrying case...

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/oninopoo/003-1.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/oninopoo/004.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/oninopoo/005.jpg

The 2'x2' panels are really sturdy and seem like they could take a lot of punishment.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/oninopoo/006.jpg

There's tons of detail all over the tiles, mostly skulls and bones...

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/oninopoo/008.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/oninopoo/014.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/oninopoo/019.jpg

Here's a quick set up in a 6'x4' configuration (nothing new) and a 4'x4' configuration...

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/oninopoo/009.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/oninopoo/010.jpg

Size comparison...

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/oninopoo/018.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/oninopoo/017.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/oninopoo/021-1.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/oninopoo/015.jpg

And a models eye view... (You can see my latest project in the background - Genesis Chapter Dreadnought.)

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/oninopoo/016.jpg

The bad news is the $200+ in scenery (Imperial Sector, urban barricades, moonscape, painting pack, and black spray primer) I ordered with this was stolen from right at my front door. Yup, that's right, my neighbor confirmed and gave a Police statement, seeing 2 boxes on Friday, but only 1 on Saturday. I was out of town visiting family btw and this is what I came home to. I'm assuming the RoBG was too big an heavy to easily be stolen, but someone made off with the lighter, smaller box that had all of the scenery. :cries:

Max Jet
01-12-2008, 14:44
The bad news is the $200+ in scenery (Imperial Sector, urban barricades, moonscape, painting pack, and black spray primer) I ordered with this was stolen from right at my front door. Yup, that's right, my neighbor confirmed and gave a Police statement, seeing 2 boxes on Friday, but only 1 on Saturday. I was out of town visiting family btw and this is what I came home to. I'm assuming the RoBG was too big an heavy to easily be stolen, but someone made off with the lighter, smaller box that had all of the scenery

Happened to a buddy of mine, when he ordered a Notebook. By Law, either GW or the Post service HAS to pay you or send a replacement. If they are to stupid to leave a card and a note where to pick your boxes up from a save place, it is not your fault. They cannot expect you to be home 24 hours a day... seven days a week. There is a LAW for that.

PS: The Gaming Board looks extremely ugly in my own humble opinion. Too much skulls, too flat. too silly looking cliffs stupid liquid looking texture and the prize is .... well.... has been discussed to death.

Azzy
01-12-2008, 14:51
Hi all,

I got my RoBG and thought I'd share my thoughts and some photos...

Thanks for sharing. As much as I'd love to get it, it's just too pricey for me. Still, it looks like a nice product.

The bad news is the $200+ in scenery (Imperial Sector, urban barricades, moonscape, painting pack, and black spray primer) I ordered with this was stolen from right at my front door. Yup, that's right, my neighbor confirmed and gave a Police statement, seeing 2 boxes on Friday, but only 1 on Saturday. I was out of town visiting family btw and this is what I came home to. I'm assuming the RoBG was too big an heavy to easily be stolen, but someone made off with the lighter, smaller box that had all of the scenery. :cries:

I really hope that they catch whoever stole it (however unlikely that may be). That's a lot of money to be out. If sent USPS, screwing with the post is a federal offense.

EDIT: Love the slippers, BTW. ;)

Donnie Darko
01-12-2008, 14:59
If you puttied in the stupid skull pits, it seems to have a lot of potential.

Iverald
01-12-2008, 15:23
One is already unpacked at my indie store. Loooks ok, 'cept for the skull pits.

Yess... we've got some nice fissures but um... how to add some character to them? Eureka! We fil them with skulls!!! Yay!!!

I think that the sculptors seem to develop some sort of cranial fetish :p

Templar Ben
01-12-2008, 15:23
I won't comment on the price as we have a different thread on that. I am sorry that you had so much stolen but perhaps GW can use the weight as a selling point.

"And at 30 pounds it is simply too heavy to be stolen."

Thanks for the photos.

If anyone has painted one up it would be great to see. If you have transported it a few times in that bag since painting it that would be better.

oni
01-12-2008, 15:27
A few more notes:

Rolling Dice - Thankfully the surface of the RoBG is firm and is very pleasant to roll dice on. No bouncing!

Pack Up - Getting all of the tiles back into the case is super easy. I didn't have to struggle or try to solve some puzzle to make it fit.

The Case - Very thick and sturdy. I don't feel like the tiles are going to rip it if one catches on the material.

~As for the skull pits... I was beside myself when all I saw were pictures, so I don't blame anyone for disliking them, but once you see the board in person, they're not so bad. Besides, they can be covered up with a crater or some other piece of scenery.

laucian_meliamne
01-12-2008, 16:10
I was checking out the samples of these tables at my local GW on Thursday and was actually very let-down by the quality of the details. GW's modular hill (the plastic one that was originally part of the Battle of Five Armies box, and later sold separately) has very nice, crisp surface details. The "sand" on it is actually slightly rough to the touch, which prevents models from sliding around.

The details on this product are very rounded. There are very few nice, crisp edges to anything. The dirt lacks a certain fine definition to my eyes (and fingers). And those skull pits are just abysmally bad. I mean, honestly, what designer looked at those and said "Yes! That's exactly what we want it to look like!"

All in all, I would not buy this table at full-price. Even at a 50% staff discount this is really pushing it. For a fraction of the cost you can buy some MDF, some hardware connectors, glue, sand, and foam and build something much nicer-looking, that's still just as modular. Hopefully if/when GW comes out with alternate sections those ones will look better than the original 6.

Shipmonkey
01-12-2008, 16:52
I've been impressed with mine, aside from the packing mistake. I ended up with two of the hills sections with the road. Shipping one of them back to the UK for replacement doesn't sound like much fun so I think I'm just going to live with it.

Sidstyler
01-12-2008, 16:58
There's tons of detail all over the tiles, mostly skulls and bones...

Well of course, it has to be grim and dark! :rolleyes:

I think that the sculptors seem to develop some sort of cranial fetish

Yeah, they sure do love head.

Oh I'm bad. :D

Anyway, thanks for the review. I'm really sorry to hear about that scenery box though, I'd be fuming. You might try and give GW a call if you haven't already and tell them what happened, if they have a heart at all you might get lucky and get replacements.

Wolf Scout Ewan
01-12-2008, 17:05
Man thats nice.

Shame about the skulls. Bit ott imho.

Edit: What I would do if I could afford one would be to cut or sand the skulls from the pits and make them into pools filled wih resin water.

Bregalad
01-12-2008, 17:20
The bag reminds me of something:

How would 6 heavy plastic boards react to each other if painted or even flocked? I guess there are no foam sheets between them preventing the rubbing off of paint and flock.

So basically, these are untransportable, right? This makes Zuzzy mats look even better (not to speak of details, versatility, grip ... and price)

HsojVvad
01-12-2008, 17:22
I was checking out the samples of these tables at my local GW on Thursday and was actually very let-down by the quality of the details. GW's modular hill (the plastic one that was originally part of the Battle of Five Armies box, and later sold separately) has very nice, crisp surface details. The "sand" on it is actually slightly rough to the touch, which prevents models from sliding around.

The details on this product are very rounded. There are very few nice, crisp edges to anything. The dirt lacks a certain fine definition to my eyes (and fingers). And those skull pits are just abysmally bad. I mean, honestly, what designer looked at those and said "Yes! That's exactly what we want it to look like!"

All in all, I would not buy this table at full-price. Even at a 50% staff discount this is really pushing it. For a fraction of the cost you can buy some MDF, some hardware connectors, glue, sand, and foam and build something much nicer-looking, that's still just as modular. Hopefully if/when GW comes out with alternate sections those ones will look better than the original 6.

Call up GW on the phone at main office I believe. From what I hear they are very quick to make you happy if you have any problems. They might send you the piece you need, without even sending the double that you have.

Call them up first and see what they want you to do. They usually give extra for the trouble for your time, from what I read on these forums.

laucian_meliamne
01-12-2008, 19:38
So 40k models wont slide down the sloped sections of the hills?

This is pretty important to know as i intend on Painting my Board in Arctic colours and was undecided if I wanted to snow flock the board or not.

I'v had bad experiences with GW boards before, my local indy store got sent a Lord of the Rings demo board, which had a sloped hill.... the bloody thing was impossible to play on as models where sliding all over the place.

I was talking about the stand-alone modular hills that GW sells. Those two-piece plastic hills that lock together:
http://ca.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.ca?do=Individual&code=99129999005&orignav=300810
They cost about $40 (CDN). Those ones are rough enough that models actually stay put on the sloped parts. They actually look almost like they were made out of resin in terms of surface detail. Very crisp-looking.

GW's new gaming table (the object of this entire thread) is not so grippy when it comes to surface greebles. To quote by brother: "It fails the Deffkopta Test; a Deffkopta placed at the top of the hill in a normal fashion will slide down to the bottom of the hill."

If you look closely at GW's new gaming board the surface greebles (those tiny little surface details designed to give it a sense of scale) are... well, they're not there. There are macro-greebles, but there isn't anything really fine. It's just smooth, slightly-undulating plastic. You could glue sand down onto it to roughen it up and make the hills more "grippy", but out-of-the-box they're just far too slick for general use.

Batwings
01-12-2008, 20:06
'The Case - Very thick and sturdy. I don't feel like the tiles are going to rip it if one catches on the material.'

I wouldn't be so sure. I picked up my Battle Board on the weekend and after unpacking it noticed pairs of narrow splits in the nylon where the corners of the tiles had punched through the case. It's not something I would return the board to GW over, but I would recommend everyone who's bought the board and intends to be luggging it around frequently, reinforce the corners of the case with something like heavy duty duct tape.

Scorpion
01-12-2008, 21:52
Happened to a buddy of mine, when he ordered a Notebook. By Law, either GW or the Post service HAS to pay you or send a replacement. If they are to stupid to leave a card and a note where to pick your boxes up from a save place, it is not your fault. They cannot expect you to be home 24 hours a day... seven days a week. There is a LAW for that.

In my country, usually when the postman has a package to deliver and you're not home, they put a little receipt in your mail box and deposit the package in the nearest post office. When you come home, you see the little receipt, you gop to the post office and you pick your order up! Now, leaving big packages at your doorstep... That's just silly!

The Dude
01-12-2008, 21:58
We have the same system in Australia, but I've still had packages left at the door. My copy of Apocalypse Gamers edition was left near my bins, rather than near my front door, which is a worry. Lucky I'm on a pretty quiet street.

Tokamak
01-12-2008, 22:29
I'm still waiting for Citadel's jigsaw board, any news on that, or did it just die?

Scryer in the Darkness
01-12-2008, 22:39
We have the same system in Australia, but I've still had packages left at the door. My copy of Apocalypse Gamers edition was left near my bins, rather than near my front door, which is a worry. Lucky I'm on a pretty quiet street.
Recently Australia Post have introduced a 'Do Not Safe Drop' sticker which you can put on a parcel to ensure ('hypothetically') that the lowest-bid Parcel Delivery Contractors that Australia Post use won't just leave it on the front step, in the garden, behind the bins, etc.

Essentially what they have done is enact a Policy where 'Safe Drops' are the standard and the onus is on the sender to put a 'Do Not Safe Drop' sticker on the parcel. I'm not saying they're gonna leave it unattended every time but the Policy is down on paper.

Best ways of avoiding this? Get a PO Box or always use a Sign-for Service such as Registered Post. ;)

oni
01-12-2008, 23:36
'The Case - Very thick and sturdy. I don't feel like the tiles are going to rip it if one catches on the material.'

I wouldn't be so sure. I picked up my Battle Board on the weekend and after unpacking it noticed pairs of narrow splits in the nylon where the corners of the tiles had punched through the case. It's not something I would return the board to GW over, but I would recommend everyone who's bought the board and intends to be luggging it around frequently, reinforce the corners of the case with something like heavy duty duct tape.

I'm not sure what bag you got, but the whole inside of mine is lined with a thick material that feels kind of like rubber. :confused:

Bregalad
01-12-2008, 23:57
I'm still waiting for Citadel's jigsaw board, any news on that, or did it just die?
It died because the Asian manufacturer coudn't produce the necessary quality for a reasonable price. This time the quality is okay :rolleyes:

Ironbreaker
02-12-2008, 00:14
The bag reminds me of something:

How would 6 heavy plastic boards react to each other if painted or even flocked? I guess there are no foam sheets between them preventing the rubbing off of paint and flock.

So basically, these are untransportable, right? This makes Zuzzy mats look even better (not to speak of details, versatility, grip ... and price)

If you follow GW's instructions and place a layer of bubble wrap between each tile, it should fare fine. Far from "untransportable".

Also, is it really necessary to keep mentioning Zuzzy? I think we get the point by now.

Batwings
02-12-2008, 00:40
'I'm not sure what bag you got, but the whole inside of mine is lined with a thick material that feels kind of like rubber.'

Odd... There's no 'rubbery' lining in mine.
I bought it from an independent here in the US and it was still in its original shipping box so hadn't been opened.

Anyone else with one care to comment?

Batwings
02-12-2008, 00:43
*Edit - Having looked at your pics, I can't see any difference in your case to mine.

GotTofu
02-12-2008, 03:47
Killgore you mentioned you're going to paint yours up arctic style. I'm at an impass trying to decide between arctic and waste lands.

I was wondering if could post pictures of the finished product or how you painted it up. Never had any luck painting with light colors myself

GotTofu
02-12-2008, 03:48
'I'm not sure what bag you got, but the whole inside of mine is lined with a thick material that feels kind of like rubber.'

Odd... There's no 'rubbery' lining in mine.
I bought it from an independent here in the US and it was still in its original shipping box so hadn't been opened.

Anyone else with one care to comment?

The rubbery lining is only on the bottom of mine its a 1/2 inch thick or so rubber something covered with canvas on the bottom of the bag probably to prevent too much stress at any one point on the bottom.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
02-12-2008, 04:10
I'M SO JEALOUS!! I pre-ordered mine and it still hasn't arrived yet. Although it's probably better, as I have two papers to write tonight...

I can't wait for it to arrive. I am kind of leaning towards an arctic board, but I feel like that wouldn't be flexible enough. I do have some green boards already, but... I just don't want to paint them and then regret it!

Norsehawk
02-12-2008, 13:11
Hmm, I will also go in with the others saying that I expected there to be a bit more texture on the board than what is shown in the pictures. It is also amazing that every single skull is facing upwards as well.

Ah well, I guess that is what they make sand for.

Major Thom
02-12-2008, 15:42
In some of the design notes from GW they had stated the surface was snag free to make sliding movement trays easier.

crandall87
02-12-2008, 18:49
Surely if these were flocked and them moved about a bit, over time the flock would start to come off. Especially when the boards rub against each other in the bag. I have one of these coming tomorrow or the next day. I hope mine isn't left outside.

Killgore
02-12-2008, 19:50
Killgore you mentioned you're going to paint yours up arctic style. I'm at an impass trying to decide between arctic and waste lands.

I was wondering if could post pictures of the finished product or how you painted it up. Never had any luck painting with light colors myself

That was my initial intention.... Just got the thing home a few hours ago and had a look at it and my earlier enthusiasm for painting it arctic has somewhat deminished

I'm now going for the safer route of painting it wastelands dark grey with mabey snow flock on the hill sections

Deus Mechanicus
03-12-2008, 00:48
We have the same system in Australia, but I've still had packages left at the door.

Yikes whos genious idea was that? I mean Australia is built on a foundation of thievery, robbery and criminal behaviour. One would think that they'd be smart enough not to leave stuff at the door.

Templar Ben
03-12-2008, 02:38
Surely if these were flocked and them moved about a bit, over time the flock would start to come off. Especially when the boards rub against each other in the bag. I have one of these coming tomorrow or the next day. I hope mine isn't left outside.

Maybe in a few weeks we will have some photos of how they hold up for transport. Funny that GW says to go get bubblewrap to transport them. Why not just include some 1/8 inch spacer foam sheets between them since they have a nice margin already?

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
03-12-2008, 04:54
I just got mine out of the box today, huzzah! I can't believe how huge and heavy it is. I'm thinking about going with the old standby, brown with green static grass.

Ilmarinen
03-12-2008, 08:45
Still not sure how I'm going to finish mine. I'm pretty sure I'm going for an autumnal theme, with more pale yellow grass than the standard green (to go with the autumn trees).

However, an arctic board would look fantastic - very Lost Planet. The only problem would be my Warhammer armies would look a bit weird.

Bregalad
03-12-2008, 09:24
Why not just include some 1/8 inch spacer foam sheets between them since they have a nice margin already?
In December, GW will release a set of 5 1/8 inch spacers for just 50.- .

No, just kidding :p

Partisan Rimmo
05-12-2008, 00:47

WHO WOULD PUT THAT MANY HEADS THERE? WHO? AND THEN WOULD THEY JUST FORGET OR SOMETHING? WHERE DID THE REST OF THE BODIES END UP?

I FEEL I'M ON THE VERGE OF A MENTAL BREAKDOWN HERE

Killgore
05-12-2008, 01:37

WHO WOULD PUT THAT MANY HEADS THERE? WHO? AND THEN WOULD THEY JUST FORGET OR SOMETHING? WHERE DID THE REST OF THE BODIES END UP?

im using that bit of terrain as a deamonic pic... othertimes it'l be covered over by craters/ buildings

scarletsquig
05-12-2008, 02:20
Hmm, the skull pit... I would be tempted to putty over the skulls and make a seperate tiberium-like set of crystals to go on top, making it look like they're breaking out of the ground.

Could do the same with lava, tentacles etc.

Rioghan Murchadha
05-12-2008, 03:01

Maybe it's a Khorne Daemon World, that actually contains a stratum composed entirely of skulls, just under the soil layer.

It IS kind of funny that they're all facing up though... And odd that there isn't a seperate bone pit somewhere else.

edit: That or they realized that they really DID include way too many extra skulls on the old skeleton sprues and had to do something with the ones they had laying around, so they stuck them on the master for the board.

Brimweave
05-12-2008, 13:41
They could have just left the skull hole just a indentation in the terrain so you could easily model what you want in it, like slime, water, lava, ince cream (all more likely to be in that hole than just billions of skulls without bodies).

Wolf Scout Ewan
05-12-2008, 17:34
Those skull holes are just asking to be cut or anded out.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
05-12-2008, 18:16
It seems pretty obvious that the skull pits are not simply an accumulation of skulls from battles over a period of time. In the White Dwarf issue they mentioned it being some sort of Pit of Khorne or something. It would explain why there are only skulls in there, why they are all facing up, and why there are so many of them. And while you may not play Chaos, there are Chaos followers all over the world, not to mention tons of other unsavory and nasty creatures, so it's not all that implausible to find a giant pit filled with only skulls, even if they are all facing up.

Why does this bother people so much? If you just look for a semi-reasonable answer, it's there. You don't have to jump to "dark background = skulls" and "warhammer modelers = stupid."

Norsehawk
05-12-2008, 18:25
The problem I have with it is that they chose to put little collections of skulls on several of the boards.

Skull pit here
Slightly large crack, so fill it with skulls.
small skull pit here.

I know that there seems to be a rule that every GW model except for Eldar and Tau must have at least 1 skull on them, but on the game board, it has reached the point of absurdity. 1 bone pit on the board would have been nice, but instead they went for the lets put 100 skulls, all facing up deal. And to make the whole thing cross platform, they are all human skulls, no orcs, elves, or anything else.

Warboss Antoni
06-12-2008, 01:33
I doubt Gamesworkshop made it intending to be a skull pit. They probabally made the pits and said, "wait people don't like this. Let's put an excuse in our monthly catalogue." I can understand you would want to fill it in, but why buy it if you can bypass that by making your own table?

chaos0xomega
06-12-2008, 02:07
They made these things out of hard plastic...

...Seriously?
Is GW that set on making everything plastic that they don't even consider alternative materials? I can think of a few alternative materials they could have used that would have made these pieces lighter AND cheaper. Not neccesarily sturdier mind you, but sturdy enough that with care it wouldn't fall apart.

Templar Ben
08-12-2008, 13:36
Obviously the easiest would be resin over a fiberglass backing. That won't lend itself to huge production runs but given the pricing it is not like they are flying off the shelf.

Wolf Scout Ewan
08-12-2008, 16:31
What made me laugh was the competition "The best painted Realm of Battle Gameboard will recieve a free Gameboard!"

What?

chaos0xomega
08-12-2008, 16:52
If you paint your's well they'll send you another one so that you can make a double sized board?

Deepthroat
08-12-2008, 19:24
What made me laugh was the competition "The best painted Realm of Battle Gameboard will recieve a free Gameboard!"

What?

Why don't you read the page again:-

Having just launched the awesome Citadel Realm of Battle Gameboard, we thought we'd celebrate by holding a competition to find the very best painted and based Gameboard in the realm. Read on for you chance to win some fantastic prizes, including:

1. A piece of full-colour cover-art from an army book or codex, signed by the artist.
2. A custom-made piece of scenery, not available from anywhere else, created by Warhammer World's very own Scenery Team.
3. The winning entry will be featured in a future issue of White Dwarf.

Killgore
09-12-2008, 09:53
The problem I have with it is that they chose to put little collections of skulls on several of the boards.

Skull pit here
Slightly large crack, so fill it with skulls.
small skull pit here.

I know that there seems to be a rule that every GW model except for Eldar and Tau must have at least 1 skull on them, but on the game board, it has reached the point of absurdity. 1 bone pit on the board would have been nice, but instead they went for the lets put 100 skulls, all facing up deal. And to make the whole thing cross platform, they are all human skulls, no orcs, elves, or anything else.

After playing a game on my battleboard im happy to say the Skull pit actualy made a rather characterful addition to the battlefield. My old ForgeWorld Khorne Monolith looked right at home next to it.

I think it was a good luck charm as I won my first fantasy battlegame with my VC in 5 years :D

rich1231
09-12-2008, 10:52
No offense guys, and I know we are a discounter but they are selling in quantity.

Norsehawk
09-12-2008, 16:59
The UPS guy just dropped off my ROB gameboard, and the first thing I did was to count the skulls, and while I am not certain that I got all of them, or that I may have counted a few more than once, I came up with the number 482 as to the number of skulls that are on the entire board.

Every single board had at least 3 skulls on it, and the 2 skull pit boards had huge amounts of them. They forgot to add skulls to the clips tho.

x-esiv-4c
09-12-2008, 17:43
With all those skulls, you have to wonder why the Imperium didn't carve terra into a giant skull.

Fire Harte
09-12-2008, 17:57

It haz no skullz! :skull:

---------------

Oni- Rather nice pics, thanks!

Skaven13
10-12-2008, 00:51
I like the boards. They look nice, but a bit too pricey for me. What also looks nice are those terminators! Very nice work!
From the distance though, it looks like the dred is wearing some fashionable tighty-whities...

Jedi152
10-12-2008, 08:40

What?

Is that the one on the GW site? Because the prizes are:

"1. A piece of full-colour cover-art from an army book or codex, signed by the artist.
2. A custom-made piece of scenery, not available from anywhere else, created by Warhammer World's very own Scenery Team.
3. The winning entry will be featured in a future issue of White Dwarf."

The best bit is how to enter: "First buy a gameboard (or ask for one for Christmas!)".

Even if it was a decent price i wouldn't buy it because of those damned skulls.

Sidstyler
10-12-2008, 10:45
Indeed...skulls on the models makes sense, but I have to put my foot down when they start coming up out of the earth.

With all those skulls, you have to wonder why the Imperium didn't carve terra into a giant skull.

I can't wait for the day when we get the 6th edition rulebook and there's a picture of a giant mechanical skull with a "Terra" label above it in the fluff section.

Major Thom
10-12-2008, 13:48
I just finished removing the skulls from my boards. I used my Dremel motor tool on a slow speed and was careful.

Then I treated the milled out area with Testors liquid solvent which smoothed out some off the mill marks and and melted the fuzz back into the base material.

Jedi152
10-12-2008, 13:51
That's more like it!

tsutek
10-12-2008, 14:24
I went to a store the day the gameboard was out.. picked up the bag and thought to myself "ain't no way I can carry this anywhere without a car if I also gotta be carrying minis and terrain at the same time".. I could have even been able to tolerate the high price.. Knowing that there's skullcheese all over the product makes me a bit happier about not owning one :)

Osbad
10-12-2008, 16:10
No offense guys, and I know we are a discounter but they are selling in quantity.

That's interesting to know! I, alongside many others, appear to have misjudged the number of "keenies" out there for whom the price is not a problem.

TonyFlow
10-12-2008, 16:45
I have now played on the new battle board in my local store... I must say, that i dont find it that sexy at all. Models slide down from the hills (why didnt they make more of the hill areas flat?), skulls all over, and being in sections it is easier for people with guess range warmachines to guess correctly.
Although i havent considered buying it at any time simply because it is out of my price range.

Mad Jack Deacon
10-12-2008, 17:41
Hey Major Thom, you gonna paint those newly smoothed pits like they're full of blood?

'Cuz that's what you're supposed to do if you don't have skulls to fill 'em!

Major Thom
10-12-2008, 18:55
Hey Major Thom, you gonna paint those newly smoothed pits like they're full of blood?

'Cuz that's what you're supposed to do if you don't have skulls to fill 'em!

I was thinking maybe tar, or long cooled lava. These boards are doing duty for 15mm WWII, 28mm WWII, Old West, and Mecha plus 40K.

So no blood, Khorne is going to have to get his cob bloodied somewhere else.:evilgrin:

Huw_Dawson
10-12-2008, 20:22
Maybe fill the skull holes with water effect?

- Huw

Mad Jack Deacon
10-12-2008, 23:18
I was thinking maybe tar, or long cooled lava. These boards are doing duty for 15mm WWII, 28mm WWII, Old West, and Mecha plus 40K.

So no blood, Khorne is going to have to get his cob bloodied somewhere else.:evilgrin:

Fair enough. I like the idea of tar, but if it has to be a board for all your games across a variety of genres, I'd say add some sand, let it dry, and water effect it for swampy holes. Add some reeds and cattails (go to a Scale RR supply store) around the edges, and a lily pad or two made from little rounds left by a hole punch.

Voila, a swampy little pond!