PDA

View Full Version : Best horus heresy books

Killgore
01-12-2008, 10:28
My favorates where Mechanicum, Fulgrim and Flight of the Eisenstein

The Tech Priests have always interested me and Mechanicum does a good job of portraying the fall of mars in the Heresy era, Fulgrims is a monster of a book (the biggest at 500 pages) with some very cool moments, and Flight of the Eisenstein helps flesh out the attack on Istvan III and what happens afterwards with some very good characters.

But I enjoyed each book, though some where definatly better then others

The first three books (Horus rising, False Gods and Galexy in flames) didnt really interest me very much, people say these are the best but i perfer storys about the other legions.

It pains me to say this but the worst book is Battle for the Abyss, parts of the book where excelent, for example the World Eater and Thousand Son marine, but the Ultramarines where dull and my favorate legion the Word Bearers where worse then saturday morning cartoon villans, who couldnt hit a barn door at 10 paces and could be bested by a cripple in hand to hand combat.

Scorpius_78
01-12-2008, 12:30
I have to say Legion and Fulgrim were the best but i still like all of them (even Descent of Angels). Flight of the Eisenstein was also very good. I liked that we got to see what the Death Guard were like before there fall to Nurgle.

LemanRuss
01-12-2008, 14:14
so ive read the first three books and i queite liked them.
so i thought id go out and buy the next book in line but now ivve been hearing that certain books in the series are just plain filth and a yawn of a read.

so instead of trying it out for myself i'm taking caution and asking you guys what the better books of this series are and which ones to definetly avoid.

i ask this as i have experience on the ruining of a series.
the space wolf series in fact.
i loved the first book, the second was oke as was the third.
the fourth was just boring and the fifth and sixth just sucked donkey balls(pardon my french)

so now you see the motivation behind my question(aha its all coming together)

so now fly my little internet piggies and find me my precious answers so i can read! read! read!

aad
01-12-2008, 14:26
i don,t really have a problem with any of them.

although the book: descent of angels is not so good BUT. another book about the dark angels is coming. and then descent of angels would make a lot more sense.:)

Inquisitor Engel
01-12-2008, 14:27
I'm in sort of the same boat as you.

Horus Rising was FANTASTIC, but I've found myself going through False Gods much quicker, and not because I want to get it over with. The writing style is different, but McNiell and Abnett certainly are the two best authors writing the series so far.

I'll finish all of them for complacency to be honest.

And I want to find out what happens to Loken!

azreal1
01-12-2008, 14:27
personally my favourite would be fulgrim, incredible book

my least favourites would have to be mechanicum, legion and decent of angels (i know its apparently meant to be the first of seveal in that storyline but it was lacking heresy for me)

although, i still go against what everyone says about missing out this book and not bothering with that, as firstly its their opinion and not mine (they might have different tastes and id rather not risk that) and secondly its a horus heresy book and i like knowing as much as i can from all the points of view (thats what i love about the series)

just my point of view but theyre all interesting reads so i would say buy them all

Bregalad
01-12-2008, 15:32
I vote for Legion, as it has the most complex plot.
I also like "Flight of the Eisenstein" for their describtion of Death Guard rising.
Descent of Angels is something not quite fitting into the line, as it describes a primarch planet's first contact with the Imperium, which is at the same time, but only losely connected with the Horus Heresy. It is weaker, but not Goto-weak.

Drakon
01-12-2008, 15:36
id have to say "galaxy in flames" and "fulgrim" are my favs so far, although fulgrim starts off really slow the ending is just one of the best to-date.

nightgant98c
01-12-2008, 15:41
I'm only up to Legion, which I'm only over half way through, but I've enjoyed them all. I do however agree that Descent of Angels is the weakest, largely because it has nothing to do with the heresy.

djinn8
01-12-2008, 16:07
Well I was really taken with the first three, then I read Flight of the Eisenstein and was hugly dissapointed. I had to skip the first half of the book as it was just retelling scenes from the third book but with a different perspective. The second half was a let down as it had none of the depth of the Horus trilogy and was more.. I don't know, gribbily monsters, jubbly death and traps you can see the characters walking into a mile off. In a word: shallow.

I read Fulgrim next and was blown away. It is by far the best book of the series for me. It's just so debase and chilling. Some of the scenes in it will stick with me for years and the writing style is spot on. Only bad thing I could say about this book was its slow start - a 5 chapter battle right in the beginning where you follow characters you don't really know or care about. (yeah I know that this is how all the books start, but this one just seemed to drag a little more than the others).

The only other Heresy book I've read is Legion, and well... it was ok. Entertaining, and with it being told through the perspective of guardsmen it had a different flavor. There are some good characters in it and some nice ideas, but the progress of the plot didn't work very well (just as you're getting into part and the revelations are about to come, a fight breaks out and you end up reading through the interlude just to get back to the story). A few elements of the plot were never wrapped up in my eyes either.

Just my opinion.

Crazy Tom
01-12-2008, 16:11
Legion, through and through, is the best book in that series yet (this from a literary viewpoint) It has got a fantastic plot, likeable characters, some brilliant description and imagery and a fantastic link to the overarching background of WH40K.

Horus Rising, of course, is fantastic in its own way, painting a 'different' 40K that is immersive and interesting.

The next one I really liked was Flight of the Eisenstein. Even though the plot is simple, it was pulled off well enough for me to like itand Garro was a decent character, if a little bland around the edges. Had some brilliant action scenes, too, and managed to get pretty tense when Dorn shows up. I'm not saying it's a well-written book, especially, but I did enjoy rereading. (Actually, it was one the second read that I realised I liked it.)

A few elements of the plot were never wrapped up in my eyes either.

That would not only be Legion's charm but also the point of the Alpha Legion. Pretty much all the narrators we here from are unreliable on one level or another

TheLionReturns
01-12-2008, 16:22
Its a pretty good series but it has its ups and downs. I would recommend you give them all a chance. After all we all have individual tastes.

For example Descent of Angels always seems to get criticised on here but it was one of my favourites. It was perhaps more of a background book than the others but that appealed to me. It has a bit of a rushed feel at the end, but overall an enjoyable read for me.

My favourite has to be Legion. Couldn't put the book down and for a Black Library offering had a pretty complex and absorbing plot. Least favourite would be Battle for the Abyss which was honestly one of the worst books I have read. I am struggling to think of a redeeming feature to be honest. The Thousand Sons character was ok, but his interaction with other characters seemed a bit unsatisfactory to me. That said I am sure others have probably got bored of Legion and enjoyed Battle for the Abyss.

I think one important thing to realise is that the Horus Heresy series isn't necessary just the story of the Heresy. It is more a collection of tales set in the Heresy time period. Some of the books, Descent of Angels for example, seem to be peripheral to the main tale of the actual heresy, but are very much part of the time setting. It doesn't necessarily advance the story line but instead describes the formative years of a legion and the rediscovery of the world by the Emperor.

The point here is not to expect the books after the first three to follow directly on to the confrontation between Horus and the Emperor. The later books seem to depart from the main story line at tangents, to flesh out the universe at the time and everything that is happening around this main thread. For me this is a strong point for the series but I understand that some find it a bit frustrating and want to get to the main event.

RCgothic
01-12-2008, 16:23
I was there, the day horus slew the Emperor...

Fantastic opening to a fantastic series. I'd rate them in tiers:

1st: Horus Rising, Fulgrim, Legion
2nd: False Gods, Galaxy in Flames, Flight of the Eisenstein
3rd: Descent of Angels, Mechanicum
4th: Battle for the Abyss

Descent of Angels has some excellent librarian stuff, it's just a bit lacking in Heresy. Mechanicum similarly feels a bit disconnected.
Battle for the Abyss is the only one that is really below average. The best characters were Skraal and Mhotep, the world eater and the Thousand Son, not the Ultramarines.

Archaon
01-12-2008, 17:01
I was there, the day horus slew the Emperor...

Fantastic opening to a fantastic series. I'd rate them in tiers:

1st: Horus Rising, Fulgrim, Legion
2nd: False Gods, Galaxy in Flames, Flight of the Eisenstein
3rd: Descent of Angels, Mechanicum
4th: Battle for the Abyss

Descent of Angels has some excellent librarian stuff, it's just a bit lacking in Heresy. Mechanicum similarly feels a bit disconnected.
Battle for the Abyss is the only one that is really below average. The best characters were Skraal and Mhotep, the world eater and the Thousand Son, not the Ultramarines.

Pretty much my recommendations.. haven't read Mechanicum though but it is ordered and i should get it soon.

The first trilogy is awesome.. an inside look into the Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus and a look at characters we all know today but started out way differently (Abaddon, Horus, etc).

Fulgrim has a special place in this series so far showing how insidiously Chaos can turn people without them ever realizing it and the climax of that turning is just plain disgusting/breathtaking/fantastic.
The dropsite massacre is a bit short though but i guess we'll get a better account when the Raven Guard, Salamander and Iron Hand books are released.

Legion was very mysterious as it is befitting of the Alpha Legion.. the concept was unique and well done and leaves many questions open.

Descent you can almost skip over right now.. it's a tale about some initiates being tested and trained in a fortress monastery on a death world and a particular one who's making his way to hero. Oh.. the last 50-100 pages make the real connection to the HH series:rolleyes: (if you disregard Lion'el and Luthor walking about).

Abyss is just pure crap when viewed with the HH eye.. it's got next to nothing to do with the HH. A self contained story just coincidentally set in the HH timeframe. Additionally it's also not very well written which is a bit astonishing for a BL book (battle, more battle, a bit of plot and desperate battle at the end).

I'm very much looking forward to the Space Wolf book (or is it a "team up" book with Space Wolves/Thousand Sons :p) which has been confirmed and being written by McNeil/Abnett (i think) and maybe Fallen Angels has some redeeming features to make of for Descent.

Gdolkin
01-12-2008, 17:27
Fulgrim was definitely the best, it's the only one to really chronicle the Primarch & his legions descent into chaos. Seeing them go from a strict loyalists to such debased hedonists that they could so easily be turned. It all build up to quite an ending too :D

About the peripheral stories, I like them. I'd like to see much more information on the origins of the betrayal. We know it didn't start with Horus & it didn't even start with Logar, Logar was corrupted by Kor Phaeron but was he in turn corrupted by another marine? Where did it all start?

-I entirely agree on both points here. While 'Fulgrim' offers the most in-depth, almost-even-plausible account of the gradual process of doctrinal subversion and creeping excess that twisted noble Astartes into Chaotic monsters of the whole series, the portrayal of the Word Bearers in BftA (and even of Erebus in the opening trilogy) is immensely unsatisfying by contrast. 'Saturday morning cartoon villians' is a description that has been used here on Warseer.
As has also been said, the series is not just about the most central defining events of the Heresy (Davin, Istvaan, Terra), but the also the wider context and events leading to "The Heresy Itself". This is why Descent of Angels, Legion, and Battle for the Abyss are legitimate and relevant parts of the history, as they go some way to explaining the later situations and behaviours of the Dark Angels, Alpha Legion and Ultramarines, respectively. BftA, despite being pretty much as badly written as everyone says, is not an irrelevant sideline that 'might as well be set in 40k', but rather offers some insight and explanation into what the Ultramarines were up to and how come they were so untouched by the Heresy: Because the Word Bearer's plan to neutralize them failed. Before learning of the Battle for Calth and the plans and tactics leading up to it, one wondered what the hell was keeping the Ultra's so busy..
..So where the hell is the book about Lorgar's despair and disillusionment with the Emperor, Kor Phaeron's whispers of Gods who deserved and craved adoration, and the perversion of the most devout Legion's ideology to the fanatical worship of Chaos, and the planning of Erebus's galaxy-shattering mission to corrupt the Warmaster Horus..? The Word Bearers in BftA are, to borrow a phrase which I believe someone on Warseer applied to the Ultramarine Cestus in the same book, "Cardboard cut-outs that haven't even been painted." They're all like, "Mwahaha! We are evil and we worship The Word!!", "Why's that then sir? What exactly is The Word?", "I have no idea, silence lackey! mwahahaha!!"
EDIT: Or at least BftA could/should/would have been more of a useful piece of the big picture, if it wasn't so weak.
Why has my post turned up 5 posts above the one I quoted from abasio? Confusing..

Grindgodgrind
01-12-2008, 17:47
Legion is my favourite, best plot of all of them.

Phunting
01-12-2008, 18:18
Agreed with most people really. Fulgrim and Horus Rising as the absolute best, all the rest are very good with the exception of DofA, which is a bit sub-par.

However DofA is still good compared to almost all M41 books, so still worth reading, I just didn't feel it was up to the standard of the others.

fudgebutt
01-12-2008, 18:59
I'm almost done Fulgrim, and it may be the best example of Black Library fiction that I've ever had the pleasure of reading. The imagery, the struggles, the characters, all butter.

Drakon
01-12-2008, 19:23
I'm very much looking forward to the Space Wolf book (or is it a "team up" book with Space Wolves/Thousand Sons :p) which has been confirmed and being written by McNeil/Abnett (i think) and maybe Fallen Angels has some redeeming features to make of for Descent.

im also looking forward to *these* books. Yes it is said that there will be two books covering the SW and TS one from each sides view

ryng_sting
01-12-2008, 19:42
Fulgrim and Flight of the Eisenstein best, Descent of Angels and Battle for the Abyss worst by far.

HK-47
01-12-2008, 19:57
My favorites are Legion, Fulgrim, and the first four with Horus Rising being the best in the series. I haven't read Mechanicum yet, but the people who have say that I should look at it simply for all of the crazy things in the book.

My lest favorite has to be the Battle for the Abyss, that was a waste of money in my opinion.

abasio
01-12-2008, 21:43
Fulgrim was definitely the best, it's the only one to really chronicle the Primarch & his legions descent into chaos. Seeing them go from a strict loyalists to such debased hedonists that they could so easily be turned. It all build up to quite an ending too :D

Legion was also great, the secrets & lies tag line was spot on. Many things were left up in the air & BL could easily decide to write more Alpha Legion books or as they are so secretive they could just leave it as a secret.

The first 3 were of course great, I knew so little of Horus before that apart from the outline of the Horus Heresy. The betrayal of the troops in the legions they didn't think would turn was outstanding. Also the rise of Tarvitz was very interesting.

I like flight of the Eisenstein (which I read as Einstein for the first 3 quarters of it) to, it showed how it wasn't so much the Primarches that were instrumental in turning to Chaos. First Captain Typhon mentions that he is already far along the path, that Mortarion & Horus are nowhere near his understanding of the dark forces (or something similar). It was interesting to see some legions being corrupted not from the primarch down but through his lieutenants.

Descent of Angels will be a great start if it's a trilogy & with a follow up in the pipeline it looks like it will be. Luther's betrayal of the Lion is one of the biggest stories from that era, echoing Horus's betrayal of the Emperor & it's only right that they give it the attention that it deserves.

Battle For The Abyss was pretty good for what it was. I think the reason most people didn't like it was that it was too accurate. The Ultramarines are boring unimaginative loyalists, writing them accurately appears very flat. It also showed the Word Bearers as Zealous idiots that had gone so far down the chaos route that they were mistrusting, back stabbing pricks. The massive book gun though was a bit too much.

About the peripheral stories, I like them. I'd like to see much more information on the origins of the betrayal. We know it didn't start with Horus & it didn't even start with Logar, Logar was corrupted by Kor Phaeron but was he in turn corrupted by another marine? Where did it all start?

Londinium
04-12-2008, 22:10
1. Fulgrim, just perfection, weaving in and out of the Loken trilogy and stuff mentioned in Eisenstein and combining that with a tragic fall from grace story, I think more BL titles should be allowed the length of this book, it really allowed McNeill to flesh the story out.

2. Mechanicum, Information about the union of Mars and Terra, background on the titan legions, city state like forges, the dragon, great stuff. It really surprised me actually as I've never been a fan of the Mechanicum before reading this book.

3. Legion, Would have taken first place if not for the utterly silly plot twist at the end which goes against everything the Alpha Legion say they stand for throughout the book.

4. Horus Rising, excellent entry into the series and set the tone for the rest of the books.

5. False Gods, Probably on a par with Horus Rising.

6. Galaxy in Flames, Probably wasn't the best idea to cut the word count so much and put a less interesting author in charge of this book considering it's vital story. It was pretty jarring to go from the dense long books at the start of the series, to this rather spartan offering.

7. Battle of the Abyss/Descent of Angels, havn't read either of these yet.

I'm hoping for some focus on the lesser legions soon, especially a book on the Raven Guard, it could take the same approach as Fulgrim and weave in and out of the storyline, detailing the legion before, during and after Istvaan.

LordFulgrim
05-12-2008, 12:48
Horus Rising, False Gods and Fulgrim were IMO the best two although I might be biased on Fulgrim because I love the EC.
I liked Legion but it took too long before anything really happened or was revealed, at least that's what I feel. Battle for the Abyss had some interesting moments although most of it felt like a b-action movie; way too overdone and at times ridiculous.
Mechanicum was a bit of a letdown; as an AdMech fan I guess I just expected too much but I really hated the whole lie of Mars things explained so fully it leaves little to the imagination.

orkz222
16-12-2008, 08:49
I started late, still at flight of Eisenstein. I would rate Horus rising as the best for now.

burtnernie
16-12-2008, 09:25
Fulgrim
Flight of the Eisenstein
Horus Rising
Legion
Galaxy in Flames
False Gods
Mechanichum
Descent of Angels

Battle for the Abyss

Unfortunately, without being a spoiler I can't give my views, but the book could have been 1 chapter.

Also the Lightning Tower and the Dark King are cool as well...

Xisor
16-12-2008, 09:56
Mechanicum and Horus Rising

HR was simply tremendous. A very finely written book, tight and with great development. Obviously, being the first in the series, it was definitive.

Mech, on the otherhand, was something new and utterly contrary to HR...yet so immersed in the core of the Heresy and underlying almost all the events that happen. It's really a fascinating novel and quite well written too.

Weakest

Battle for the Abyss

It pains me to say that BftA was so bad, as I enjoyed alot of the story with some tremendously good parts to it...but on the otherhand it was gash. Poor characters, a lack of sterling thought-food (why no in-depth discussion on religion, the Imperial Truth etc? Hmmm? Why no flashbacks to Nikea?) and a dubious plot. (Why not just send one of the frigates back to Terra to warn everyone and then everyone else pursue the Abyss?)

With the other boooks, I felt Flight was curiously poor. A very fun read and an endearing cast...but I found little to sing-and-dance about it. Similarly with the second pair in the original trilogy. Fulgrim was awesome at points (particularly the final concert), but generally was pulled down by the only non-idiot primarchs being Corax and Vulkan. That Fulgrim and Ferrus Manus appeared to be little more'n idiots didn't help things move in a convincing manner.

Legion ought to get an honourable mention for being a fine book. A breath of fresh air in the series giving a look on some of the other reasons folks have for their Heresy.

Descent of Angels was really rather brilliant. It mightn't be physically 'involved' in the Heresy, but it tells the story of the DA's part in the Heresy and, to be utterly honest, it told it very well.

Inquisitor Engel
16-12-2008, 17:39
Horus Rising has THE BEST beginning to any book EVER.

Drakon
16-12-2008, 19:15
why is everyone hating on Mechanicum so much.

Im almost finished it and i like what ive read so far. Lots of information about the Mechanicum which i knew little of before.

Note the horus betrayal does have more elements in it that just space marines againts space marines. And its one of the first HH books that doesnt have any SM in it, except a saly thats last no more than one or two pages.

Imperialis_Dominatus
16-12-2008, 19:18
Also the Lightning Tower and the Dark King are cool as well...

OK. I've heard a lot about these. Where can I find them, anyway?

Freefire
17-12-2008, 06:49
Im about 150 pages into Battle for the Abyss and I have to say I had a similar reaction to a lot of people here. The Word Bearers do seem rather comically evil. The Bearers are all suspicious of each other, hate each other, vying for position and looking for weakness in each other. No sense of brotherhood that is supposed to be a part of a Legion. I can see after a while of being tainted by Chaos, that it would set in but it seems to easy. But I wouldn't say the book has been bad. The battle between the Saturnine Squadron and the Abyss was a page turner.

It seems to be Ben Counter's writing style. Galaxy in Flames was almost brisk in pace compared to the first two HH books. But it was good. I don't ever remember feeling the sense of sadness and terrible waste that I felt while reading the Istavaan III section in any other book I've read. Just the betrayal the loyal Marines felt was palpable.

I remember almost not being able to get through the beginning of Horus Rising. Just the terms and names being thrown around that I didn't recognize, ranks and titles. Plus the fact that they were attacking "Terra" and the "Emperor" made it hard to follow at first. I had the same reaction at the beginning of Legion with the Geno troops and Whips and the like. But I stuck with both and am glad I did.

Fulgrim is as good as everyone says. Plus its basically HH part 4 in that it advances the events in the first three books with Istavaan V events. You kinda have to read it to continue the story.

Flight of the Eisenstein was alright. Descent of Angels too.

laudarkul
17-12-2008, 09:01
1st: Legion - Perfection from the plot/characters point of view
2nd: The Trilogy (OMG The Begining), Fulgrim (almost complete and perfect description of a primarch), Flight of the Eisenstein ( a crucial, moment explained ), Descent of Angels ( almost complete and perfect description of an original Legion ), Mechanicum ( a perfect view of AM, and with Titanicus smth curious:D: could we expect in 2 years a new codex:chrome:? ) - amazing
3rd: Battle for the Abyss- incomplete imho (I just miss the battle)

Whitehorn
17-12-2008, 09:18
I've only read up to Fulgrim so far.

I really enjoyed Eisenstein because it was a good insight into my own marines, but I found the first 3 to be a very immersing set to read - I couldn't put them down :)

Toramino
18-12-2008, 08:04
Fulgrim is by far the best and the Emperors Children are very interesting, following close behind is Horus Rising and False gods, both very good reads that have a vastly different feel than the 40k universe, GIF is good to an extent but lacks the storytelling depth of the other 3.

Flight of the Esienstein is good but not great, and Garro does make a refreshing change from the other marines as he has tons of doubts and conflicts inside of him. Legion and Mechanicum are good for revealing some interesting plot points of the heresy (although personally i found them to be slightly ridiculous)

Batlle for the Abyss and Descent of Angels are just plain bad. Descent is a bad fantasy novel for the first half, leading to a rushed last half that in the end feels hollow. And the less said about BFTA the better, the characters are 1 dimentional legion gimmicks, the space wolf drinks a lot and likes to brawl, the world eater gets angry a lot and the ultramarines are mind numbingly perfect and word bearers are possibly the most incompetent CSM ive ever read. Basically a 40k book that has very little to do with the HH populated by hideously bad characters.

Phunting
18-12-2008, 09:45
Fulgrim is by far the best and the Emperors Children are very interesting, following close behind is Horus Rising and False gods, both very good reads that have a vastly different feel than the 40k universe, GIF is good to an extent but lacks the storytelling depth of the other 3.

Flight of the Esienstein is good but not great, and Garro does make a refreshing change from the other marines as he has tons of doubts and conflicts inside of him. Legion and Mechanicum are good for revealing some interesting plot points of the heresy (although personally i found them to be slightly ridiculous)

Batlle for the Abyss and Descent of Angels are just plain bad. Descent is a bad fantasy novel for the first half, leading to a rushed last half that in the end feels hollow. And the less said about BFTA the better, the characters are 1 dimentional legion gimmicks, the space wolf drinks a lot and likes to brawl, the world eater gets angry a lot and the ultramarines are mind numbingly perfect and word bearers are possibly the most incompetent CSM ive ever read. Basically a 40k book that has very little to do with the HH populated by hideously bad characters.I don't dislike DofA and BftA as much as you seem to; I thought they were ok, just no way near as good as the rest. Though I agree with you points against them totally. That aside, this pretty much mirrors my opinions on the books exactly.

Daemonslave
18-12-2008, 14:18
I really like Horus Rising, Fulgrim and Mechanicum, while I found the events on Calliban in Descent of Angels to be well written. I was not too fussed on Galaxy in Flames or Battle for the Abyss, though I've never been a fan of most of Counters work to be honest.

I can't wait for 'Prospero Burns' and 'A Thousand Sons' though

jfrazell
18-12-2008, 14:27
Horus Rising best of the lot.

Legion. Good story for both guard and Alpha Legion, but took too long to get where it was going I thought.

The other ones were meh. I have not read Descent or Mechanicum as the series has already bored me at this point.

Mojaco
18-12-2008, 20:31
I didn't like Flight of the Eisenstein. It felt simplistic compared to the first three books, with clear-cut good and evil. After the re-telling of the Istvaan battle it felt like 40k instead of 30k.

Horus Rising was great start of the series. False gods managed to be excellent despite being part 2 of 3 (always hard to do), and Fulgrim offered a brilliant view of a legion turning. Although the focus on perfection got a bit lame in parts.

Out of curiousity; isn't Slaanesh only just born during the Horus Heresy? I'm asking, as he seems to have a big ass cult in the galaxy already, despite being aware for only 200 years or so.

Cygnusmaximus
18-12-2008, 20:53
Slaanesh had been around a lot longer than that - his/her birth was the cause for "Old Night" or the long period of warp storms that made faster than light travel impossible. And they had been going on for quite some time already, if I remember correctly.

Inquisitor Engel
18-12-2008, 21:23
OK. I've heard a lot about these. Where can I find them, anyway?

I too, cannot find them anywhere.

Torrents seem to be useless fakes and BL is out, everyone else is sold out.

Sir_Turalyon
18-12-2008, 21:53
I have soft spot for first part of Descent of Angels, as good realisation of "favorite childhood memories of Cypher / other prominent Fallen Angel" idea. But ot's probably only because I'm a shameless Fallen Angels fan.

My DA fetish aside, I do not like HH series in general, neither quality (?) of writing nor things series do to 40k fluff, and didn't read it beyond Fulgrim. From books I read Galaxy in Flames is easily the best one. Style and storyline are not overdone like in other HH books i read (which gave the impression their respective authors forgot to read them once more when done to ensure that there are no unnecessary plot elements, there is no clogged narration that could be simplified while telling the same story and there are no bland elements that could use spicing up by giving them any detail).The last stand scene is well narrated and actualy moving, unlike rest of the series which provoke no reaction beyond "well, duh". As far as HH series go, Galaxy in Flames is elegant writing.

skuller
18-12-2008, 21:58
I havent read mechanicum but so far Flight of the Eisntein and fulgrim the best, the worst has to be Dark Angels Descent of Angels.
I enjoyed the idea of Battle of the Abyss and Legion fluff wise.

Rockerfella
18-12-2008, 22:25
Loved Horus rising. Loved the second one. My fave thus far would either be 'Eisenstein' or 'Fulgrim' I think. Having said that, i've enjoyed them all apart from Descent. I've had Mechanicum for a while now, and have yet to read it due to trying to pile through the space wolf omnibus, which i'm loving.

therisnosaurus
18-12-2008, 22:39
as a fluff nut, I really liked both legion and mechanicum, as they really give you a few things that aren't anywhere else. For sheer quality of awesome-epic though, the original trilogy is hard to beat.

Templar-Sun
19-12-2008, 00:17
Fulgrim- The bomb!

Horus Rising, False gods and Galaxy in flames- Solid!

Mechanicum, Flight ote and Legion- good!

DoA, Abyss- Fair!

Am I missing any? I don't really dislike any of them. If they are about 40k I like em. My only real gripe is I wanna read about events that directly relate to the heresy and I didn't feel like I was in a few. Maybe that wasn't the point of those books. Nevertheless, Mechanicum in my mind put us right back on track. It may even jump up to number two or three in my list. I have to read it again.

I will say this tho, Rho-Mu 31 and that bada$$ assasin chick are being pieced together on my modeling table as I type this!!

Templar-Sun

P.S. Loken will return!! Oh yes, we all know it!

Inquisitor Engel
19-12-2008, 01:42
Honestly, I'm rather disappointed in 'Fulgrim' so far, it's just so slow. I don't know any of the characters, seems to emphasize the Primarchs much more than the other novels, I don't like the remembrancers thusfar and I dunno, I'm just not digging it as much as the original Trilogy.

I hope it gets better as I DO quite like Ferrus.

I can control myself when I'm reading 'Fulgrim.' I went through the first three in about a week.

Rockerfella
19-12-2008, 01:44
Yeah, Ferrus is an interesting Character. Sort of.. uber angry, but... cool. I dunoo. He's pretty difficult to describe isn't he.

DemolishedMan
19-12-2008, 02:02
P.S. Loken will return!! Oh yes, we all know it!

He has to!

His "vision" about him fighting alongside Horus and the Emperor is too good a piece of foreshadowing to pass up. :)

Templar-Sun
19-12-2008, 03:28
Ya, you said it Demoman. Engel, keep at it. I don't wanna spoil anything for you but Fulgrim has some great moments in it imho. Maybe its the "fall from grace" aspect to it... Its just really great. If I say anything more I might ruin it.

Also, If I could afford it Legio Tempestus would be in the works and If I was able to understand exactly what they were, the Knights of Taranis would be as well. What are they? A cross between a dreadnaught and an IG sentinel?
Templar-Sun

Phunting
19-12-2008, 09:01
The knights were sort of one man mini-titans used by knightly orders affiliated with the Ad Mech:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2126epicimperialknights.htm