PDA

View Full Version : Rat Dart

Blaklabel
01-12-2008, 13:21
Ok, I understand the killing their Rank idea, and it seems risky. Kind of the reason I got into rats. 50% chance of failing? High enough percentage for me! I'll do it.

Blaklabel
01-12-2008, 20:08
Can someone fully explain to me the tactics for this and why you actually use them in a line. I kind of understand the taking away flanks idea but I'm really not sure at all.

Foegnasher
01-12-2008, 20:12
Can someone fully explain to me the tactics for this and why you actually use them in a line. I kind of understand the taking away flanks idea but I'm really not sure at all.

it works by haveing 7 guys in one rank flank a unit. you charge and get two attacks. the opponent will only have a max of three attacks back and that's if you dont kill any. this way you can negate ranks while a full ranked clanrat unit goes to town in the front. in theory.

this worked a lot better when units could snake, now, it's tough to pull off because of the distance needed to wheel into the charge. also a viable way of putting a wound on a wizard.

w3rm
01-12-2008, 21:24
Tricky to pull off but it works wonders when used correctly. I suggest not deploying them in dart formation. A smart opponent might see well into this tactic and avoid the ratties.

General Squeek Squeek
02-12-2008, 02:43
Tried using this tactic in 6 different games. Its really not effective at all. If it takes any casualties before it gets to its intended target its a worthless unit. If the unit is a heavy hitter it wont work. You have to have the room to fit a 7 deep model in the flank so it can be easily avoided by even a mediocre opponent.

At one point I was an advocate for this tactic, but after witnessing its uses I feel your points could be spent far better elsewhere.

Not to mention despite how horrible it is at accomplishing anything it just makes you look like a WAAC player.

theunwantedbeing
02-12-2008, 03:27
Put the packmaster at the front of the unit.
Now only he can be killed as wounds are not carried over onto different models in the unit.
So they can only suffer a single wound at most, no matter how powerful the attacker is.

Very good vs ranked units.
You negate their rank and gain +1 for the flank attack, but then lose that +1 by losing the packmaster, your still + however many ranks they had up in the combat assuming you have a ranked unit being supported by this little rat dart.

Not overly in the "spirit" of the game though. What with packmasters tending to stay at the back of a unit well out of reach of the enemy.

General Squeek Squeek
02-12-2008, 04:01
putting the packmaster in the front takes this from being a sleazy tactic to being uber cheesy albeit still very impractical. Still lose 2 rats and your testing on ldship 5 and won't negate ranks if your opponent kills just one model.

Ward.
02-12-2008, 05:05
putting the packmaster in the front takes this from being a sleazy tactic to being uber cheesy albeit still very impractical. Still lose 2 rats and your testing on ldship 5 and won't negate ranks if your opponent kills just one model.

How could you loose 2 rats?

Also you get 7 models all up from a rat pack, but you'll only have the benefit of the rat dart for 1 turn.
So even though it's not particularly effective and for 10 points more you could be using an entire unit of slaves, if you do decide to use it do it on the turn that counts.