PDA

View Full Version : Starting an New WHFB Army, I need help from the Brain Trust!

Verchild
01-12-2008, 19:42
Here is my problem.
I'm HORRIBLY indecisive when it comes to things like this.
I had collected an Empire Army... and realized something.
I disliked how the models looked.
The idea is great, like the fluff, the Warrior Priests are a hit with me. But I need to be able to connect to my army in some way. I need to imagin I am in their place when on the field, and would want to look that way when I'm in battle.
I don't do tights. Poofy sleeves, that’s a no-go as well. Feather in my hat, "Call it macaroni!"... yeah, right.
So I have not only found myself disliking the Empire, but with more models then I know what to do with.

What is prompting me to ask this now is that when I picked up my Realm of Battle Table, my local GW store had a deal that you could get a Free gift from the "take me" table. I ended up walking out with a Orc/Gobbie Army Box ( the one with the limited edition shaman ).
I... really wasn't thinking Orcs and Goblins so was planning on selling it and picking up a new army with the proceeds.

THIS is where the brain trust comes in.

I want your Opinions on Armies.
What I should get and Why.
If you want to vent about why one army is good or bad feel free. Base your comments on both Fluff, and Game Mechanics.

Thank you for any advice you can push my way. :)

If this kind of post is unwelcome, please let me know as well.

Anton
01-12-2008, 21:06
I am afraid we need a little more background than that.

What are you drawn to? Good guys or bad guys? Do your guys fight for selfish reasons, out of fear of their master, or for a good cause? Do you like "pretty" races or monstrous types? Give us your view on the background of the different armies.

As for gameplay; do you like strong troops or a massed horde? Do you want shooting, close combat or something in between? Do you prefer cavalry or infantry?

PS. I know where you're coming from. I have had a really hard time making these decisions as well. My OCD has made it even harder, so I think there is nothing wrong with posting these kinds of threads. After all, this is the 'Fantasy General Discussion'. What better place to ask?

Verchild
01-12-2008, 22:23
I am afraid we need a little more background than that.

What are you drawn to? Good guys or bad guys? Do your guys fight for selfish reasons, out of fear of their master, or for a good cause? Do you like "pretty" races or monstrous types? Give us your view on the background of the different armies.

As for gameplay; do you like strong troops or a massed horde? Do you want shooting, close combat or something in between? Do you prefer cavalry or infantry?

PS. I know where you're coming from. I have had a really hard time making these decisions as well. My OCD has made it even harder, so I think there is nothing wrong with posting these kinds of threads. After all, this is the 'Fantasy General Discussion'. What better place to ask?

I had written a whole reply to this and of course right at the time I hit “post” the site locked up and I lost it all.
So for the sake of typing again, I will condense my thoughts on the different armies.

Empire – I like Sigmar, and I like the concept of the greatswords men. But not much else does it for me with them. The army is TOO versatile. I have to many options, and by that, I end up finding myself with no options. I like being set on a smaller path.
Dwarves – Again, love the idea, but I have problems when I don’t have the ability to move around quickly. Also, I always think they rely on guns too much. If I wanted to shoot guns, I would play my IG army 
Elves:
High Elves – They are kind of pretty… too pretty. In fact, I don’t think the term “Battle Hardened” and “Pretty” go together at all.
Dark Elves - I don’t really get into them very much. I mean I read the back story, and that’s find and dandy, but in my perception the Dark Elves, are more like the minions you fight on level 1 to get an idea how to play the game for the first time kind of minions. ( No offence to you DE players, go flay them guys!)
Wood Elves – I will admit, that ever since I watched HellBoy 2 I have been into the idea of these guys. I think it was the Elf guy in the movie. I’m a fan of the look of most of the leaders so that’s good, and I enjoy nature in general.
Chaos:
Warriors – I like the new models, and I enjoy the feel of an army that has ONE thing they do, and do Well. But at the same time, now all the chaos gods work together, and its like your Chaos Hero has now earned all 4 of his ChaosGod merit badges, and can take his horde on a Chaosy savenger hunt! I don’t think so.
Demons – They have no flavor to them, they have no real plot to them that makes me stop and be like “Wow, that cool!” Meh
Beasts – I actually have a playable Beastman army, but I didn’t build it so I don’t really have any kind of “This is my work” attachment. I should get rid of it.
Vampire Counts – I like them, I have their book out and have been paging thru. I don’t like the horse models, but the Skeleton warriors I really sharp. I’m torn on them.
Tomb Kings – Strangely, I really like their idea. I always have. But the models are TERRIBLE. Just oddly shaped and the sizes don’t look right. Just no.
Lizard men – Are also on my list of “This could be awesome”, but with the new army list coming out and models, I will hold off to make any real sold picks for them.
Skaven – My buddy plays them and I told him they are his.
Orcs – They amuse me, I will admit. I like them a bit, but at the same time. Not enough to drop everything. I’m not that big of a “horde army” fan.

I hope this helps.

lcfr
01-12-2008, 22:29
Beasts are a lot of fun and have a great look imo, but if you're going to dump them then shoot me a pm ;)

Stuffburger
01-12-2008, 22:54
Lizardmen are my primary army (my second is O&G- mostly complements of getting Skull pass and 6th ed's starter boxes on the cheap). I have to say they are one of my favorite armies out there, even after spending hours and hours playing and painting them up. I personally like the whole model line, the freedom of painting mostly skin and scale is nice compared to the metal and leather armies that only look good in one or two colors. Really get the chance to use a whole rainbow of color on your army and it won't look silly or get too much ****, with the possible exception of the pink skinks.

Mechanics-wise they are nice too, with most of the army being fast (excepting only saurus, who are average) and with nice special rules. You can rule the movement phase with an entire army of M6 or 7 guys, have walls of saurus to dominate CC, or get slann to have probably the best (and most expensive) magic phase in the game.

The fluff does it for me too- lost children of the fallen gods, etc. Very grim and gives you a good reason to be fighting just about anyone.

ZeroTwentythree
02-12-2008, 14:45
I need help from the Brain Trust!

Sorry, you've the wrong address. This is Warseer. Try next door. ;)

Dungeon_Lawyer
02-12-2008, 16:05
I think you should choose between Wood Elves and lizardmen. Incidentially you omitted Orge Kingdoms from your list. Consider them on any short list too--This is a very fun easy to paint and get going army-Gut Magic rocks.

Both Lizardmen and Wood Elves will take some time to assemble. Wood elf style of play with hit and run tactics and moving wood features and such is killer. They really are a unique army......

Embalmed
02-12-2008, 16:14
You didn't mention Ogre Kingdoms. A fun army to play, fun fluff, nice models, easy and cheap to get a reasonable force and most people who try them seem to like them.

Verchild
02-12-2008, 16:15
I think you should choose between Wood Elves and lizardmen. Incidentially you omitted Orge Kingdoms from your list. Consider them on any short list too--This is a very fun easy to paint and get going army-Gut Magic rocks.

Both Lizardmen and Wood Elves will take some time to assemble. Wood elf style of play with hit and run tactics and moving wood features and such is killer. They really are a unique army......

Thats right! I forgot about them. ( I was doing this all from memory on my second post ) Yes, They are on the list of armies that I like a bit more.
Less models to pain = Good

But I'm willing to forgo that for the time being in lue of finding something that will truly wet my whistle.

Leonathion
02-12-2008, 16:38
Beasts are good fun and they too have a whole lot of stuff coming our way right now, just wait a couple of months ;)
The rules are fun like o&g but demands some tactical approach (not saying that orcs doesn't, but theyre more portrayed as a beginners army). Try to paint a few models and get the fell, tkae a look on the armybook (take a peek at the brothersite of the imaginary buccaneer estuary, if you get my point ;)).

Perhaps it will stick. Read the armybook or at least skim through them, you seem to have an idea of the game and can probably figure out what style the different armies play at.