PDA

View Full Version : Vampires with Lore of Beasts

Sir_Lunchalot
01-12-2008, 22:26
Yup, you read it right. I'm thinking about the Killy potential of a vampire lord with lore of beasts and the following load out:

Vampire Lord upgraded to lvl 3 wizard, forbidden lore (to get Lore of Beasts) Red Fury, Lord of the Dead, Cadaverous Cuirass, Crown of the Damned, Book of Arkhan, Talisman of the Lycni.
450 pts

we've got a wizard who generates 3 power dice on her own, and knows every spell from Lore of Beasts. If she uses both of the army's power dice, she becomes a very versatile caster, able to whittle down the enemy with magic missiles, take out big things with a magic bolt thrower, or simply confuse and annoy cavalry. And the Bear's Anger turns her into a MONSTER in combat, 7 S7 attacks and T6! And she's still able to cast Invocation, so if needed she can spam invocation on the unit around her, or heal wounds she's lost. Bear's Anger is even better when combined with Red fury. Cadaverous Cuirass is really only there for the KB immunity, but I'm thinking about replacing it and the Talisman of the Lycni with the Flayed Hauberk.

I know it's expensive for one character, but then again I also play Chaos so I'm used to it...

AngryAngel
02-12-2008, 02:14
I'm a VC player myself, but can the vamp still cast the invocation if Bears Anger is active ? It's a remains in play and I thought you couldn't cast other magic if that was still active ? I'm just curious and relatively speaking new to fantasy so I'm wondering.

Btw, the bears anger is a cool idea, and I have thought of it myself. For I'd love to explode onto a unit saying my vampire is "Strong, like russian bear!"

The_Dragon_Rising
02-12-2008, 08:17
I'm a VC player myself, but can the vamp still cast the invocation if Bears Anger is active ? It's a remains in play and I thought you couldn't cast other magic if that was still active ? I'm just curious and relatively speaking new to fantasy so I'm wondering.

That is correct however for a spell as easy to cast as bears and with 5 dice avaliable just cast invocation 4 times then recast bears.

backslide
02-12-2008, 09:00
I have used a lvl1 vamp with forbiden lore using beasts for bears anger and beast cowers, works well, also give him the helm of command so he can cast bears anger on a skele champion nad they can use his weapon skill

the_picto
02-12-2008, 11:13
See also Flaming Sword. 5 flaming S8 attacks that aways hit on a 2+. Plus all the other 5 fire spells are useful whereas oxen stands is a complete waste for a vampire army.

VC Doke
02-12-2008, 11:52
Its a great combo. I've used it as a certified juggernaut of destruction.

fubukii
02-12-2008, 12:20
while oxen stands may not be a good spell, beast cowers is a game winning spell, as vampire counts normally have trouble dealing with large flying monsters

Jedi152
02-12-2008, 12:32
I wondered about bear's anger. 7 WS7 S7 attacks can hurt, and you can easily make sure it's the last spell you cast after all of your invocations.

As the picto says, lore of fire is tempting for flaming sword of rhuin.

loveless
02-12-2008, 13:26
Lore of Fire is tempting in general. Can you choose a Vampire's Forbidden Lore every game, or are you supposed to choose the Lore when you create the list? I'm not sure what the standard is in that respect, as I've typically ran lists with no Wizards (Priest-heavy Empire) or ones where there's no real option (Skaven, old VC (always used Necromancy)). If you can choose whenever, surely you'd know if you really needed Beast Cowers for the battle, and could choose Lore of Beasts accordingly.

backslide
03-12-2008, 03:31
choose a lore before the game starts, I do it all the time with my high elves

Sir_Lunchalot
03-12-2008, 03:43
Yes I know a couple of the spells are completely useless in a vampire army, but remember, the power gives you ALL the spells. I mean, if you somehow get bored spamming invocation of Nehek, you've got a pair of magic missiles and some spells that, depending on the enemy's army, can really ruin his day.

Jedi152
03-12-2008, 07:19
For the Watchman tournament last year you were allowed to choose between games. No idea about the Grand Tournaments.

Very useful, i suspect lore of metal is a no brainer against chaos and bretonnians, as is lore of light against daemons.