PDA

View Full Version : Tag team. What 2 armies?

sandpeople
02-12-2008, 11:49
In january we have this tag team tournament here in Sweden. I and my friend are playing, but havenīt decided what 2 armies.

The rules are a follows:

1000pts per player, no more.
No bonuses can be trafered between the armies (bsb, generals Ld...)
Disadvantages affects both armies (panic...)
Any 2 armies can be teamed up.

No restrictions other than the normal stuff (3 hero-choices, 2 core minimum..)

My guess is that the DE/WoC builds that are coming, are going to go with ring of Hoeth and infernal puppet.

So what 2 armies would you team up?

xacatecas
02-12-2008, 14:26
DE/new lizard monster mash

manticore
2 hydras

carnosaur or whatever the new one is for heroes
2 stegadons

the DE hugely benefit from the skink screen for their elite units and you force a LOT of terror tests!

skank
02-12-2008, 14:45
One army to bring the firepower and junk/bait units - Skaven

The other to bring the CC prowess and unbreakable(ish)ness - Daemons

Guy Fawkes
02-12-2008, 20:58
I'm not sure, but there a lot of powerful options.

6 Wizards in 2k would make anyone wet their pants. VC/HE/WoC/TK/Skaven/DE can all certainly be intimidating in the magic phase.

I expect a very powerful combination would be a combination of an uber-unit army, with an army that has lots of static combat units and support units. Daemons of Chaos have some of the best fighters available, but T3, 5+ save makes them annoyingly vulnerable. However, with a large block of expendable troops (Empire Free Company, Archers, Skaven Slaves, Night Goblins, Zombies, etc...) that advance in front and take the hits, you can make combat with 1500+ points of powerful blocks and support units (Wolf Riders, Dire Wolves, Dark Riders, etc...).

I feel personally though, that DE will be one of the teams in many of the most competitive lists. I think that DE have one of the most complete lists (Shooters, Combat Troops, Good Fighter/Wizard characters, cheap units, Warmachines, Monsters, Fast Cavalry, Hard Cavalry, etc...) and a lot of synergy with other lists - possibly more than any other army in the game right now. Also, they are "generalists" in my view in that they can really excel at any phase or be decently good in all of them. This helps cover the weaknesses of any other army.

In fact, I'll post up some competitive lists I've thought of in this thread in a few hours, but I need to go now, so you'll have to wait a bit. :D

Mazdug
02-12-2008, 21:55
In previous games of this sort, I have found that dwarves + brettonians can be pretty formidable (not that it has come up recently), Dwarves make an excellent anvil and force the other person to confront them, Brets counter charge on the flanks and use vile pegasi to slow up the opponents so they spend more turns getting shot.

W0lf
02-12-2008, 23:25
Skaven with 3 warlock engineers, Jezzails, some PWG and clan rats.
Vampires with raising vampires and skellies.

Something like that.

PopeAlexanderVI
02-12-2008, 23:28
Skaven horde and Daemons.

AMWOOD co
03-12-2008, 01:40
Night goblins plus an artillery line (Dwarfs or Empire). Greenskin bolt throwers can act as can openers for cavalry (6 of them for less than 300 pts) while cannons act as monster killers and snipers. Fanatics protect you from hand to hand attacks. Kill half the enemy before they meet you and clean up with fully ranked gobbos and some Orc characters. Done deal.

Dageo
03-12-2008, 02:09
Orcs and Goblins + Orcs and Goblins.
You can have 12 spear chukkas for under 500 points with the rest spent on goblin shaman and fanatics.

Ogre Kingdoms + Tomb Kings would be an interesting mix with a horrendous number of impact hits.

Surgency
03-12-2008, 02:31
Orcs and dwarves. Because it's funny.

Actually, i've done a team-up game of Dwarves and VC. It's surprisingly effective. Of course, the tourney director had ruled that dwarves generate power dice in the manner of normal wizards of their rank (4 for lords, 2 for smiths) and that certainly helped out the Black Coach.

sandpeople
03-12-2008, 04:13
I think it is safe to say that we are not going to go magic-heavy (but it would be fun i one of us played daemons and fielded one unit of 30 horrors with herald and one unit of 20 horrors with herald).

So perhaps skaven for cheap ranked units, screens and shooting along with WoC or Daemons.

DeathlessDraich
03-12-2008, 10:27
Skaven and Daemons is good.

I would suggest:

1) VC and Daemons
2) Dwarves and Daemons
etc

However since it is only 1000 pts per army, then armies which do well at 1000 pts are would fare the best:

A) MSU Ogres and Skaven Skryre
B) Brets - all knights and Ogres MSU - super fast
C) Brets and Skryre

Grunge
03-12-2008, 10:54
Bretonnian lance of doom plus Dwarven Ironbreakers. Throw in Pegasus and warmachines at will.

W0lf
03-12-2008, 12:23
I changed my mind.

Defo skaven and bretts.

Take jezzails and a warplightning cannon to deal with the stuff bretts struggle against and slaves/PWG to divert. Obv with 3 warlocks.

Then as many units of 9 lances as you can with min character points spent.

Mozzamanx
03-12-2008, 12:31
Vampires and Skaven seem game breakingly awesome as a team.

Full complement of magic on the Vamps, including 6 Power Stones. Raise a big 'ole wall of Zombies with 10+ castings of Raise Dead/Invocation, to choke the midfield with corpses. Then just fire into combat with Jezzails and Globadiers, while healing back the Zombies. No lasting damage to you, very limited movement for the enemy, and just ripping them to bits with firepower.

skank
03-12-2008, 14:05
That would be horrible but could he fire on the zombies with rats?

sandpeople
04-12-2008, 07:01
No, you canīt fire in units from the other friendly army.

A dwarf boltthtower line could also be nasty.

Djekar
04-12-2008, 07:43
Orcs and Goblins + Orcs and Goblins.
You can have 12 spear chukkas for under 500 points with the rest spent on goblin shaman and fanatics.

I second this motion. Plus (although I know you said 1k, I can't help but think this) double skarsnik would be the sex in this list. 1/3 chance to have a unit start off the board, double the amount of S6 shots from his prodder coupled with 12 spears and a bucketload of fanatics and little waaagh! spells? Sign me up.

goodz
04-12-2008, 07:58
umm so must you make 2 standard 1000 point armys so some examples that people listed such as 2 hydras in a DE army wouldn't be allowed?

if so i would take 1000 points of dwarf war machines and 2 units of thunderers

then

1000 poitns of orc war machines and 2 units of night gobbos with some fanatics:P

all war machines ftw?:P

Mozzamanx
04-12-2008, 13:56
Rulepack for Glory II says that Skaven can fire into any combat, even one's with allies.

DeathlessDraich
04-12-2008, 15:27
I normally run 6 Boltthrowers in my O&G army.

It sounds a bit better than it performs - luck is important. Performance could be spectacular or terrible in the important early rounds for shooting.

12 Boltthrowers - using up all Special slots will be a waste.

But don't take my advice on this - O&G is my worst army defeating Daemons once while losing about 3 or more.:D

ZeroTwentythree
04-12-2008, 16:19
Vampires and Skaven seem game breakingly awesome as a team.

Full complement of magic on the Vamps, including 6 Power Stones. Raise a big 'ole wall of Zombies with 10+ castings of Raise Dead/Invocation, to choke the midfield with corpses. Then just fire into combat with Jezzails and Globadiers, while healing back the Zombies. No lasting damage to you, very limited movement for the enemy, and just ripping them to bits with firepower.

I was in a team tournament as the skaven half of the team, my team-mate was using the (old) VC. The other bonus was that he had a decent combat character as well. I didn't go overboard with the shooting, so the firing into combats & raising casualties only came up at a few key times. We did pretty well and were one of the top two teams competing in the final round.

No, you canīt fire in units from the other friendly army.

Skaven are an exception to this rule, per the skaven army book.

Drakcore Bloodtear
04-12-2008, 16:58
Dwarfs as a gunline,a super tough and mega dispellar plus O&G with combat crazy troops,offencive magic and a big throw away army to play with with then two armys together a gunline a throw away beaty units great

But another more competative mix is dwarfs and WoC they have the same tatics as the O&G mix but with less throw away units

Although i'd prefer the dwarf and O&G mix :D

sandpeople
09-12-2008, 10:45
Skaven are an exception to this rule, per the skaven army book.

No the tournament rules say that they cannot shot at frinedly units from the other friendly army, even if they are also skaven.

We were thinking of goinf with WoC and skaven in the tournament.