PDA

View Full Version : Tank Battles...

Syaped
24-11-2005, 03:40
Detailed rules for playing tank vs tank battles in the 41st Millenium. Using Epic scale minis to allow for semi realistic or at least managable ranges. Or 40k scale models and a parking lot.

Whos with me? :D

starlight
24-11-2005, 03:46
I'd give it a go, however I don't currently have Tanks to Battle with.:(

My Armoured Company is fairly far down the list for me.:(

Griefbringer
24-11-2005, 09:57
What rules are you going to base it on? Late RT had a rather detailed targeting diagram system, and the 2nd edition rules also have quite a plenty of detail though could use streamlining. Or are you going to just take 3rd edition and add in more detail?

Then there is the Space Marine 1st edition rules, with more detail than in the later versions of Epic.

Persephone
24-11-2005, 11:46
I loved the 2nd edition targeting system! I still have the vehicle templates and clear targeting template.

Dodgy Ed
24-11-2005, 11:59
Pah epic scale minis

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/Dodgy_Ed/Tanks_0281.jpg

Yes I acknowledge I may be something of a treadhead, but in all honesty if you want to tank battles in the 41st millenium using epic miniatures, just play epic.

otoh I love the idea of a set of 40K scale armoured battlegroup rules.

danny842003
24-11-2005, 18:27
always wanted an armoured company 3 minis before there actually any minis on the table not bad :)

Getz
24-11-2005, 21:20
Nothing springs to mind immediately, but this if definately an interesting idea, so go with it and I'm sure I'll think of something to contribute...

Griefbringer
24-11-2005, 21:55
but in all honesty if you want to tank battles in the 41st millenium using epic miniatures, just play epic

I think the point was to have more detail than there is to be found in Epic (though the 1st edition vehicle rules would be a bit more detailed than the current ones), and that the Epic scale models would make it easier to fit the conflict to table of limited size (instead of needing the whole room).

Syaped
24-11-2005, 22:06
I was thinking along the lines of converting some simulator level detail WW2 tank combat ruleset to 40k. Things like angle of impact, realistic damage, crews....

There ARE some hardcore WW2 tank rulesets out there right? :P

Griefbringer
24-11-2005, 22:59
If you want to go really into detail, you might want to try modding a computer game - less painful than doing all the calculations by hand. I would recommend taking a look at Steel Panthers: World at War or Steel Panthers: Main Battle Tank (both available for free and great games).

blitz589
24-11-2005, 23:09
Pah epic scale minis

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/Dodgy_Ed/Tanks_0281.jpg

Yes I acknowledge I may be something of a treadhead, but in all honesty if you want to tank battles in the 41st millenium using epic miniatures, just play epic.

otoh I love the idea of a set of 40K scale armoured battlegroup rules.
You have to much money.

Syaped
24-11-2005, 23:29
Modding a computer game is a good idea. Although I have a feeling it would be alot of work. And I'm not sure how easy to edit those games you mentioned are, and they are pretty much the only tank sims.

Besides I'm modding Quake4 already :D

http://www.syaped.com/Misc/Term.jpg

Griefbringer
25-11-2005, 12:09
At least Steel Panthers: World at War comes with a pretty decent unit editor that should go a long way.

Of course the system cannot cater to some troop types, such as walkers and power armour, but as long as you stick to tracked and wheeled vehicles it should work fine - skimmers might be represented by helicopters.

Dodgy Ed
25-11-2005, 12:15
@Griefbringer, if you read the rest of my post you'll see I'm actually in favour of a more advanced armour ruleset, it's just I feel that it should be done with 40K scale tanks.

@Blitz, no not any more I don't :p and almost all of them were second hand and cost me less than a fiver a go, except the super heavies.

Griefbringer
25-11-2005, 12:49
@Griefbringer, if you read the rest of my post you'll see I'm actually in favour of a more advanced armour ruleset, it's just I feel that it should be done with 40K scale tanks.

Well, the system could be made to work with both scales - all you really need to do is to divide/multiply all the distance with a suitable value (say 5).

Commissar von Toussaint
26-11-2005, 18:29
If it comes down to miniatures, look to some of the modern stuff and just do coversions. There is always Dirtside.

Puffin Magician
27-11-2005, 15:25
It's not really a tabletop wargame if you're playing it on a computer. DoW is DoW. 40k is 40k.

All you really need to do is to multiply all the distances with a suitable value (say 5).
Well a 360" Battlecannon seems a bit unwieldy. Maybe movement ×2 and weapon ranges ×3?

Sponson & hull mounts targetting independently would be another must IMO, and maybe reintroduce the 2nd Edition Damage Tables, but other than that the 40k rules are satisfactory for me; just need to take lots of Force Charts [9-12 for an entire Armoured Regiment].

Griefbringer
30-11-2005, 09:52
Well a 360" Battlecannon seems a bit unwieldy. Maybe movement 2 and weapon ranges 3?

I meant about the Epic scale model version to 40K model version conversion: multiply all the ranges by five (since the 40K models are approximately five times the lenght of epic equivalents).

All distances (including unit coherency or command ranges if such are used) should be multiplied by the same value, to keep everything in proportions - using different multipliers for shooting and ranges would make things work differently.

Speaking of ranges, it might be good to introduce some range modifiers, or lowering of the penetration capability at long ranges - lessens the usefulness of sitting immobile at the maximum range and pounding enemy (though that would be again a feature of a battlefield lacking in terrain).