PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Warriors at 3000

AMWOOD co
04-12-2008, 17:17
Okay. The new list doesn't give me my old army, so I've adopted my really old army once again. The basis of it is a Hammer and Anvil tactic, except the anvil moves.

Sorceror Lord of Tzeentch
lvl 4, Bloodskull Pendant, Collar of Khorne, Enchanted Shield, Spell Familiar, Diabolic Splendour

Daemon Prince of Tzeetnch
lvl 4 wizard, Word of Agony, Soporific Musk, Fury of the Blood God

Exalted Hero of Tzeetnch
Battle standard, halberd, shield, Banner of the Gods

25 Marauders of Slaanesh
full command, flails

25 Marauders of Slaanesh
full command, flails

12 Chaos Warriors of Tzeetnch
full command, halberd, shield

5 Marauder Horsemen
full command, light armour, flails

10 Chosen of Tzeentch
full command, great weapons, shields, Blasted Stanard

6 Chaos Knights
full command, lances, Banner of Rage

Chaos Chariot

Chaos Chariot

Chaos Warshrine of Tzeentch

Total: 2998

The Daemon Prince, Knights and Marauders will assault one flank. The Marauders and halberd wielding warriors are the anvil (the BSB goes in the centre unit of that formation) and stay close together. The Chosen accompany the Sorceror Lord (my general) and are designated as knight slayers (Usually Empire knights, sometimes coldone riders from either army with them). The chariots will be placed in support positions wherever I feel I need them, and I'm not sure what to do with the Warshrine yet.

Magic is heavy on offence; defence is left to the dice (I just know someone is going to say take scrolls...). I will be targetting enemy wizards either with my warriors or the Daemon Prince.

Unconcerned with casualties in the marauders, the warriors might be problematic. I'm also wondering if I should make the warriors make the Mark of Slaanesh instead.

Also of note is that this is going to be a 2 vs. 2 battle in all likelyhood. The other team will be Dwarfs, Ogres, and either Empire or Lizardmen. Pairings are rolled off after everyone has their armies ready. That's just the way we do things.

Opinions?

grhino
04-12-2008, 21:01
I actually really like this list. It has a lot of potential. Great idea to have slaanesh flail wielding marauders in large numbers. They are quite reliable before they are in combat, and once in combat they are very much a threat to any enemy that does not manage to kill them first. Especially with characters in the units.

Make sure you don't give enemy cannons targets that are too temptive, and if you do, reveal them all at once and destroy the cannons in the next turn. Personally, I'd not even bother to give marauders full command. Just a musician to allow fast-cav tactics.

Think you may be a bit vulnerable to shooting and possibly even agressive and massed magic with this list, but you do have some things that can deal with this.

I also like the fact that you included a Deamon Prince. Have not seen those since release of the book. Looking forward to the release of the new model, then my army might see one as well.

goodz
04-12-2008, 21:35
you put basically 1000 points in magic but only have 10 power dice and 6 dispel dice,

i like deamon princes but i feel it is to costly to be effective.

If you end up against a Dwarf/Empire combo gunline you could be in big trouble especially if the dwarf player brings an anvil, this would give him minimum 7 dispel dice.

should be fun tho :D

I like giant battles despite always feeling a tad drained by the end

good luck

AMWOOD co
05-12-2008, 16:33
you put basically 1000 points in magic but only have 10 power dice and 6 dispel dice

I appreciate the Good Luck, but this concerns me. Did you or did you not notice that my wizards can do more than cast spells? Almost any 1 wound model confronting my sorceror lord is dead (auto S8 hit in combat with killing blow), and he will have a 1+ armour save in said combat in addition to a 5+ ward. My daemon prince has killed Volkmar and held a unit of inner circle knights on his own using the 'Get You By' list. I may have spent almost 1000 points on wizards, but the statlines tell you that they are also fighters. Do people see Archaon and say 'That's really expensive for just a lvl 2 wizard,' or do they notice the 10 attacks that ignore armour?

I'm sorry if it seems I'm being a tad offensive, perhaps I am, but the comment about the cost of my mages seems shortighted. Afterall, If I face an army with a terrifying amount of magic defence, my two spellcasters are just as happy decorating the battlefield with blood as they are with spells. (Can you tell I really liked the old Tzeentch Mark from Hordes?)

Jmznudd
06-12-2008, 08:44
Looks like a good list but I would, at the very least, change the Chaos warriors to either Khorne or Slaanesh. Tzeentch just isn't going to do anything for them.

If you're going to face a gun line, you should really have some puppies. Here are some recommendations:

Drop the Daemon prince and take 2 x Exalted sorcerors. Kit them out with Infernal puppet and skull of katam. That should give you the same amount of power dice, more offense spell capability (ie more magic missiles) and same number of dispel dice. It will also give you about 130 pts left over (ish).

Take those points and do the following:

1. Mark your knights with Nurgle. That gives them a little protection against gunlines.
2. Buy 3 units of 5 warhounds. Use em to screen your knights, warriors, and chosen.

I run a similar list to yours, with a couple of exceptions.

A couple of other suggestions:

-give your sorceror lord conjoined homonoculus and drop diabolic splendor. Also, drop the enchanted shield and put him on a barded steed. Its the same save, and he can move faster. If you can squeeze the points, put him on a disc. But at the very least, the horse.

I'm not a big fan of the Banner of the Gods on the BSB. IMHO a non-magical banner is better. That will allow you to take a Demon sword or aether sword for some butt kicking. Put him on a barded steed, and he's 2+ AS (1+AS with a shield). So he'll last longer, and contribute more to the fight. Especially since chaos characters now have to challenge.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck

Jmz