PDA

View Full Version : Very simple solution to the "Medium Magic Problem"

Trunks
24-11-2005, 04:46
There could be some flaws with this, but I thought I'd throw it out here.

On the whole, the magic system works very nicely. The big complaint is the power of mid level magic.

There is a very strong possibility that Wizards will not be allowed to act as batteries in 7th edition when it comes to casting. That is, three level 2's will not be allowed to give their power dice to a level 4.

Why not go the whole way with this concept? Why not disallow Wizards from being a battery for dispelling as well?

A wizard would have access to the dice he generates, and then the army dice. Low level wizards wouldn't have a good chance of stopping a high level wizard (they would have to use the army dice to pull it off, meaning they get one shot at it).

The enemy couldn't have all of their wizards gang up on your one wizard for dispelling (I've always found this to be goofy conceptually anyway). Mid level magic would have a chance at least.

One level 1 is still going to get shut down by the enemy level 4, which makes sense.

2 level 2's would at least have a chance against 10 levels of magic (3 level 2's and a level 4). Assuming the level 2's each use 3 dice to cast spells (which would get rid of all dice in the pool), the enemy could at most throw four dice against each spell (baring any magic items). This would be much better than the 6 that enemies would be throwing at you. Your chances are lower, but at least you have a chance (unlike now where you have to rely on extreme luck).

Dwarves would use this method of dispelling with their runepriests as well, but they have the four basic dice to spread around.

The only army that makes things difficult is a Khorne army or a Lizardman army with that Mark that makes dispel dice (I don't know lizardmen specifics so well). I don't even know that this is a problem though, magic has always been hard to cast against these armies.

I'm sure there are some flaws with this. I like it though.

Avian
24-11-2005, 09:50
Why not go the whole way with this concept? Why not disallow Wizards from being a battery for dispelling as well?
That would mean that a medium magic army has some real problems dispelling high-powered magic (they cast with four dice, you can use max. three to dispel), making dispel scrolls even more essential.

Try again! :p

Gorbad Ironclaw
24-11-2005, 10:01
As Avian said, it leaves large problem with dispelling spells cast by high level wizards. It will certainly see more magic being cast, but I think it will just result in an overall increase of magic power, and not really benefit the mid level very much.

Avian
24-11-2005, 10:08
I made this suggestion in another thread (http://www.warseer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11159&page=18)
Without going into any details, I think that changes too much for it to be workable within a 7th edition context.

Avian
24-11-2005, 12:02
You'd need to do quite a lot of work. Basically every spell and every magic item or ability that affects spellcasting would have to be looked at and re-written to take into account the changes done to the magic phase.

So you'd have to redo all the army books at one and then you'd be stuck with a magic system you'll have no idea if works or not.
Not a good idea...