PDA

View Full Version : Nagash

wormyguy
05-12-2008, 15:09
I've been working on rules for Nagash, but he still clocks in at 900 points or so, despite serious toning down from the fluff.

Nagash - Lord of the Dead - 950 points

M: 4 WS: 6 BS: 4 S: 5 T: 5(6) W: 5 A: 3 I: 4 LD: 10

Army composition: Nagash counts as a lord choice. In addition, his power is so great that he may only be taken at or above 2500 points. Nagash is always Army General.

Equipment: Wailing Death, The Sceptre, Crown of Rot, Cloak of Shadows

Magic: Nagash is a level 4 wizard. He always knows every spell from the Lore of the Vampires (he invented them, after all!). In addition, he may roll for spells as normal on ONE of the following lores: Beasts, Dark Magic, Death, Fire, Heavens, Metal, Shadows or any of the Lores of Chaos. He may use any necromantic spells, in addition to any spells from his additional chosen lore. Instead of choosing an additional lore, Nagash may choose to know Nehekharan incantations. Before each of your turns, inform your opponent whether Nagash shall use the Lore of the Vampires or Nehekharan incantantations in his magic phase. If he chooses the Lore of the Vampires, he casts spells from it as a normal level 4 wizard. If he chooses Nehekharan incantations, he may use them in the same manner as a Liche High Priest. He produces no power dice this magic phase, nor is he able to cast any necromantic spells, but generates dispel dice as a normal level 4 wizard.

Special Rules:

Lord of Undeath:

Nagash counts as a vampire for purposes of marching etc. However, he is not actually a vampire, and so any magic weapons/special abilities etc. that apply to vampires have no additional effect on him.

The Embodiment of Terror:

The hideous visage and soul-bending shrieks that surround Nagash are so horrific that no living being can look upon him without the utmost horror and fright.

Nagash causes terror. All units taking a psychology test (though not a break test) directly caused by Nagash or a unit he accompanies suffers a -1 to LD penalty for that test.

Dark Winds:

Nagash creates a rift in the winds of magic that subjects wizards to visions that display his dark desires in monstrous detail. Their minds are clouded, and they become careless in their chanting.

Enemy wizards who miscast suffer a -1 to their rolls on the miscast table.

The Master Liche:

Nagash's mastery of the winds of magic, especially the darkest arts, is unrivalled.

Nagash may not miscast using the Lore of the Vampires. The spell is cast at the power level rolled.

If Nagash rolls a miscast using one of the following lores: Dark Magic, Death, Shadows, the spell is not cast, but he does not roll on the miscast table

Equipment:

Wailing Death (magic weapon):

Nagash's sword, forged in the deepest pits of Nagashizzar, contains the wailing souls of all it has slain. Only the strongest of wills can overcome its malevolent aura. Each time a new soul is added, it grows ever lighter in the Great Necromancers hand, as the trapped souls helplessly strain toward the heavens.

If Nagash or the unit he accompanies causes one or more casualties in close combat, the enemy unit in question must take an immediate panic test. In addition, every time the sword kills a model, Nagash gains an additional attack for the rest of the game, to a maximum of 8.

The Sceptre (talisman):

An obsidian icon of rulership from Ancient Khemri, magical energy and powerful curses run through it, channeling Nagash's power.

+1 to dispel. If Nagash successfully makes a ward save (from the Crown of Rot), one random model in the unit which caused the hit takes a wound that cannot be armor saved (distribute as a shooting hit).

Crown of Rot (enchanted item):

A parody of the crown of the ancient kings of Khemri, this twisted mass of sinew and bone has a strong protective energy.

4+ ward save.

Cloak of Shadows (enchanted item)

Nagash's body is neither corporeal nor ethereal, resembling a fluttering, tattlered cloak, moving at great speed and incredibly resilient.

+1T. Nagash can fly, and may also move as though he is ethereal. This magic item cannot be destroyed, though its effects can be negated.

Additional Special Rule

King of the Undead:

Where he conducts his great campaigns, Nagash creates a mockery of the army that he led from Ancient Khemri. In his spite, he has not forgiven the vampires for their betrayal

An army led by Nagash uses the normal Vampire Counts rules for undead. Characters from the Vampire Counts list may use Vampire Counts or common magic items, and may be equipped as in the Vampire Counts list, while characters from the Tomb Kings list may only use common magic items, and be equipped as in the Tomb Kings list. Other entries are exactly as they appear in their respective army books. Tomb Kings units may only use common magic banners.

It uses this list, no units not listed here may be used in addition:

Lords:

1 Nagash

Master Necromancer:

M: 4 WS: 4 BS: 3 : S: 3 T: 3 I: 4 W: 3

Magic: A master necromancer is a level 3 wizard.
He may use the Lore of the Vampires, the Lore of Death, or the Lore of Shadows. He rolls for spells in the Lore of the Vampires as through he is a vampire.

He may be upgraded to a level 4 wizard for 35 pts.

He may take up to 100 points of Vampire Counts or common magic items.

He may be mounted on a barded nightmare (+20 pts), a winged nightmare (+50 pts), a Corpse Cart (+75 pts) an Abyssal Terror (+175 pts), or a Zombie Dragon (+300 pts). A Zombie Dragon uses an additional hero choice.

Liche High Priest

(as in WA: Tomb Kings. May not take a Casket of Souls. Hieratic hierarchy does not apply)

Heroes:

Necromancer (may take 1 as a special choice, rather than a hero. He still counts as a character, however.)

(as in WA: Vampire Counts)

Liche Priest

(as in WA: Tomb Kings. May not take a Casket of Souls. Hieratic hierarchy does not apply)

Wight King

Core:

Skeleton Warriors

(as in WA: Tomb Kings. Base cost is 7, rather than 8 pts, due to no asp guided arrows.)

Zombies

Corpse Cart

Bat Swarm

Special:

Grave Guard

Black Knights

Fell Bats

Chariots

(as in WA: Tomb Kings)

Spirit Hosts

Rare:

Cairn Wraiths & Banshees

Screaming Skull Catapult

(as in WA: Tomb Kings)

Is all this too much? I obviously haven't playtested him.

Son of Sanguinius
05-12-2008, 15:45
Nice work. I have a couple suggestions, which I will highlight in bold.

Nagash - Lord of the Dead - 740 points

M: 6 WS: 6 BS: 4 S: 5 T: 5 W: 4 A: 3 I: 6 LD: 10

Equipment: Wailing Death, The Sceptre, Crown of Rot, Cloak of Shadows

Magic: Nagash is a level 4 wizard. He always knows every spell from the Lore of the Vampires. In addition, he knows all spells from the Lore of Shadows and the Lore of Death.

(I don't see how he would know the other Lores, especially ones like Life, Light, or the Chaos Lores. Those are of particular anathema to him.)

Special Rules:

The Embodiment of Terror:

The hideous visage and soul-bending shrieks that surround Nagash are so horrific that no living being can look upon him without the utmost horror and fright.

Nagash causes terror. All units taking a psychology test (though not a break test) directly caused by Nagash or a unit he accompanies suffers a -1 to LD penalty for that test.

(Took out the Dark Winds rule. I know what you are trying to do, but I see it as unnecessary.)

The Master Liche:

Nagash's mastery of the winds of magic, especially the darkest arts, is unrivalled.

Nagash does not roll on the miscast table. Any casting roll that would have resulted in a miscast simply fails.

(Nagash was immune to the predations of the warp, as his soul had no real connection to it. It seems you understand that, so I just wanted to simplify the rule.)

Lord of Undeath:

If Nagash is included in the army, he counts as its Vampire and must be the army general. All friendly Undead units within 12" of Nagash count as being within range of a Battle Standard. Undead units may not strike blows against Nagash in close combat.

(Just to make him more valuable to his armies).

Equipment:

Black Runeblade (magic weapon):

Magical hand weapon. This weapon has poisoned attacks that always wound on a roll of 4+ to hit. Any unsaved wound is multiplied into D3 wounds.

(I must say that your weapon is much more characterful than my version here, but Nagash's blade is said to have poisoned Sigmar and almost killed him, so I tried to make something along those lines).

The Sceptre (talisman):

An obsidian icon of rulership from Ancient Khemri, magical energy and powerful curses run through it, channeling Nagash's power/

+1 to dispel. If Nagash successfully makes a ward save, one random model in the unit which caused the hit takes a wound that cannot be armor saved (distribute as a shooting hit).

(^nice)

Crown of Sorcery (enchanted item):

Nagash generates an additional Power dice and Dispel dice for himself in the respective magic phases.

(The Crown of Sorcery is an established property of Nagash)

Cloak of Shadows (enchanted item)

Nagash may choose to count as Ethereal for the turn.

(By giving him the Lore of Shadows and therefore Steed of Shadows, I think giving him Fly would be redundant. Also, it seems strange to me that a cloak would make him tougher.)

Overall, you did a really good job. Congrats.

wormyguy
05-12-2008, 17:03
Son of Sanguinius:

Points drop might be good, he originally had a few more special abilities which I took out without dropping the points.

Not sure about M: 6, Nagash himself is not a vampire, as he prepared a perfect Elixir of Life for himself, not the imperfect elixir that Neferata prepared, giving her and her progeny the various blessings and curses of the vampires.

Thought about doing magic the way you described. Might be easier. He already can't take life or light. We know he knows necromantic magic, death, and shadow magic, as well as Nehekharan incantations (having been the high priest in Khemri), and Dark Magic, having learned much of his early knowledge from a captured Dark Elf sorceress. He also is described as having summoned greater daemons, so he probably knows chaos magic pretty well too. But it might just be simpler to give him necromancy, death, and shadows and be done with it.

Dark winds is not necessary, but I think that something should be in there to point out how disturbing an individual like Nagash's warp presence would be to a wizard. Maybe -1 to cast?

I made him count as a vampire for marching purposes (clarification).

I like the magic weapon I used - Nagash has been killed/vanquished at least 4 times, needing to regain his corporeal form each time, so he has probably wielded at least 5 weapons.

I might give him the Crown of Sorcery and make the ward save the "Black Gem of Nagash" or something.

I thought making him ethereal would be overkill. The cloak of shadows isn't so much as a garment as a description of the physical properties of his "body," his soul animating his burial shrouds, as most of his body has long since rotted away. Thus, he is nearly indestructible (and T6). A direct hit from a cannonball or two will still probably kill him, though, so it's not as bad as it sounds. If he automatically has the Lore of Shadows, then yes, flight would be overkill.

Thanks for the insight!

Son of Sanguinius
05-12-2008, 20:07
Thanks for the clarification. Everything you said there sounds good to me, except for the part about him using the Khemrian incantations. The Incantations as they were used in life for the Nehekarans were spells fueled by the gods. In undeath I'm sure they tap into necromantic power, but its the same result from a different source. Real necromancy is stronger, and I would think Nagash considers himself above such trivial incantations when he can just bend dark magic to hit will. Otherwise, that's one scary damn character you've devised, quite befitting the Lord of Undeath.

There is another thread in this subforum concerning Legendary Battles Characters. I posted my version of Aenarion there if you'd like to check it out, and I think Nagash would fit nicely in there.

Count Demandred
06-12-2008, 06:00
Some nice ideas there mate.

As for the weapons/armour that we talked about in the other thread - I suppose it comes down to what time frame this Nagash is from, if his original stuff really was lost after his battle against Sigmar. He never fought Magnus though.

But with the old rules and in the old books he always had his Black Armour of Nagash and Mortis, the Great Blade of Death. I suppose we may find out when the new Nagash books are released. Hopefully someone can clarify for us.