PDA

View Full Version : Where is the centre of a skirmish unit?

skank
05-12-2008, 16:47
This is in regard to when a skirmish unit flees a charge, when the charger pivots so the centre of his unit has to face the centre of yours.

Does he have to aim for the centre of the area your skirmishers occupy? (say if your shades occupied an area 6 inches across he would line up to the point 3 inches across)
Or does he aim for the centre model in the unit as per ranked units? (say if there was a line of shades with a cluster at one end you would head more in that direction).

Maybe you just draw the line of pursuit through the closest skirmisher?

Cheers

Shamfrit
05-12-2008, 16:49
We do it thusly, align the centre of your unit with the closest skirmisher (as you would a charge), and resolve it like that.

Atrahasis
05-12-2008, 16:50
Check the FAQ - charges against skirmishers are through the closest visible skirmisher, not the centre of the unit.

Note also that when a unit flees a charge, the charger does not "pivot" - the charging unit must wheel as normal, with all the normal costs (unless it is a single model).

skank
05-12-2008, 17:13
Ah, good to know. Thanks

stripsteak
05-12-2008, 20:23
yeah the only time a unit pivots to pursue a unit is when it is pursueing a fleeing unit after combat to it's side or rear. not on the charge.

Lord Dan
06-12-2008, 04:46
An outstanding Lizardmen player got me with that at a tournament once. I had a unit of Greatswords lined up to flank charge his Templeguard, so he lined up a unit of skinks in such a way that the model I had to pivot towards (the only one in line of sight) wasn't really anywhere near the rest of the unit. I ended up in some trees for the rest of the game.

Rodman49
06-12-2008, 20:43
An outstanding Lizardmen player got me with that at a tournament once. I had a unit of Greatswords lined up to flank charge his Templeguard, so he lined up a unit of skinks in such a way that the model I had to pivot towards (the only one in line of sight) wasn't really anywhere near the rest of the unit. I ended up in some trees for the rest of the game.

This is a common tactic with skirmishers; Lizardmen players especially because of their great core high movement skirmishers.

Empire an use skirmishers to good effect though, especially against enemy cavalry.

http://www.remanlegions.com/remanlegions/images/detachment_tactics/archers_only_flee/1.html