PDA

View Full Version : Strength in diversity? 2250 O&G

Kirth
06-12-2008, 07:29
I want a diverse army that can take all comers. I have an idea, but it may still seem redundant. Suggestions would be very appreciated.

Orc Great Shaman, Level 4, Power Stone
Orc Shaman, Level 2, Staff of Baduumm
Savage Orc Big Boss, Additional Choppa, Warboss Imbad's Iron Gnashas
Savage Orc Big Boss, Great Weapon, Bigged's Kickin' Boots

25 Goblins, Shields, Standard
24 Night Goblins, Nets, Standard
20 Night Goblins, Short Bows
6 Spider Riders, Musician
6 Spider Riders, Musician
23 Orc Boyz, Additional Choppas, Standard, Boss
2 Snotling Bases

10 Black Orcs, Shields
10 Squig Hoppers
Orc Boar Chariot, Extra Orc Crew

3 Trolls
Giant

I've played this a few times now so I am still tweaking the list. The Spider Riders, Chariots, Squig Hoppers, and Giant Form 2 forces that run down the flanks. The Hoppers in 1 group, the Giant in the other. The Spider Riders and Hoppers threaten war machines Simultaneously by moving through whatever cover is available. The Spider Riders are more than capable of keeping pace with the Hoppers, and I've found the poisoned attacks from the Spiders themselves teamed with the Wall-Crawlers special rule makes up for the loss of movement when compared to Wolf Riders.

Giant just tries to get stuck in where ever he can while avoiding wounds on the way in.

The Black Orcs act as the bodyguard for the OGS and OS. No loss of magic phase because of an animosity roll, and they have no fear of quick units attempting to kill my Shamans. They get shot up, which is why I only take 10, I'm really just buying my shamans wounds and I couldn't think of a better way to protect them.

The Big Bosses join their respective Orc Boy units and issue challenges. I just want them to be offensively threatening, and for what they can do they are fairly cheap. I just count on T5 with a 6+ ward and let the dice decide.

The Snotlings and Short Bow Armed Night Gobbos hold down my 2 table quarters. The Night Gobbos threaten as if they have fanatics. The Snotlings just try to survive long enough to claim a quarter.

The rest just maneuvers forward to attempt as best it can to get stuck in at the same time, taking animosity into account.

King Vyper
06-12-2008, 08:29
What is your strategy for the magic phase?

Fredmans
06-12-2008, 08:35
Interesting take. I am sure it works quite well, although I would miss my war machines. Just a little question, what is the thought behind the shamans' items? I would play them the opposite way. The staff of baduum on the great shaman and the power stone on the lvl 2. The #1 spell on the big waaagh is a fairly reliable spell that can be cast with two dice (ie perfect for support shamans). There are some very situational spells in the list as well and depending on how you roll for spells, the staff can be quite useless on a lvl 2, whereas it will always be of help on the great shaman. Come to think of it, I might even change the stone to a scroll (if you come up against Winds of Undeath or Pandemonium).

Otherwise, I like the list. Some minor suggestions...

I would definitely get a musician for the black orcs, especially if you use them as shaman bodyguards.

I would also get the goblin blocks musicians. On troops with low Ld, I always take musician first, standard second, champion never. Perhaps their sole purpose will be to flee. The musicians will help them rally.

So, how to get those points...

I like to keep my fast cavalry to 5. The advantage of being 5 is that one casualty rids you of animosity. No tests for units under 5 models. Two casualties will still cause panic tests on 6 models, so there is no real benefit and you only need three to remove rank bonuses on a flank charge.

I always take 8 Squig Hoppers. That means some can die and you still get 5 or 6 into battle.

Mind you, only suggestions.

Good luck,
Fredmans

Kirth
07-12-2008, 17:49
I made some changes given Fredmans advice. Here is the new list.

Orc Great Shaman, Level 4, Staff of Baduumm
Orc Shaman, Level 2, Nibbla's 'itty Ring

25 Night Goblins, Standard, Musician
5 Spider Riders, Musician
2 Snotling Bases

10 Black Orcs, Shields, Musician
8 Squig Hoppers

3 Trolls
Giant

Total: 2250

Sclep
07-12-2008, 20:13
I don't actually play, but I do troll the forums...

As such I can't comment on the army, though it looks pretty purty even without warmachines, but the small addition of a champion for the BlOrcs might be handy to issue challenges in order to save (or at least stave off the demise of) the Shaman's green hide every now and again (again, if only for a turn)?

Sclep

Kirth
07-12-2008, 20:41
Good read. I didn't think of that. I'll drop the itty ring for the BlOrc Champ.

Kirth
07-12-2008, 20:42
Any more comments for this list?

Orc Great Shaman, Level 4, Staff of Baduumm
Orc Shaman, Level 2

2 Snotling Bases

10 Black Orcs, Shields, Musician, Boss
8 Squig Hoppers

3 Trolls
Giant

Total: 2250

Gralph!?!
07-12-2008, 22:02
honest opinion? i do not think it will work very well, the army has alot of small and expensive units that can be hard which is then countered by having lots of goblins as which every one knows are rather poor at everything except dying. due to this i would strong recommend dropping a few of the more expensive units in favour of some ol' fashioned infantry.

at the moment i would consider dropping the trolls first as they cost 120 points and are not very good for what they do unless are supported by the right units (fast cav in flanks or warmachines to soften the targetted unit up enough to make the trolls effective) the main hitting power in the army is the 2 unit of orcs as they are the main units that have any hope of breaking through an enemy unit with any reliability. although i would strongly recoommend giving them shields instead of extra choppa's. a 4+ save in combat and strength 4 with one attack means that if an enemy infantry unit charges you then you have a chance to do some damamge after they atack since you will have a save.

possibly downgrade your savage orcs to normal orcs so you get an armour save (6+ ward isn't that great in my opinion) but the main reason is so that the enemy cannot bait your already fickle big bosses who join units. either the boss has to charge that scary treeman by himself or the unit charges him and bounces off only to get flank charged. it simply gives you a little extra control over them although a big boss with the basha's blood axe is an effective deterant for skirmishers and fast cav. (seen a big boss with it take on 7 knights and an elector count and killed all knights by himself in a single round)