PDA

View Full Version : Woodelf Tree army, could it work???

Getifa Ubazza
06-12-2008, 09:18
What im asking is, could a Woodelf army with nothing but Dryads, Treekin and Treemen work?

Maybe have one or two Woodelf units, just for something differant, But having more or less, nothing but Tree type units.

Ive always wanted to do this army, but dont see the point if its just going to get rolled over every game.

So let me know whatcha think.

Thanks.

devolutionary
06-12-2008, 09:36
Yes. Yes it most certainly can. Dryads are phenomenal core units, Treekin are solid heavy hitters. Dual Treemen is disgustingly strong. It's not an uncommon theme and it has shown a great deal of promise in the right hands. It is very bland in term of army composition though with only 5 units, two of them character variations of other units.

It works best with Drycha for a number of reasons, of course.

Jericho
06-12-2008, 09:56
The Drycha list works really well against a lot of opponents. With Glamorweaver mages and/or Branchwraiths and Treeman Ancients you can have a fairly powerful magic phase, with tons of Treesinging to literally remake the battlefield to better suit your tastes. Moving the trees into position allows your units to pop out in very advantageous spots and mess up the enemy. The army is also amazingly good ad VP denial.

Army lists that don't use Drycha often make use of BSB's to make Treemen/Ancients much better tarpits for Dryads/Treekin/Wardancers/Wild Riders to slam into the flanks/rear and demolish units.

Wardancers, Wild Riders, mounted BSB's and Alter Nobles are extremely useful units if you're taking a tree-heavy hybrid list instead of Drycha.

Be warned though, lots of people hate playing against this type of Wood Elf list, even more than they usually hate playing against Wood Elves. A pair of Treemen is sure to **** off a lot of opponents, even if you don't take the BSB to get re-rolls on their Stubbornness.

Getifa Ubazza
06-12-2008, 09:59
I was thinking of taking, say some Waywatchers and maybe something else Woodelven, to break up the blandness of the army and to add colour, but wasnt sure what would be in theme and would add to the overall effectiveness of the army.

I wouldnt want to get anyone upset with my army, i just like the theme. I would be careful to make sure i dont do anything cheesy.

Chicago Slim
07-12-2008, 01:02
So, yeah, lots of people gripe about the Treemonic Legion theme. I figure they can get bent-- it's a legal build, which chooses to limit itself to certain units for purely thematic purposes. What tends to tork people off about, I think, is that it is so very good as denial tactics, which can be rather frustrating for the poor sucker who's trying in vain to pin down a target and earn a few points...

If you choose to go without Drycha, you might consider some Alter Kindred for a few characters-- two or three of them, running together and carrying greataxes, can create a huge swing in combat resolution. Also, I've always thought it'd be cool to model them as half-elf/half-tree, which could look really awesome and fit your theme nicely.

fubukii
07-12-2008, 03:46
wardancers are a good choice for your solo elf unit so you can still rock 2 treemen. Elf mages also works well in this list preferably with wand of wych elm or the caligor staff.

Elves All The Way
07-12-2008, 04:16
It would work but it would also be a bit boring, all you have to do is march them forward and watch them tear the enemy apart, and watch out for the lore of fire:P

Getifa Ubazza
07-12-2008, 17:06
Ok, what is in my mind. I would take 2 units of Dryads, 3 units of Treekin and 2 Treemen. That means i would need a Woodelf Lord, some Woodelf Heroes, 1 Core and 1 Special choice to get my 2000pts. I was thinking of Orion as my Lord choice.

BigbyWolf
07-12-2008, 22:20
Well, if your taking Orion you have to have a unit of Wild Riders (but they become core...), so that takes care of your last core slot. I've never used him myself, but I have seen him in games and he can be a bit of a risk due to his only save being a 5+ ward that only works against non-magical attacks. For safety reasons he's better off leaving the dogs at home and running around with a unit of Wild Riders.

Getifa Ubazza
07-12-2008, 23:30
Well, if your taking Orion you have to have a unit of Wild Riders (but they become core...), so that takes care of your last core slot. I've never used him myself, but I have seen him in games and he can be a bit of a risk due to his only save being a 5+ ward that only works against non-magical attacks. For safety reasons he's better off leaving the dogs at home and running around with a unit of Wild Riders.So Orion (No Doggies), 1 unit of Wild Riders and say 1 unit of Wardancers and i should be good to go? If i had the points, i think i really need a couple Mages.

Jericho
08-12-2008, 02:25
I was just gonna say Orion can't join units, but then I remembered that they FAQ'ed the Wood Elf book just in time for our Mighty Empires club campaign to end. I only got one game in with all the new goodies, including Orion joining units :D

If you're looking for Mages, then be sure to include one level 1 Branchwraith with Cluster of Radiants. Very cheap way to get Dispel dice, pretty much mandatory for WE magic defense sadly. Not many helpful items in this category, unless you want to take a Lord level caster...

Getifa Ubazza
08-12-2008, 03:00
That would actually look quite cool. A whole army of trees, lead by 4 Woodelf Mages. They would add colour and beauty to the army.

Jericho
08-12-2008, 04:35
I don't know if I would want to invest that heavily in mages to be perfectly honest... the Lore of Athel Loren is a good support Lore, but having 3 wizards stuck with it and possibly one mage with Life/Beasts isn't exactly game-breaking. I'd say 3 casters can be useful, but I wouldn't bother with more. Treemen will provide plenty of bound spell Treesinging, and you don't exactly need 4 guys +2 trees running around casting Treesinging every turn.

If the default spell in Athel Loren was Fury of the Forest, I'd definitely feel better about taking so many WE mages. I just hate the thought of being stuck with it on 800ish points of mages :p

Lord Dan
08-12-2008, 04:39
I figure they can get bent-- it's a legal build, which chooses to limit itself to certain units for purely thematic purposes.

Thematic purposes? So the widely accepted fact that those units happen to be the most point-efficient in the army is irrelevant?

darkace77450
08-12-2008, 08:41
Ok, what is in my mind. I would take 2 units of Dryads, 3 units of Treekin and 2 Treemen. That means i would need a Woodelf Lord, some Woodelf Heroes, 1 Core and 1 Special choice to get my 2000pts. I was thinking of Orion as my Lord choice.

If the theme of your army is trees, then take more than two units of dryads. ;)

Thematic purposes? So the widely accepted fact that those units happen to be the most point-efficient in the army is irrelevant?

All we can do is work with that GW has given us; when building a themed army the points of models are the one thing we can't control.

Nuada
08-12-2008, 09:09

I've got one of these armies, but i'm not keen on Orion. Love the model, but in the game I don't think he's amazing.

I've got dryca as my general, so all the spellsingers have to be glamourweave.(which means they have to be on either unicorns or horses) I've converted them so they're all centaurs, fits in with the theme.

I had a 3,500 pnt game. In that game i was kicking out 16 power dice and five power lvl 3 spells per turn, so lots of tree-surfing :D (three treemen are great). Remember that treesinging can also do damage to any enemy units in the woods, i easily took down 20 ghouls and a vampire in a round

Lord Dan
08-12-2008, 17:44
All we can do is work with that GW has given us; when building a themed army the points of models are the one thing we can't control.

I agree, some of the time (such as the case of the OP) the people who come up with list ideas genuinely have no idea the list is so OTT. In many cases, however, I just find it a bit convenient that sometimes the theme happens to be ridiculously powerful.

"Hey, that list has lots of pegasus knights in it. What a great theme."

silentarrow12
08-12-2008, 17:57
I personally would not suggest using wood elf casters for anything beyond the mandatory dispel purposes. The lore of athel loren is very weak in a tournament scenario where you do not receive the armies free wood and their are boards without a single tree (which I guarantee you can happen at games day or grand tournament). The mark of a good lore is a solid reliable first spell that you can count on and effectively build a strategy around. Tree-singing is not this in a competitive environment. Treemonic legions can be powerful but are neutered against the millions of daemon armies with all magical attacks so you will never take a single ward save which is brutal. Magical attacks seem to be all too prevalent these days for a treemonic legion to be effective. Dryads are amazing models and totally worth their points but treemen are incredibly overpriced and currently get brutalized by a wide variety of things (greater daemons, flaming cannons, flaming magic, star dragons...just to name a few). All that I can tell you as an experienced wood elf player is that the treemen's ld 8 is totally unreliable. I still think it's absurd that a retarded giant has ld 10 while an ancient and venerable treeman has 8......

fubukii
08-12-2008, 18:09
I would disagree and say wood elf magic is very good. My friend runs a lvl4 and 2 lvl 2s in his tree army and it does well. With the caligor staff, deepwood sphere, some scrolls and power stones he moves terrain all over and gets such a huge advantage because of it.

silentarrow12
08-12-2008, 18:17
Indeed if you can count on trees being on the board, the lore is useful...I was merely referring to games workshop sponsored tournaments where there is no such guarantee...I just went to GT Baltimore and ended up on a desert board with no trees....I was royally screwed.....just sucks that almost all of your magic phase is eliminated before the game even starts.

Chicago Slim
08-12-2008, 19:04
In many cases, however, I just find it a bit convenient that sometimes the theme happens to be ridiculously powerful.

"Hey, that list has lots of pegasus knights in it. What a great theme."

Well, the entire Storm of Chaos supplement was pretty much built around that idea...

"Okay, so the upside to this army list is that you get a bunch of extra bonuses, above what you'd normally get. And the downside is, you can't take certain kinds of troops that you probably didn't want to take anyway."

Getifa Ubazza
08-12-2008, 21:22
I just like the models and they look quite easy to paint. I also love the idea of the army from a celtic point of view. The idea of the haunted wood, coming alive to protect itself from trespassers. Yes please.

Lord Dan
08-12-2008, 22:13
Well, the entire Storm of Chaos supplement was pretty much built around that idea...

QFT. Don't even get me started on the Slayer list.

Jericho
08-12-2008, 22:42
I think the whole point of the Storm of Chaos supplement was to entice people into buying incredibly expensive all-metal armies such as Slayers, Daemons, and highly converted Chaos/Dark Elf hybrids, without worrying about them breaking the tournament scene.

Anyway... I agree with the statement that Wood Elf magic is far too reliant on scenery to be worth investing in heavily. If you know for a fact that you will be playing with Forests, and especially in Pitched Battles where you can use your free forest special rule, then by all means go for it! But for tourneys, the sparse scenery and the presence of themed boards means you have a reasonable chance of getting screwed royally before the game even begins.

"Wow my default spell, bound spells and magic items are all useless, hooray!"