PDA

View Full Version : Marching and Difficult Terrain

Artinam
06-12-2008, 23:09
Hey all,

I have a question, if you look at the marching rules it says you can't march in difficult terrain (except for units who can according to some special rule).

Furthermore Difficult terrain slows you down to half your movement (For example, it takes 2 inch to move 1 inch in Difficult terrain.

Would this mean that a standard Move 4 Human can only move 2 inch per turn in difficult terrain? Because I have seen people moving 4 inch (Basicly their March move halved). When I read the rules I had the impression that this is wrong and that Difficult terrain is truely a swamp for ranked units...

Not even looking at Very difficult terrain,
So am I reading it right or am I totally wrong? Help would be appreciated!:)

nosferatu1001
06-12-2008, 23:15
You are right.

MOvement is halved, so a movement 4 human can only move 2

no marching, therefore you can only move 2. Whoever you saw playing probably forgot the "no marching" part.....

theunwantedbeing
06-12-2008, 23:17
You are right.

People often forget that you cannot march through difficult terrain.
So a mv4 human is indeed reduced to 2" of movement rhough difficult terrain so long as part of his unit is inside the difficult terrain.

Some people make a house rule that you can march through difficult terrain as they see it as too much of a movement restriction.

Make sure to bring up anything you feel goes against the rules or is incorrect during a game whenever possible. It makes sure everyone is on the same page as regards to how the rules function.

Cherrystone
07-12-2008, 01:47
We allow marching through difficult terrain but make it risky if the enemy are near by(the unit is slightly scattered by moving so fast through the terrain) with the rule that the unit looses any rank bonus if charged in the following turn.

Braad
07-12-2008, 01:53
We just do half movement, marching allowed. Otherwise an orc unit of 25 models (5 ranks) can be stuck for all turns of a game when they have to cross a river of 4" wide.
When one of your opponents made a table (which took a lot of work) with a river all the way accross, and only two bridges, you really need such houserules.

Biscuit76
07-12-2008, 02:31
You are right.

MOvement is halved, so a movement 4 human can only move 2

no marching, therefore you can only move 2. Whoever you saw playing probably forgot the "no marching" part.....

The only exemption is units of skirmishers which are not effected by difficult terrain and can even march through it. p65 SRB

Rodman49
07-12-2008, 03:02
We just do half movement, marching allowed. Otherwise an orc unit of 25 models (5 ranks) can be stuck for all turns of a game when they have to cross a river of 4" wide.
When one of your opponents made a table (which took a lot of work) with a river all the way accross, and only two bridges, you really need such houserules.

Yeah, you'd need to stick some fords in that.

SamVimes
07-12-2008, 03:08
I have a house-rule where infantry can "adopt loose formation." This isn't the same as the Lustria rule that basically makes the unit into a skirmishing block, but rather the unit can move through difficult terrain as if it was open, but they still maintain their normal unit facing and flanks, and they don't count ranks if they get into combat. They can either start this way, or use a reform order to change into/out of it. It works well, and means you can have a really terrain heavy board now and again. But I haven't played a game in a long time. :(

AMWOOD co
07-12-2008, 04:59
My buddies and I have played a few games with heavy terrain, but we always maintain that there is no marching allowed. I do insist to our one lizardman player that there should be no impassable lakes for his skinks to hide in, though. I don't like the idea of a unit that can never be fought (and he knows it, though he still tries).

I find that when using terrain (any terrain), you need to worry much more about deployment. Make sure your important units don't get tied up inside a forest or rocky patch.