PDA

View Full Version : Best Magic Standards?

BigbyWolf
07-12-2008, 23:43
Discussion on another thread got me thinking about which magic banners are the best. In my opinion 3 of the best are (in no particular order):

Morks War Banner- 50 points for up to three extra DD, as far as I'm concerned it's one of the top one's out there, particularly good for O&G as our magic isn't brilliant.

Banner of Battle- extra d6 to combat resolution can never be bad...

and finally the Drakenhof Banner- it might be a whopping 125 points, but when combined with a Wight Lord BSB, a Vampire and a unit of Grave Guard or Black Knights with the Banner of the Barrows it can be a lot of fun...

Anybody have any other particular favourites?

Storak
08-12-2008, 00:20
Mork's spirit Totem indeed is the best, that O&G have to offer. (not only best banner, but best magic item as well..)

best anti-orc banner is the daemonic Great Icon of Despair. (-2 Ld, who ever came up with it should get some special treatment..)

Shimmergloom
08-12-2008, 00:26
I think you can argue that akkrit axe is better than the totem. My totem bearer dies nearly every game as everyone knows to target him or his unit and you lose not only your bsb, but 3 dispel dice. And the best he can have is a 3+ armor save which is more and more a pittance these days.

Malice&Mizery
08-12-2008, 00:29
Banner of Nagarythe for +1 combat resolution to everyone within "12 and the bearers unit is Unbreakable, shame about the cost :(

Krusty
08-12-2008, 00:32
thats why you just give morks totem to a unit of big unz...

a great one is banner of flanking for lizzies...
gunna suck when they change it to be like the waaagh banner...
which reminds me, banner of butchery is pretty cool too

devolutionary
08-12-2008, 00:37
Errantry Banner. 25pts, +1S on the charge. Simple and effective.

Tae
08-12-2008, 00:58
Great Icon of Despair.

Yes it can only be a BSB for Demons (gets some crackers ready for the shouts of 'cheese'), but combine it with the Masque and you can start making entire armies crap themselves very qucikly.

And if you're feeling really nasty, add in a Herald of Tzeentch with Master of Sorcery to get an additional -3 ld if you get the right spell off.

Pure, unadulterated, filth.

death__lord
08-12-2008, 01:05
Warbanner. Simple and effective.

havoc626
08-12-2008, 01:16
I'd say Banner of the Hidden Dead is one of the better ones out there. Great choice against those pesky wood elves or war machines. Move the unit containing the BSB, use the banner, put the unit down, move the unit, use an incantaion to charge with the unit.

Using it on a squad of 5 Heavy Horsemen w/ banner, and the BSB being in a squad of skeles, that gives the 'range' of the unit 46" to be able to charge (assuming the spell is cast). If the BSB is mounted, that makes it 50".

Only thing is, the character slot probably isn't worth it, as who doesn't want another Liche Preist/Tomb Prince?

MrPickles
08-12-2008, 01:30
Surprised no one has mentioned banner of the barrows. Combined with the helm of commandment on a vamp lord and great weapons, you are hitting on 2+ and wounding on 2+ 95% of the time, with killing blow to boot!

Cognitave
08-12-2008, 01:34
In context: the WoC's frenzy banner with a unit of Chaos Knights with mark of nurgle.

On it's own: The Drakenhof banner. Put it in almost any unit (lol zombies) in the Vampire army, and it'll turn out to be a lot of fun.

Rodman49
08-12-2008, 01:42
Imperial Banner is a steal if you take a ton of maneuver elements (re-roll most leadership tests).

Walls
08-12-2008, 01:46
Am I evil for putting the Drakenhof Banner and Banner of Barrows in the same unit? 25 Grave Guard, 1 Wight BSB and a vampire took on two big units of hammerers (20 or 25 each) and a dragon slayer. Started with 25... ended with 25. Killed about half the hammerers and the slayer.

Fanfan
08-12-2008, 02:30
Great Icon of Despair.

Yes it can only be a BSB for Demons (gets some crackers ready for the shouts of 'cheese'), but combine it with the Masque and you can start making entire armies crap themselves very qucikly.

And if you're feeling really nasty, add in a Herald of Tzeentch with Master of Sorcery to get an additional -3 ld if you get the right spell off.

Pure, unadulterated, filth.

Add a lvl4 Keeper of Secrets and pray for Phantasmagoria and shards, plus a herald to make units stupid for the entire game... Put the Great Icon of Despair in a unit of Seekers and get it 4" of enemy lines on turn 1 with the Masque and the Keeper causing terror tests on 3d6. While waiting for your opponent's turn, you can still cast the shards or other Ld based spells to destroy an other unit and cause panic to units next to it...

Great Icon of Despair: -2
Dance of Dreaming: -1 to -3
Phantasmagoria: Ld tests on 3d6

Your Ld 10 elves are now Ld 5. Try and pass that 3d6 Ld test!
You gotta do it three times before you can try to hit me.

Slaanesh is good... :angel:

Of course if you take that banner out of context, it may not be the best banner of all times...

Lord Dan
08-12-2008, 02:55
I can chalk up a couple wins to the Banner of Twilight. You just can't beat having a unit of KoTR suddenly phase through a forest and end up behind your enemy's line.

Devil Tree
08-12-2008, 03:41
The War Banner, its not uber-powerful but its simple, cheap and effective. That makes it the all-around best in my opinion.

Ethriel
08-12-2008, 05:28
My personal favorite banner, is the Lion Standard....so many people now have rock hard units that cause fear or terror, and for some unknown reason my swordmasters have the uncanny ability to fail these tests at the worst possible moment, so either they run away or they hit on 6's. With this banner they become that much safer to use...now i just have to worry about panic tests.....Arrrgh.

The Red Scourge
08-12-2008, 05:40
The only banner I ever use is the War Banner. Either on a band of Wild Riders or for my WoC BSB – MoK, Juggernaut and a flail +2 CR will easily generate 7-8 CR at 250ish points.

StormCrow
08-12-2008, 07:43
Banner of Huanchi is a joke at the moment. I basically have to cower in my deployment zone in the corner just so that i don't get flank charged by that BS item. Can't wait for the new lizardman book if only for that item to be toned down.

Finally I'd say drakenhof banner. It is ludicrously good. I've seen swordmasters charge a graveguard unit in the flank and cause 2 wounds before being autobroken andrun down. It was witnessing this that cemented my belief that that banner is insanely good.

Icon of Rakaph is a great one too. Free reform for a unit before declaring charges...yes please!

Leogun_91
08-12-2008, 09:13
1st place Runebanner (mix it as you like)
2nd place Warbanner for a mere 25pts this banner is part of most of my armies.
3rd place Griffon Standard put him in a unit of greatswords and your set.
4th place Rowdy Rotts Big Red Raggedy banner (a life saver and cheap)

Braad
08-12-2008, 09:58
Banner of Butchery for da win!

DarknessDawns
08-12-2008, 10:12
you know, that slanesh army trick, wont work at all agianst vamps unless you somehow kill his rock hard general :P

The Clairvoyant
08-12-2008, 10:24
Banner of Hellfire - 25pts and great in this current climate of lots of things with regenerate.

Mr Wight Lord with sword of kings in a unit with this banner and *that* dark elf lord will start panicking, though not quite as much as the Mummy Tomb King :D

Nurgle_84
08-12-2008, 11:14
Raptorous Standard. Almost stubborn for 20 Points? Sure!

Tae
08-12-2008, 11:29
Add a lvl4 Keeper of Secrets and pray for Phantasmagoria and shards, plus a herald to make units stupid for the entire game... Put the Great Icon of Despair in a unit of Seekers and get it 4" of enemy lines on turn 1 with the Masque and the Keeper causing terror tests on 3d6. While waiting for your opponent's turn, you can still cast the shards or other Ld based spells to destroy an other unit and cause panic to units next to it...

Great Icon of Despair: -2
Dance of Dreaming: -1 to -3
Phantasmagoria: Ld tests on 3d6

Your Ld 10 elves are now Ld 5. Try and pass that 3d6 Ld test!
You gotta do it three times before you can try to hit me.

Slaanesh is good... :angel:

Of course if you take that banner out of context, it may not be the best banner of all times...

Yes, I am just waiting for that one game I play against Skaven or O&G when I let them go first and they move up, then I run the KoS, Masque and BSB who is on his own on a steed down one flank and 2 fiends down the other, then laugh as I cast all of the above etc. and then the entire army flees in one direction away from the KoS and straight into the fiends.

I know it takes a lot of things to happen, but just the idea of it is hilarious :D

marv335
08-12-2008, 11:31
Banner of the world dragon.
total immunity to magic.
brilliant.

FurryMiguell
08-12-2008, 12:00
My good friend fraggzy use quite a lot of less powerful magic banners from HE, but in combination it is by far the most powerful array of magical items I have ever faced and will indeed face again!

As one single powerful banner, I have a favouritte in the TK book;)

Cheers:D

Ward.
08-12-2008, 12:04
you know, that slanesh army trick, wont work at all agianst vamps unless you somehow kill his rock hard general :P

Not that hard when you've got a daemon.

Edahlo
08-12-2008, 12:09
I like the drakenhof banner. Expensive but well worth it.

Kidjal
08-12-2008, 12:13
I do love the Griffon Standard, although not being able to persue is a bit of a bummer. double combat resolution is fantastic though.

slasher
08-12-2008, 13:21
Banner of the Lady + Virtue of (not caring about out number) = 1 man army..... :P

StarFyre
08-12-2008, 13:29
I'm sorry but with all the crazy items and chars out there, don't try and say that the Banner of Huanchi is insane or anything...

There are tons of worse items out there and since it's one use only...it's really not that big a deal.

Also considering how Lizardmen have the least items and banners to choose from, and a bunch of them are utter crap (dragonfly item!!!), having a couple of good things is required.

Sanjay

Briohmar
08-12-2008, 13:38
Raptorous Standard. Almost stubborn for 20 Points? Sure!

Nope, its better than stubborn in a lot of ways. Any 1 or Any double. That makes it quite the steal at 20 points. I passed two break tests on a 3 and a 4 respectively, one of which I rolled a 6 and a 1, and the other double 4's. Definitely worth inclusion.

Feefait
08-12-2008, 14:10
Nothing in the Ogre book that's for sure. They have the worst banners in the game. Skaven have some decent situational banners. I agree the Ork banner is probably one of the best. That and the staff of sneaky stealing and you can really go a long way to neutralizing or inhibiting a magic phase.

FigureFour
08-12-2008, 14:15
Warbanner. Simple and effective.

Does anyone NOT take the Warbanner? I think it's a clear winner.

blurred
08-12-2008, 14:52
IMO daemons take the cake in this one (surprise). The -2 to LD banner is just sick. The drop from LD 9 to Ld 7 is huge and even Ld 10 is in no way reliable anymore. Combine all this with an army of fear-causers and terror and spells which abuse Ld and... :rolleyes:

march10k
08-12-2008, 15:01
Icon of Rakaph is a great one too. Free reform for a unit before declaring charges...yes please!

Only one I use...

Cambion Daystar
08-12-2008, 16:30
I do love the Griffon Standard, although not being able to persue is a bit of a bummer. double combat resolution is fantastic though.

That's where you use your detachments for ;)

Malorian
08-12-2008, 16:36
1. Blessed lizardmen banner of D6 movement
2. Mork spirit totem
3. Griffin banner

Lazarus15
08-12-2008, 17:44
There are a few of my personal favorites in no particular order:

1) Great Standard of Sundering-Daemons- (-2 cast, double 1,2,3's miscast lore of light)

2) Banner of Murder-Dark Elves-(armor piercing)---executioners....aw damn.

3) Mirage Standard-TK-(5+ward against shooting that requires no hit, or if it does, re-roll successful hits)

4) Standard of balence-High Elves-(BOTH you and your enemy's are immune to psychology, but everyone loses hate and frenzy)

The last one is great against khorne and dark elves, especially when they charge a hydra at a unit of white lions or sword masters.

Nerhesi
08-12-2008, 17:54
Really now.. the best banner in existence is Rakaph.

It is just only "really good" because only tomb kings can get it at the moment :)

But Rakaph... imagine that on any other unit out there...

Dirt-ee.

Yeah.. my <insert-superknight-unit> free reforms and charges you...

Too bad the best knights the TKs can get are super-crappy 4+ armor str 4 on the charge turds...

Sam W.

Opeth14
08-12-2008, 18:10
It's definately not the 'best', but one my favorites is BoC Vitriolic totem; gives all models in the unit poisoned attacks.

Condottiere
08-12-2008, 19:49
Do Dark Elves actually lose hatred when facing High Elves?

zak
08-12-2008, 20:10
The exact opposite in fact. The whole army become Black Guard for the game! Hatred on each turn of battle rather than just the first turn. Very nasty.

My favourite banner has to be the Battle Banner for the High Elves. It is one of the only banners that can turn a combat around completely and a bargain for 80 points.

sephiroth87
09-12-2008, 07:28
1. Always strikes first banner for the dark elves.

2. War Banner

3. Icon of Despair for daemons

Those are the best I've played with or against.

badgeraddict
09-12-2008, 10:45
For my Bretonnians;

1. Warbanner
2. Errantry Banner
3. Banner of Chalons

Hospitaler
09-12-2008, 11:06
Dwarves can get a large number of both annoying and powerful combinations on their runebanners, so they get my vote simply due to the flexibility.
For my vamps though the banner of the Dead Leigon can turn games with the increased possibility of an autobreak :)
and for old times sake... the wabanner is the most commonly used, ergo its the best :p

redbaron998
09-12-2008, 11:10
Master Rune of Grungni:

Makes me already tough Dwarfs nigh invunrable to shootin.

Zarahemna
09-12-2008, 11:20
Does anyone remember Mork's War Banner? I used to take that in conjunction with the Bad Moon Banner on big units of Night Goblins with Double Handed Weapons. Lovely!

Morks War Banner killed all magic users on contact with the unit. The Bad Moon Banner gave ASF and -2 to shooting. That unit detonated several Slaan and was the most tricksiest unit I have ever come up with.

Of course things move on, but those are fond memories.

I think the War Banner is best. Usually available as a non BSB option for units, it's sickly sweet and super cheap!

W0lf
09-12-2008, 13:18
Probably the humble warbanner. I think every list i ever write has one in :P

However:

Dark elves:
ASF banner - Obvious really, put on black guard.
Hydra banner on cold ones, 2S6 attacks with hatred per knight? Sick.

WoC:
Rage banner - immune to psy and an extra attack, yes please.

Bretonnians:
errantry banner - every list ive seen has it.

Dwarfs:
Rune of battle (see warbanner tbh)
Rune of stoicism (sp?) - 2x unit strength.

Vampires:
Drakenhof banner - regen, must have for a deathstar unit.
Dead legion - Double unit strength on fear causers? yes please.

High elves:
Banner of sorcery - bargain
Banner of elyrion (sp?) - move through cover on princes or swordmasters.
Battle banner - what other banner can turn a loss of 3 to a win of 3?

These are the ones that come to mind.

However warbanner = win. oh and incase you were wondering, yes i do really like 2x US banners.

vinny t
09-12-2008, 13:26
My vote would be for the Standerd of Chaos Glory of the Deamon stubborn banner. Makes the entire army essentially unbreakable which, combined with unkillible Horrors/Plaguebearers, makes the army unkillible. Totally sick!!!

darkelves99
09-12-2008, 18:14
i would deffinetly say the battle banner for the high elves, The d6 added combat resolution can turn games completly around.:angel: