PDA

View Full Version : 2000 points of Brettonians

cleansingfury
08-12-2008, 00:28
Hello all I just started fantasy and I am making a 2k list as I have money to spare. I loved the look and sound of brettonian knights to built this list:

Paladin- Virtue of the Joust, Lance of Artois, Grail Vow, Shield, Barded Warhorse

Paladin- Banner of Chalons, Barded Warhorse, Virtue of Purity

Damsel of the Lady- Level 2, Warhorse

Knights of the Realm- 8 Knights, Musician, Standard

Knights of the Realm- 8 Knights, Musician, Standard

Knights Errant- 8 Knights, Musician, Standard, Errantry Banner

Men At Arms- 16 Men, Music, Standard, Yeoman

Peasent Bowmen- 16 Men, Light Armor, Music, Standard, Villein

Unfortuneatly it is only about 1700 points. I will have 3 pegasus knights and an unmounted damsel to add. Is this a pretty good starting army or is there something I should change?

mossel
08-12-2008, 00:51
you might, just might, want to lose most of your peasants and swap them for some knights who are actually capable of doing some damage (maybe grailknights, pegasus knights...). I'd personally only keep 2x 10 Peasant Bowmen with braziers. I'd also take a Lord to lead the army.

Say a Lord, kitted with some nice combat stuff, a BSB, 2 scrollcaddies and a hero on pegasus, Sx 10 bowmen, 2x KotR, 1x KE, some pegasi and a unit grailknights will form a solid army to start with.

Sir_Lunchalot
08-12-2008, 21:31
Men-at-arms tend to be useless at everything except running away and/oy dying in droves. to that end, take them in units of 10 with no upgrades and stick them in front of your knights to get charged, then either flee, stranding the chargers in front of your knights, or hold, then die horribly and break, thus drawing the opponent in charge range of your knights. Also, with Bretonnia you NEED to take a BSB, so he'll be one of the new paladins you add. I'd also suggest taking a lord, as they're pretty good for human characters. Also, on the damsel, if you give her a horse, don't bother with level 2. There are only 2 spells she can use from lore of life, and two from lore of beasts (because remember in the middle of the block of knights she can't see anything). If you put her on a horse, give her 2 scrolls and use her as a scroll caddy. otherwise, put her on foot in a block of peasant bowmen and use beasts. Nearly every spell in that lore is useful to a Bretonnian army.

Malorian
08-12-2008, 21:37
At this point you are going to have to decide on a traditional bret army or a peasant army (mixes don't do so well).

Peasant armies can work but they are a lot harder as they require the use of horde tactics, so I'd suggest you go with the traditional bret army of a bunch of knights and a single unit of skirmishing archers.

But, in the mean time play with what you have (after making it legal by adding a BSB) and see what elements you like and which you don't.

I actually have a saved bret tactica that I'll PM you.