PDA

View Full Version : Skaven attachments

Roboshmoo
08-12-2008, 16:44
Can you single out and target a Ratling gun if it is within 5'" of it's parent unit?

I have been told by numerous people that under current targeting rules it can, but I was reading the FAQ on the warhammer site and it had this listing-

Q.. Does the Cavalry Base special rule mean that
weapons teams can be targeted by shooting even when
within 5" of a unit because they are on a larger base?
A. No. It says on page 26 “…they cannot be singled out
as targets by enemy shooters because they are the same
size as the other Skaven around them.”

Is this still a valid ruling or is it outdated as the skaven book is pretty old.

Thanks

DeathlessDraich
08-12-2008, 17:00
Hello and welcome Roboshmoo.
Obsolete FAQ - 6th ed.

Weapons teams can be singled out.

You might be interested in the discussions in the Council of 13 in the Tactics forum.

Roboshmoo
08-12-2008, 17:07
Thanks,

that is the way I have always played it, but the FAQ entry was messing with my head.

KanzlerMartok
23-03-2009, 17:46
Has there been anything offical on this topic?
After all the FAQ was released in Feburary 2008, while the 7th edition Rulebook was released in September 2006.

stripsteak
23-03-2009, 19:07
i believe it's just that the FAQ was updated in 2008, probably some other question on the FAQ got updated. and they didn't bother touching the older questions.

by the rules now weapon teams can be picked out. they follow the rules for characters, and characters can be singled out if they are alone.

KanzlerMartok
23-03-2009, 19:18
I would agree if the answer in the FAQ would have been "they follow the rules of characters", but it says specificely "…they cannot be singled out
as targets by enemy shooters because they are the same
size as the other Skaven around them."

Festus
23-03-2009, 21:48
Hi

Reread the rules in the Skaven AB and use the BRB: Teams can be shot at under the same circumstances as characters.

As those have changed from 6th to 7th, the FAQ answer is obsolete. And wrong as well ;)

Greetings
Festus

Lord Zarkov
23-03-2009, 22:00
Except this is a 7th ed FAQ postdating the rulebook and IIRC replacing a previous 7th Ed FAQ confirming that they can be shot at...

KanzlerMartok
24-03-2009, 10:49
no offense, but non of this sounds really offical, why didn't they remove this from the FAQ if it's outdated? Is there anyone offical one can ask?

stripsteak
24-03-2009, 14:44
the FAQ is what they term 'soft rules' they are only meant as a guide to help with gray areas. There isn't any gray area when it comes to the weapon teams look at the Skaven book and BRB and all the answers are clear. weapon teams can be targeted like characters. there are no longer restrictions on targeting characters outside of a unit. the FAQs should only be consulted when there is confusion in the rules. the only confusion in this case comes from the FAQ. Now if the confusion was caused from errata that different since errata can actually change what the book says. A FAQ can not change what the book says so in a case where there is a conflict between the books and the FAQ go with the books.

Mercules
24-03-2009, 17:35
They are targeted "as characters" which can now be picked out. I had to go over this not once, but 3 times with a friend who started playing Skaven. Explained it once, then someone brought up the FAQ and we went through it again, and then he heard from someone that the FAQ contradicted the rules of the book so we argued it again.

I hate that line in the FAQ, it is misleading.