PDA

View Full Version : New 1000 point Warriors of Chaos army

Firebreather
08-12-2008, 23:20
Hey there everyone. I've been away from the hobby for a while, and recently with all the time I have on my hands now, am getting back into it. With Christmas fast approaching, it's an excellent oppurtunity for me to start a brand new army, and with Warriors of Chaos having just been released, it looks like they're as good a choice as any. Now, I've yet to get the book, but have checked out the basics on the GW website.

What I'm looking for is your ideas on the best and most cost efficient way to start a small(1000 to 1500 point) Chaos army. All your ideas will be put together, and end up making my Christmas wishlist. So, what would you suggest?

Kalec
08-12-2008, 23:51
Exalted on chaos steed with shield, favor of the gods and rending sword - 170

5 MoK horsemen with flails and light armor - 110

5 MoK horsemen with flails and light armor - 110

5 chaos knights with musician - 210

5 chaos knights - 200

5 chaos knights - 200

Points on the exalted might be off by a bit since this is done from memory, but everything else is spot-on.

Most cost-efficient way is to get the battalion box from an online store, not GW, to give you a decent selection of units. A couple of boxes of knights and horsemen will finish it, and you could make the exalted out of a plastic chaos knight with some of the extra bits from the other boxes.

Firebreather
09-12-2008, 00:05
Cool, thanks for the suggestions, Kalec! The cav force things seems really cool, especially considering the cavalry in question are Chaos Knights for the most part;) Nice. I'll certainly take your advice into consideration.

I hadn't originally thought to make my army a cavalry based force, but I'm open to the idea for sure. I thought that the best way to go would be a more all-round combined arms type of force. Your suggestion about getting the battallion with a few boxes of Horsemen and Knights is probably the way to go, I'm thinking. It would give me a bit in the way of static combat res, and whole lot in the way of killing power. Very nice, and thanks again!

Kalec
09-12-2008, 03:08
Mixing infantry and cavalry is a tricky balance for Warriors. Marauder horsemen give us a hard-hitting core cavalry unit, something few armies have. We also have elite-class infantry and swordsmen-class infantry in core. Our obvious parallel, Empire, doesn't have cavalry like ours so they need the static CR and character support. Their cavalry are much cheaper and better supported, so they can afford to be a part of the whole. Chaos doesn't have much shooting, skirmishers, or fliers, but we have very powerful cavalry, so focusing on them works well for us.

One way to give cavalry some static CR is big warhound blocks. Less durable then infantry, but they are fast enough to keep up with the cavalry

Firebreather
09-12-2008, 03:22
Hmmm, interesting thoughts, Kalec. Not only interesting, but that actually makes good sense and is something I've never really thought about before. Well, taking that line of thought into consideration, it seems only right to go a more cavalry heavy route with Chaos.

I'm sure you don't mean to say that I shouldn't bother with any infantry at all, but rather should focus more on cavalry to get the job done. This mean that the battallion boxed set is still a decent place to start, as it has 10 warhounds and 5 knights in terms of cavalry, and I'm sure I can find a decent use for a block of Marauders in any army I make. The Warriors might be a little less usable, but this isn't much of a loss really.

Okay, the more I think about it, the more sold I get on cavalry heavy Chaos. Awesome. I like your list you've given above too, Kalec. I might work on one of my own, incorporating a block of Marauders, and maybe a Spawn or some such for added character.

Firebreather
09-12-2008, 03:34
Here's a first go, taking into account much of your advice, Kalec. It's not as bare and effective as the original list you suggested, but it has a little more of the character(imho, of course...) that I'm looking for, while still being effective...I think. Let me know what you think!

Exalted-
Shield
Chaos Steed
Rending Sword
Favour of the Gods

20 Marauders-
Light Armour
Shields
full cmd.

5 Marauder Horsemen-
Mark of Khorne
Light Armour
Flails
Musician

5 Marauder Horsemen-
Mark of Khorne
Light Armour
Flails
Musician

5 Chaos Warhounds

5 Chaos Warhounds

5 Chaos Knights-
Mark of Nurgle
full cmd.

2 Spawn

TOTAL-992pts.

Thoughts?

Marwynn
09-12-2008, 04:20
Pretty nice. I think this can do fairly well actually.

Firebreather
09-12-2008, 04:24
Wow, really?! Hah, I'm kind of shocked actually. Thanks so much, Marwynn! At first I thought it kind of looked just like a crappier, less focused version of the list Kalec suggested, so I'm glad to see someone actually likes it!

For the record, I quite like it too. It combines a little bit of infantry, which is something I was determined to have in some form from the beginning, and a lot of cavalry, which is something Kalec really opened my eyes to. So yeah, I kinda like it too. Thanks again!

Kalec
09-12-2008, 05:55
The knight champ is a waste. 5 chaos knights with the standard will win most combats, especially if the exalted runs with them. Cutting the champ upgrade gives you 28 points to spare, enough to give the marauders MoS (essential to keep undead from autobreaking them) and will let you buy a few more bodies, preserving that third rank bonus a bit longer.

The horsemen are risky, because you don't have a whole lot to support them, and only have the one unit of knights to help any horsemen unit that gets pulled into a sticky situation due to frenzy. They have the raw power to be worth it regardless, you'll just have to be careful with them.

It doesn't have the speed and hitting power or my list (15 chaos knights are ridiculous in 1K), but the hounds will do wonders for your cavalry, and spawn are amazing against enemies bringing their own marchblockers and skirmishers. I prefer Scyla for the extra movement and MR, but two generic spawns are probably better overall.

Your challenge will be using your infantry block effectively. It is a significant chunk of your army invested in a M4 unit that cannot do much on its own, but can't keep up with the rest of the force. Moving them up one side with the general, while the knights and horsemen and spawn cover the center and other flank, would minimize the chance of them being flanked and broken by faster opponents, and will make it harder for your opponent to swing around, bait your cavalry, flank the, and break them with static CR. Not that it will be that easy in practice, as developing good tactics for making infantry work with cavalry is something the new Warriors players have been struggling with, so give it a shot and let us know how it works.

Also, before you play, read over the rules for Eye of the Gods very carefully, it will save you many arguments in the future.

Marwynn
09-12-2008, 06:58
Wow, really?! Hah, I'm kind of shocked actually. Thanks so much, Marwynn! At first I thought it kind of looked just like a crappier, less focused version of the list Kalec suggested, so I'm glad to see someone actually likes it!

For the record, I quite like it too. It combines a little bit of infantry, which is something I was determined to have in some form from the beginning, and a lot of cavalry, which is something Kalec really opened my eyes to. So yeah, I kinda like it too. Thanks again!

Heh, don't be too surprised. It's a balanced list with enough mobility and flexibility that I'm considering modelling my 1K list on this.

The point about dropping the champ and getting a Mark on the Marauder block's a good one.

Firebreather
09-12-2008, 14:54
Okay guys, thanks muchly. Your advice seems more than sound, so I'll likely take it in regardes to the Knight unit. They're really expensive, and any way I can cut down on that cost and make it a more efficient unit, the better.

Thanks again, with both of you seemingly on board with the list, I'm getting more and more confident it'll work out wonderfully. Thanks!