I only know a few Ork and Chaos swear words

Orks: Zog, Zoggit,
Chaos: their patron gods name

Condottiere
09-12-2008, 06:11
Frak. Close enough.

NashTrickster
09-12-2008, 06:55
From the Gaunt Ghosts series, we have: Feth (Tanith) and Gak (Verghastites)...

kylsnik ironhead
09-12-2008, 07:02
Gak lol sounds like sombody being strangled.

djinn8
09-12-2008, 07:03
Fug or fuggin - from BL "Legion"

MrBigMr
09-12-2008, 07:52
I believe I've come across "slag" in some place, as in "you're a piece of slag." Not to forget that some of the older novels dip into modern cursitory vocabulary. s*** this and all that.

swordwind
09-12-2008, 08:17
Feth is actually a Tanith tree spirit.

The Judge
09-12-2008, 09:41
So that's Tanith only really - it annoys me when other writers use it for people who've never been anywhere near Tanith.

Frak is a good one, already mentioned.

MrBigMr
09-12-2008, 09:50
So that's Tanith only really - it annoys me when other writers use it for people who've never been anywhere near Tanith.
I know plenty of people who have never been anywhere near any native English speaking country and are able to use English swear words. I mean, they're the first words you ever leard from another language. You might not be able to testify your undying love in another language, but you can curse her to the deepest of hells.

Tommygun
09-12-2008, 09:56
Doesn't one of the codex's or 4th ed rule book have a list of slang or swear words in the back of it?

Bloodknight
09-12-2008, 09:58
Yes, last page of the IG codex.

Hasan ibn Sabbah
09-12-2008, 11:09
probably lots of things connected to Emperor and golden throne :D

Nero
09-12-2008, 11:15
I was always fond of 'by the Emperor's ****!'

Phunting
09-12-2008, 11:20
I must say it really annoys me whenever I read one of those stupid words in a novel, it utterly distances me from the book and reminds me I'm essentially reading a kiddie's story. If they really can't get away with saying **** and the like in BL novels, then why can't they just avoid that level of cursing altogether? Really lame substitutes don't make it more 'gritty' and 'real', they just sound stupid.

biggreengribbly
09-12-2008, 12:01
I must say it really annoys me whenever I read one of those stupid words in a novel, it utterly distances me from the book and reminds me I'm essentially reading a kiddie's story. If they really can't get away with saying **** and the like in BL novels, then why can't they just avoid that level of cursing altogether? Really lame substitutes don't make it more 'gritty' and 'real', they just sound stupid.

...so in 38,000 years, on every planet in the vastness of the Imperium, each with it's own culture and traditions, you think they're still going to be using the same curses as you do? I know to a degree they are substituting for censorship purposes, but I still don't have a problem with it.

Phunting
09-12-2008, 12:09
...so in 38,000 years, on every planet in the vastness of the Imperium, each with it's own culture and traditions, you think they're still going to be using the same curses as you do? I know to a degree they are substituting for censorship purposes, but I still don't have a problem with it.Of course not, but the words written in the book aren't in gothic, if they were then we wouldn't be able to understand any of it. It's an English translation using modern vocabulary. Hence the constant use of modern slang and colloquialisms for everything but the expletives.

Maybe if they actually bothered to 40kify other parts of the speech I'd forgive the trend more, but they don't: it's modern English but just without the naughty words. And it annoys the hell out of me...

precinctomega
09-12-2008, 12:26
"Fug" and "fugging" can be found throughout Normal Mailer's "The Naked and the Dead". This was, perhaps, the one thing in the novel that I really hated. Every time someone swore, I was reminded of a publisher too scared to use proper Anglo-saxon.

BL was similarly notable in this respect from its inception - albeit for understandable reasons. However, recent novels have injected greater levels of verisimilitude in terms of strong language; Titanicus being a good example.

...so in 38,000 years, on every planet in the vastness of the Imperium, each with it's own culture and traditions, you think they're still going to be using the same curses as you do?

Do you think they're still speaking English? No, of course they aren't. The language is rendered in a form that's meaningful to us. That should, if we're seeking to achieve the suspension of disbelief, include English swearwords instead of a word or words that serves only to remind us constantly of the editor's red pen hovering above the manuscript.

In all human language, there are certain constants when it comes to swearing: body-parts, taboos, sexual acts (even when these aren't taboos), deities* and contractions.

Contractions are a good source for writers of sci-fi. "Zounds" (God's wounds) and "Blimey" (God blind me) may not be heard beyond the office of the Mayor of London, but everyone knows what a "mo-fo" is, not to mention an "*******" a "ho". Some imagination might be required to get what a "shed" is, but not much.

Substitution words are also useful. Any swearword starting with "f" or "sh" that one can use on a family forum is clearly a substitute for one that one can't. "Flaming", "sugar", "fudge" and, of course, that dreadful realm of "heck" all fall into this category and represent the usual source of swearwords for the sci-fi writer. But, of course, IRL, these words betray a degree of civility, personal control and morality that probably isn't appropriate to those using such words in a war-torn sci-fi setting like 40k. Commissar Cain doesn't say "flaming sugar" if he means something quite different; so nor should be be saying "frakking shig".

An inventive writer will simply concoct new and appropriate words to describe any of the abovementioned categories. The Imperium is ripe with such possibilities.

Contractions involving religious expressions would work nicely, especially now that words like s**t are allowed in the BL canon. I'm looking forward to seeing "Impshit" in a novel ("imp" being a contraction of... you got there before me, didn't you?), in all sorts of possible contexts:

"Get your impshit together!"
"Holy impshit on toast!"
"That is some seriously crazy impshit, lieutenant."

[*"Feth" doesn't stand up to inspection as a deity, despite Abnett's attempt to set it up as one. When did you last hear "Godding", "Jesusing" or even "Christing"? The use of "fething" reveals the reality of the meaing of this particular piece of Tanith slang, whatever they choose to tell their commissar-colonel...]

R.

BrotherAtrox
09-12-2008, 13:25
"Scrapshunt" from Titanicus.

Whitehorn
09-12-2008, 13:35
'Throne' or 'Throne of Terra', most early HH books.

Hideous Loon
09-12-2008, 14:20
Curses derived from the Imperial Creed are always useful. References to the Emperor's, uh, less wholesome body parts are also good, as they show the blasphemous quality of the words, while not being offensive to current-day Earthlings.

Using "Feth" as a non-Tanith curse, as well as "fug/ging" removes this quality, as they are simply placeholders for more blasphemous/naughty swear-words, and something that editors hate. This practice makes us, the readers, more aware of the fictional account, and the fourth wall gets broken beyond repair.

EDIT: In short, what precinctomega said, but less wordy.

Phunting
09-12-2008, 14:32
'Throne' or 'Throne of Terra', most early HH books.Not in the HH books surely, as so far they've all been set before the throne has been built, much less passed into vernacular.

Using "Feth" as a non-Tanith curseI'd say even as a Tanith explitive it does this. It's an obvious substitute for "****", despite Abnett's half-hearted attempt to distance it.

precinctomega
09-12-2008, 15:15
"Scrapshunt" from Titanicus.

I'd forgotten that one. A very good example. The rhyming quality means that you're left in little doubt as to its equivalence in Anglo-saxon whilst, at the same time, it works beautifully in the context of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

The alliterative "c" is also a delightfully imaginative touch. I can forgive Dan Abnett a lot of things for bringing us the word "scrapshunt".

R.

Brother Siccarius
09-12-2008, 16:49
I know plenty of people who have never been anywhere near any native English speaking country and are able to use English swear words. I mean, they're the first words you ever leard from another language. You might not be able to testify your undying love in another language, but you can curse her to the deepest of hells.

There's also a couple of references in the Cain novels to the entire story of the Ghosts possibly being popularized in holodramas.

Of course not, but the words written in the book aren't in gothic, if they were then we wouldn't be able to understand any of it. It's an English translation using modern vocabulary. Hence the constant use of modern slang and colloquialisms for everything but the expletives.

Maybe if they actually bothered to 40kify other parts of the speech I'd forgive the trend more, but they don't: it's modern English but just without the naughty words. And it annoys the hell out of me...

Ever read a biography of a real life war vet? Half the curses or swears in there tend to be military/army colloquialisms for swears, many of them quite complicated and verbose!

Fubar, Snafu....hell I've heard of couple of them used briefly in black library novels!

Besides, you really cant translate curses out of their native language, mainly because they can turn into elongated paragraphs just to get their basic definition across.

BaronDG
09-12-2008, 19:50
We should be happy the pc-minded don't take away the orks zog and zogging...

sartarius
09-12-2008, 19:58
or my all favourite from luko from crimson tears "Guillimans ****"
made me laugh for ages :)

Toramino
09-12-2008, 20:09
I find it pretty pathetic that in novels where people are disemboweled, dismembered blown apart and tortured almost with casual reference the authors have to invent cute sounding swear words. Because real swear words would make the novel completley unnacceptable:rolleyes:

Brother Siccarius
09-12-2008, 20:28
I find it pretty pathetic that in novels where people are disemboweled, dismembered blown apart and tortured almost with casual reference the authors have to invent cute sounding swear words. Because real swear words would make the novel completley unnacceptable:rolleyes:

They use plenty of real swear words in there.

Though it should probably be noted that you can see the same thing in movies television, or just about any other media.

Thud
09-12-2008, 20:46

I love how everyone is talking about the "f-word" and everyone knows what it is, but no one can say it (or write it) because then apparently something terrible happens. Like innocent children's minds exploding, which, ironically, is perfectly fine to show (or describe). :rolleyes:

No-One
09-12-2008, 20:48
i think the funiest i've heard was in a short story i read, in which a nurglite priest nearly got shot and it scared the crap out of him, in the process he yelled "what in Nurgle's infested balls was that?"

amazing...

Godgolden
09-12-2008, 21:11
I lolled No-One.

i prefer very sparing use of real swear words as i do not belive ******* would survive 38 millenia

that and it gets the ol reative juices going.

edit: sorry let me clarify, use of a swear word that is ill-used is so childish and snap me out of the setting faster than a speeding bullet.

like fallout 3 for example...

Xandros
09-12-2008, 21:35
Not in the HH books surely, as so far they've all been set before the throne has been built, much less passed into vernacular.

It doesn't refer to the Golden Throne. "Throne" is more likely a symbol of mankinds manifest dominion over the stars.

Grimbad
10-12-2008, 00:14
Orks tend to use 'zog,' 'zogger,' or 'zogging'.
Literally translated, 'zog' means 'to desert or wander off'.

Kage2020
10-12-2008, 00:21
Canon?

Consistency?

Reasonable prices?

Informative?

Sorry, couldn't resist the more cynical reply. :D

Kage

Phunting
10-12-2008, 00:38
There's also a couple of references in the Cain novels to the entire story of the Ghosts possibly being popularized in holodramas.Ahh, so that's why they read like moronic propaganda, it's because they are! And there I was thinking Abnett was just a bad writer...

Ever read a biography of a real life war vet? Half the curses or swears in there tend to be military/army colloquialisms for swears, many of them quite complicated and verbose!Jarhead, but no others. Still, I'm sure that they are also sprinkled with real expletives too. Regardless, I don't believe anyone could seriously say that they have any reason for 'feth' other than they're not allowed real swear words. All the weak justifications in the Imperium don't change the fact that it's a lame get-out, and as has been stated before serves no real purpose but to break down the fourth wall. I'd prefer it if they didn't swear at all, at least it would allow me some suspension of disbelief and not constantly remind me that Iím reading a kidís book.

Though it should probably be noted that you can see the same thing in movies television, or just about any other media.And that annoys me too. Though I don't think it's to the same extent, other media that includes violence to the level of 40k doesn't generally have to worry so much about naughty language I find.

I love how everyone is talking about the "f-word" and everyone knows what it is, but no one can say it (or write it) because then apparently something terrible happens. Like innocent children's minds exploding, which, ironically, is perfectly fine to show (or describe). :rolleyes:Pathetic, isn't it? I can write "f---" or I can write "****" (which ironically will be asterisked out in my post, but what can you do?). Both have the exact same connotations and meaning, everyone understands I'm saying the exact same thing, yet one is utterly unacceptable and the other could be printed in the Beano. Utter hypocrisy.

Warforger
10-12-2008, 01:03
...so in 38,000 years, on every planet in the vastness of the Imperium, each with it's own culture and traditions, you think they're still going to be using the same curses as you do? I know to a degree they are substituting for censorship purposes, but I still don't have a problem with it.

Oh really? In my BA omnibus they use the words "r@pe" and "B!tch" hardly the reason.

Personally I think swearing is fine, there just words, I mean what's next, a censoring of the word bad?

Orkeosaurus
10-12-2008, 03:23
Of course not, but the words written in the book aren't in gothic, if they were then we wouldn't be able to understand any of it. It's an English translation using modern vocabulary. Hence the constant use of modern slang and colloquialisms for everything but the expletives.

Maybe if they actually bothered to 40kify other parts of the speech I'd forgive the trend more, but they don't: it's modern English but just without the naughty words. And it annoys the hell out of me...You've summed up my opinion on the matter as well.

The only thing I don't mind is references to Christianity being replaced with references to Imperial religion, as this makes more sense.

Saying "God dammit! Oh my god! What in god's name..." would probably have the commissar kindly asking you exactly what this "god" is that you are referring to. :evilgrin:

MrBigMr
10-12-2008, 05:39
What about all the ones used in TSOALR? So far my favourite is "Emperor's gold plated full body massage unit!"

ralphooo
10-12-2008, 06:18
I think Gav Thorpe used 'frag' before in one of his novels. For example 'what the frag was that?'.

Ugh

BrotherAtrox
10-12-2008, 11:13
"Code-wipe", also from Titanicus. I'll agree with the sentiment on curse words. They seem a bit silly. Isn't there some sort of 13+ TOS agreement for this board anyway?

RedStompa
10-12-2008, 15:05
I've always found "By the Emperor's Teeth!" To be amusing, not really sure why either. Maybe has something to so with someone swearing to teeth of their God, not to the God himself.

weissengel86
11-12-2008, 07:05
I find it pretty pathetic that in novels where people are disemboweled, dismembered blown apart and tortured almost with casual reference the authors have to invent cute sounding swear words. Because real swear words would make the novel completley unnacceptable:rolleyes: I find that strange also. Some parents go ******* when they see naughty body parts or somebody saying the f word and yet when little timmy here watches people being blown away with exaggerated violence they dont give it a second thought. Apparently if timmy likes watching people get killed and people going vigilante and commiting a shooting spree he will be perfectly fine but if he sees boobies or wee-wees or hears "derogatory and offensive language" or curse words he'll be scarred for life and have to enter serious psycho-therapy to cleanse his innocent little mind.:wtf:

taffeh
11-12-2008, 07:26
I'd like to see someone use 'by Horus's Middle Talon'

Gdolkin
12-12-2008, 23:55
I find that strange also. Some parents go ******* when they see naughty body parts or somebody saying the f word and yet when little timmy here watches people being blown away with exaggerated violence they dont give it a second thought. Apparently if timmy likes watching people get killed and people going vigilante and commiting a shooting spree he will be perfectly fine but if he sees boobies or wee-wees or hears "derogatory and offensive language" or curse words he'll be scarred for life and have to enter serious psycho-therapy to cleanse his innocent little mind.:wtf:
-"Horrific, brutal violence is okay, as long as nobody says any naughty words". OOOOOOOoooooohhhhhh.... Kyle's mom is a big fat bitch etc..

KharnTheBetrayer01
13-12-2008, 00:04
I seem to recall in "Space Wolf" That one of the recruits tends to exclaim things like "Its colder than Shemaks left buttock" (paraphrased) and "By Shemaks left *!" (again, paraphrased, mostly because I can't remember the exact words)

Makes me wonder who Shemak is, and why Leman Russes bodyparts are apparentally not considered swears....maybe being revered they are only used in a positive light? "By the swinging third leg of Russ, we won!"

*I'm not 100% sure of the Language filter on this site and have no wish to be warned for a quotation, so I'll just say its not his left arm and leave it at that ;)

MrBigMr
13-12-2008, 00:18
"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "*******" on their airplanes because it's obscene!"
-Kurtz, Apocalypse Now

It is crazy as hell. I mean, I know people who haven't cursed much in their lives, and when they went into the army, they turned into sailors. F this and S that and MF. Well, naturally not in those exact words, but the idea should be pretty clear.

Chem-Dog
13-12-2008, 04:52
...and when they went into the army, they turned into sailors.

Are you 100% sure they didn't join the Navy by accident?! ;)

Condottiere
13-12-2008, 06:55
Who gets shanghaied nowadays?

weissengel86
14-12-2008, 16:24
Are you 100% sure they didn't join the Navy by accident?! ;) hehe my thoughts exactly :) Realistically if i was surounded by soldiers and i was infantry in a combat zone and a rpg exploded next to me or we got ambushed i certainly wouldnt say "Gee wiz! those gosh darn insurgents are shooting us!" or " Holy Halloween batman that was a fudging IED!!"

NashTrickster
16-12-2008, 09:48
About "Feth" and "gak":
There's one thing I have to give credit to Abnett for doing with these words. Okay, the reason for which he created "alternative" swear words is ridiculous. But using them to show how the Verghastites and Tanith "got together" when they started to use one another's curses was a great idea...

stompy
16-12-2008, 09:59
just a couple more that haven't been mentioned, I seem to remember in one of the Eisenhorn or Ravenor books, one of the characters insult of choice is 'Ninker'.

Also, in Kal Jerico, and probably other Necromunda stuff, 'Oh Scav!' is used a few times.

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
16-12-2008, 21:36
"By the swinging third leg of Russ, we won!"

TSOLR? I feel I've heard it before...

On a rather unrelated note, I'm partial to the Culture's "God's balls!" as a nice balance between real and unique. Stick some Emperor in there and you're set.