PDA

View Full Version : Just scored a copy of Space Hulk!!

Vic
25-11-2005, 05:34
Well, I have to wait for the payment to clear and then he ships, but I got it complete except for missing 19 genestealers. No big deal, will replace them with the ones from the BOM sets (got three copies of that).

Now I have to find people to play.......

Luke
25-11-2005, 11:11
ill play!:D where are you?

hmm, space hulk was the first game me and my brother got into, back in the day. 2nd ed space hulk. its a damn fine game, especially the superb flamer rules. its my earliest memories of GW and the sole reason my first true 40k army was terminators.

Melchor
25-11-2005, 11:13
Good for you! :D
I just won me a copy of 1st edition Space Hulk a couple of days ago. Mine's missing a couple of minis as well (5 stealers and 5 termies), but they're easily replaced. Unlike the floor boards and counters, but they're all there. :D

What edition did you get?

Bruen
25-11-2005, 11:23
Great :) IMHO Space Hulk is the best game that GW has ever produced.

Luke
25-11-2005, 11:29
well i wouldnt say that. true, its more accesible (well it was) because you had everything you needed for a good gamne right there in the box. but for me Gorkamorka is and always will be the best game ever.

space hulk did have a fantastic ruleset though, and those floor plans were superb, i regret throwing them away for some unknown reason 4 years ago :(

Grimlaw
25-11-2005, 12:51
I won an e-Bay auction a wee while ago for my 2nd edition set, and it was missing all the miniatures too (........... not to mention all the tokens :mad:).

Fortunately for me, there was a fine gentleman on Portent who sold Space Hulk components (and since I already have quite a few Genestealers and Terminators, they weren't a problem).

I am still waiting for volunteers to play a Necromunda campaign, using the 1st edition Genestealer Cult weapons rules (from the campaign book). I intend to do a "cleanse"scenario, as a campaign, where the participants keep what they find, as a reward for cleaning out a recently "abandoned" genestealer cult stronghold.

d4m0s4n
25-11-2005, 13:25
SH is one *great* game. While the rules are simple as hell the game has a depth to it that isn't matched easily.

We've played variants using Eldar, Dark Eldar, Necron, etc.

Vic
25-11-2005, 21:48
It is 1st Edition.

Wish you guys lived in my part of the world ;)

Im in Southwest Pennsylvania, USA

Will be hard to find opponents out here. Maybe I can talk my 6 year old into playing LOL

d4m0s4n
26-11-2005, 02:03
Hey...I live in North Eastern Maryland. That's only, oh, 'bout 4-5 hours away I guess. ;)

robertsjf
26-11-2005, 22:33
SH is what got me hooked. Righ now I'm in the process of upgrading/increasing my mini availability so I can play any of the printed missions and have the required minis available. Crappy thing is the fact that there are only 1 Termie Librarian mini and yet some missions call for 5. 5 of the same guy...

Spacemunkie
27-11-2005, 10:09
You'll need Genestealer for the Librarian minis....

Deathwing is a good expansion as well.

Vic
27-11-2005, 17:13
hmmm, didnt 1st ed. SH come with Librarians, or just Termies?

ratatosk
27-11-2005, 22:59
Deathwing is a great expansion, as is Genestealer. I remember there being a book as well that covered power armour and such but i never got it, and now regret it deeply.. i still play SH sometimes just for fun, some of the missions are great and it can be a real challenge for the marines.

I considered doing a true DW army a few years ago with all the Terminator sergeants and officers having heraldry, and being pure white instead of bone coloured, but never got round to it.

d4m0s4n
28-11-2005, 01:19
I considered doing a true DW army a few years ago with all the Terminator sergeants and officers having heraldry, and being pure white instead of bone coloured, but never got round to it.

if you play a regular 40k Marine force long enough and you'll eventually collect enough Termies to do a proper DW army. Well at least that's what happened to me anyway.

ratatosk
28-11-2005, 08:55
:) i got enough termies lieing around (about 20) for a starting force, plus i probably have at least as many again in various painted armies. Its just that there always seems something else to d first, currently i am going to start a beastman IG army ;D

Grimlaw
29-11-2005, 10:52
You only need 5 terminators to start with, so you are well on your way to enjoying lots of games of SH.

Agent Brown
01-12-2005, 13:02
I picked up a second edition copy at a car boot sale a while ago, still in it's plastic wrapper. Bought it for 5 just as a 12 year old had persuaded his dad to spring for it. Ah, I can still taste his tears...:evilgrin:

Orcdom
01-12-2005, 21:18
SW Penn, what city in WV is that close to?
Steve

Vic
02-12-2005, 15:28
Orcdom:

I work in Meyersdale, and I live in Somerset PA.

Orcdom
02-12-2005, 18:03
i checked mapquest, Somersets about 1.5 hr from Morgantown, there is a store there (independent, Tomb of the Unknown Fanboy) that dont have a big selection of GW yet, they havent been open but a year. but they play 40K on thursday eves and sats they play WHFB i live in Clarksburg about an hour south of that. thats if your in the neighborhood sometime.

i go to Comics Paradise Plus in Fairmont, between Clarksburg and Morgantown
they play there every 2 weeks (saturdays)

sadly the only 2 stores in the state that i know of.

Steve

Teufelskerl
03-12-2005, 06:09
I have a special place in my heart for Space Hulk. I own 4 or 5 complete sets of board peices (from both 1st and 2nd edition), as well as all the blips/tokens/rulebooks/etc. Great game, easy to learn, fast to play, and a real blast.

I used Space Hulk to turn my wife on to miniature gaming 4 or 5 years ago; she's about halfway through painting her own Tyranid army right now...

Frederich

Lockheed
05-12-2005, 20:37
Here I sit with 2 complete sets of Space Hulk (First and Second Ed.) and the Deathwing Expansion. I have far too many genestealer models for my own good (enough to field 72 in my Tyranid army and have a bunch left over).

I'd love to find people to play with. In/around Long Island in New York.

Vic
05-12-2005, 21:40
LOL, I just moved from the area.....Now in SW PA

Baggers
05-12-2005, 22:40
Right you have persuaded me to head off to Ebay right now to see if I can pick a decent copy up.

xerxeshavelock
06-12-2005, 14:31
I have several copies of 1ST Ed and 2 of “nd Ed. I’m based near Bath if someone wants a game some time?

Vic
17-12-2005, 01:24
YAY!! IT's here it's here!! Now, gotta print out some extra tiles. 1st edition Termies are pants btw LOL

Orcdom
17-12-2005, 10:43
cool, i would take a scan of the tiles and go to a print shop and print them on thicker card like the set has so your flooring will match unless you have a printer capable of that.
Steve

Vic
17-12-2005, 21:30
Hmmm, could they do that off of a PDF? And print on the right thickness card? I was going to print it and then glue it to poster board. The tiles that come with 1st ed are pretty thick, but a little on the bland side. 2nd ed tiles look much nicer imho

Steev
18-12-2005, 08:17
It is 1st Edition.

Wish you guys lived in my part of the world ;)

Im in Southwest Pennsylvania, USA

Will be hard to find opponents out here. Maybe I can talk my 6 year old into playing LOL

You live in Somerset? It's too bad you weren't a bit closer to Pittsburgh...I'm quite interested in trying out Space Hulk...if you ever go into the 'burgh, stop by a shop called Phantom of the Attic in Oakland, it's a great store.

Grimlaw
18-12-2005, 11:01
YAY!! IT's here it's here!! Now, gotta print out some extra tiles. 1st edition Termies are pants btw LOL

Please forgive my ignorance, but what does calling something "pants", mean? Is it good or bad?

I recently heard the expression on an eppisode of "Brainiacs" too, and still have no idea.

t-tauri
18-12-2005, 11:56
Please forgive my ignorance, but what does calling something "pants", mean? Is it good or bad?

It means rather poor. The first edition termies were among the first plastics GW produced and they're pretty horrible, lacking detail and any sense of motion. Much worse than the metals of the time.

Grimlaw
19-12-2005, 03:28
Thank you t-tauri.

I used to play 1st edition, and I remember that the plastic Terminators were attrocious.

Vic
19-12-2005, 05:28
Yes, the eagle on the chest looks more like a string of chains with some "bling" in the center, the power fist looks more like a claw, the storm bolters look like bread boxes with barrels sticking out of it, and in order to make a flamer, you just slip a rounded hood over the storm bolter and voila! Instant flamer.

Melchor
19-12-2005, 09:30
They ARE quite dreadful. GW have come a long way since then.

I played a couple of games last night by the way, and we found that game balance is tipped heavily in favor of the Genestealers. And we didn't even use the Timer rules!

We played the first mission (Suicide Mission), and neither of us made it (I came close though :D).
Has anyone got any tips/tricks for the Marine player?

xerxeshavelock
19-12-2005, 12:52
They ARE quite dreadful. GW have come a long way since then.

I played a couple of games last night by the way, and we found that game balance is tipped heavily in favor of the Genestealers. And we didn't even use the Timer rules!

We played the first mission (Suicide Mission), and neither of us made it (I came close though :D).
Has anyone got any tips/tricks for the Marine player?

Play more defensively. You should be able to win that mission and get out again without losing a marine. Spend all your command points getting Sgt up to the fork, once you have that the rest is simple. Don't forget to shoot doors whenever possible.