PDA

View Full Version : The Empire (1500 pts)

Anton
11-12-2008, 20:14
Hello, I am in the process of creating an Empire army, and this is the 1500 point army that I want to field. I intend to first reach 1500 points, and then expand from there. Here goes.

Alright, having received some feedback I have made some changes to my list.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Captain; Hammer of Judgment, Armour of Meteoric Iron, Pistol (General)
Warrior Priest; Enchanted Shield, Doomfire Ring, Heavy Armour
Battle Wizard; Level 2, Rod of Power

25 Swordsmen; Full Command, detachment of 9 Free Company and 6 Handgunners
25 Swordsmen; Full Command, detachment of 9 Swordsmen and 6 Handgunners
16 Flagellants
10 Handgunners; Marksman with Hochland Long Rifle

5 Pistoliers; Outrider with Repeater Pistol, Musician

Great Cannon
Great Cannon
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I'd like you to critizise, tell me what is good and what is not. I have a clear background for my army, and for that reason the Captain is not negotiable. His equipment is, though.

I think the Rod of Power will really serve me well, allowing me to use my dice offensively or defensively as need dictates.

Malorian
11-12-2008, 20:36
The rocket battery is really hit or miss, and you might want to use the points on a different warmachine or something else completely.

Otherwise it's a good start for 1500.

In the future you'll probably find that warrior priest does better (and gets more use out of his ring) if you mount him and join him with some knights.

Marwynn
11-12-2008, 22:39
Would mounting your Captain mess with your background? Because I'd give the AoMI to the WP instead. But it looks like a nice solid list.

Helstorm usually works best in pairs but one can let you demolish some blocks.

Kalec
11-12-2008, 22:53
The priest needs a barded warhorse. The flaggies need to get bigger or disappear completely. Both detachments for the big blocks should be 9 swordsmen in 3x3 blocks.

I would cut the Helstorm to help pay for the other improvements your infantry need, and to pay for a 5-man detachment of missile troops for each swordsmen block as well.

Anton
12-12-2008, 22:41
Thanks for the replies.

I'm a bit skeptical toward the Rocket Battery as well, seeing as it's so random. I included it for fun, because I think its background and general idea is fun. I might very well skip it though.

I realize that mounting the priest maximizes his use, but I simply love infantry. I don't know if it's a phase I'm going through, but I'm just sick of heavy cavalry. I love fast cav though. :p

As for the Captain, I guess mounting him wouldn't mess with the background much, but it's the same thing there. The thought of my characters fighting side by side with the men is just awesome. If I were to choose, I'd rather mount the Warrior Priest, as I really want the Captain on foot.

About rare choices; I don't feel that any of the rare choices are very tempting, especially since you can get Flagellants as core. How do you feel. Neither the Helstorm nor the Helblaster feels essential.

About detachments with missile weapons; are they really worth it. I mean, the little stand and shoot damage they can cause can't make an appreciable difference. How large do you field them, and how do you use them?

Kalec
12-12-2008, 23:13
Missile detachments should be 5-men strong, no more. They are expendable screens if needed, they can flank charge to deny ranks in a pinch, and they can knock off ranks from other infantry units or cause marchblockers to panic.

The captain is fine on foot, though you would probably do better mounting him and giving the priest the armor of meteoric iron because the priest does not have access to full plate like the captain does.

Swordsmen are your best choice for infantry because WS4 keeps most knights from hitting them on 3+, which reduces the casualties they take significantly. I4 gives them an edge against men at arms in combat.

Walls
13-12-2008, 02:51
Overall I really like it. The flaggies are a bit small, this is true. But as a tar pit to allow swordsmen to flank or to protect a flank it can work.

I would likely get rid of the helstorm, beef up the flaggelants and add some gun detachments to your swordsmen... pretty much what everyone else said :)

You could even change your 10 man detachments to 5 man free company to save up some points. People argue as to their use but they get double the attacks everyone else does... volume can do wonders, just ask night goblin players.

I also play all infantry empire (when I do play them!) so I know where you are coming from.

maze ironheart
13-12-2008, 10:01
I say keep the rocket battery as I use one along with 2 mortors and believe me it hits like a ton of bricks it's way better then the helblaster by miles as it dose not blow up alot.

Walls
13-12-2008, 16:47
OH... duh....I, for some reason, had it in my head that it was the helblaster, not the rockets.

Very Altdorf-ian list actually, other then the flaggs.

Lord Dan
13-12-2008, 17:01
Drop the items you have on your Warrior Priest. Give him a GW, HA, and the rod of command.

Break the ten-man unit of handgunners into two 5-man units, and make them detachments for each of your Swordsmen units.

Drop the helstorm completely.

With those points, pick up two 9-man units of militia (the 3x3 blocks, of course) and boost your flaggelants to 18.

Anton
13-12-2008, 20:46
I just read through the detachment rules again and found out that detachments do not get -1 to hit for standing and shooting. Now I can see why they are useful even in small units of five.

Lord Dan - Why Free Companies instead of Swordsmen? And can somebody explain why it is good to field detachments in blocks of 3x3? Is it simply because they take up less space?

Anton
14-12-2008, 20:32
Alright, I've edited my list now that I've gotten some feedback. The main changes are that I removed the Helstorm Rocket Battery, given my two Swordsmen units detachments of Handgunners and increased the size of the Flagellants while removing the Prophet of Doom.

What do you think?

maze ironheart
15-12-2008, 08:26
Alright, I've edited my list now that I've gotten some feedback. The main changes are that I removed the Helstorm Rocket Battery, given my two Swordsmen units detachments of Handgunners and increased the size of the Flagellants while removing the Prophet of Doom.

What do you think?

I would say very good but would be nice if we can see the new list.

Anton
16-12-2008, 19:35
The new list is in the original post. I updated it. :)

ivrg
16-12-2008, 20:44
I think you shall skip that general and instead make the warrior preist the general. Instead bring in a BsB. Use the ring that cast the fiery head from lore of fire. I dont belive in flagellants much since they lost T4, Higher strength troops eat them up. Another i question is what your little detachments of 6 handgunners will achive, why not just throw in another 5 pistoliers. Pistoliers is one of the best units in the empire army. 2 Cannons is a wise thing to bring to a battle.

Kalec
16-12-2008, 22:36
Please, give your priest a mount. The ability to go where he is needed is well worth the price, the extra AS is just gravy.

Slacker
17-12-2008, 03:47
Lord Dan - Why Free Companies instead of Swordsmen? And can somebody explain why it is good to field detachments in blocks of 3x3? Is it simply because they take up less space?

Couple of reasons.

-Free Company get 2 attacks each, so should they do their job and break an enemy's rank, they're still getting 6 attacks on those 3x3 formations.

-The 3x3 formation gives you sufficent numbers to eat a few casualties before combat happens, and, as it's smaller and more compact than a 5-wide formation, has an easier time actually getting into an enemy's flank on the counter-charge.

I wholeheartedly agree on the use of the Rod of Power.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
17-12-2008, 03:54
No knights? They are certainly a pain to deal with.. Solid list though.

Anton
18-12-2008, 19:40
ivrg - As I said, the Captain is not negotiable. He plays an important role in the background of the army. As for the Handgunners, I am quite confident they can reduce the enemies' numbers and maybe even reduce their rank bonus when standing and shooting for the parent unit. As for Pistoliers, they are a special choice and I have already used my three.

Slacker - Yes, Free Companies get more attacks but at the cost of protection. I see your point, though.

DPoC - Nope, no Knights. :p