View Full Version : =I= party 2 plz comment

Inquisitor175
13-12-2008, 01:02
(story not included)

Inquisitor Caius Tibern

Caius is right handed

WS BS ST TG IN WP SG NV LD S
83 78 60 62 84 83 84 83 86 5

Equipment: Force Claymore (counts as Falchion with force ability with no str75 rule but in order to ignore it, it must be used with two hands), carapace armour on arms and chest, flak armour on all other locations except head, Bolt pistol with three reloads

Psychic powers: Psychic Impel, Telepathy, Psychic Ward

Special Abilities: Rock Steady Aim, Feint, Leader

Bounty Hunter Mayer Von Strabo

Strabo is Left handed

42 82 53 52 68 64 68 71 59 4

Equipment: Long-Las with three reloads and two hot shot packs, Knife, Double Barrelled Sawn off Shotgun with ten shells, Laspistol

Special Abilities: Dead Eye Shot, Rock Steady aim

Rogue Trader Celesia Innes

Celesia is right handed

63 74 52 56 72 82 78 74 83 5

Equipment: Eldar Shuriken Pistol with two reloads, Knife, Sword, Flak armour on groin, arms chest, digital Laspistol

Psychic Powers: Detection, Telepathy, Embolden

Special Abilities: Feint, Leader

Swordsman Talos

79 43 71 67 68 79 61 72 43 4

Equipment: Great Sword (again a falchion that does not have the lame STR 75 rule but must be used two handed), flak armour on all locations except head, Knife

Special Abilities: True Grit

kaled
14-12-2008, 21:44
(story not included)You'd be better off including their story - without it all we've got to go on are lists of equipment and some stats. Without knowing their background to put those things into some sort of contaxt then it's almost impossible to comment meaningfully on them.

Inquisitor Caius TibernLooks okay (but without background it's hard to say more than that - even a paragraph would do for a start), he looks like a good all rounder which is probably a good idea if he's your first character. Does he really need three reloads though? One would probably be sufficient. If I were you I'd drop either Rock Steady Aim or Feint (probably the former - he seems more focussed on close-combat) - it'd give the character a clear focus, a psychic-swordsman.

Bounty Hunter Mayer Von StraboAgain he looks okay, Rock Steady Aim fits better here than it did on the Inquisitor and suggests Von Strabo is a hunter who stalks his prey before finishing them off with a carefully placed shot. If I were you I'd give him a bolas launcher instead of the shotgun for capturing people alive (carrying two large weapons like a long-las and shotgun seems problematic - where does he put them when he wants to use his pistol and knife?

Rogue Trader Celesia InnesAgain she's okay; she's a very good shot though and skilled with a sword - I assume her background will explain where she got these abilities? Also, how did a witch get a Rogue Trader licence?

Swordsman TalosWhat happens if he can only use his sword in one hand? For example if the other arm is injured?

Fantastica
15-12-2008, 16:54
I also have run an inquisitor with a Force Claymore, however, rather than do awaywit hthe str75 rule, I gave him a Bionic arm/hand that boosted his strength up above 75 (though not by much) and of course it came with a quick mention in his bio of him loosing it during a swordfight he was in before he became an inquisitor.

I found it worked well as it gives him a weakness rather than ignoring a rule. he still needs two hands to hold it properly, and if one gets disabled he won't be able to hold the sword effectively.

another way you could do it would be to write up a fairly weak combat stim that only boosts his strength by say, 20, but doesn't have as nasty of side effects as the normal stims.

or another option: I notice your inquisitor's already a psyker, you could give him Warp Strength? I don't see any other Biomancy powers on him, but I'm sure if you wrote it in a reasonably beliveable way it could work.

oh yeah, and like Kaled said, 3 Bolt Pistol Reloads is a bit excessive unless he's going to be shooting it out with a couple of space marines.

as someone else on this forum has sigged (their name escapes me at the moment):

If you need more than 20 bolter rounds to bring something down, perhaps you should leave it alone

Askil the Undecided
18-12-2008, 14:40
3 swordsmen (well two and a swordswoman), two psykers, two leaders and a sniper (who for some reason wears no armour.)

That sounds... fun.

I'm guessing the rough game plan for you is something to the tune of sniper hides, trader finds, inquisitor slices, swordsman dices.

I hope there is a good reason in his background for the Inquisitor having both his skill with a blade and his control of his psychic abilities within the top 17% of all humanity while still keeping all his other faculties in the top 40% percent

That sort of commintment to physical and psychic training normally puts a crimp on other pursuits like oh I don't know actually going and doing anything at all except lift weighs with one hand while target shooting with the other, fencing with your feet and throwing tanks with your mind while communing with the emperor and reading complex works of philosphical poetry all the while sharpening you reflexes by dodging shots from a paintball gun.

A way that I try to gauge my character's stats is to add up their base stats (WS,BS,S,T,I,SG,WP,NV,LD) and if it's over 600 it's got to change. This is because 600 is enough to make every stat 65 and have another 15 scattered about.

Your inquisitor's stats come to 703 thats straight 75's with another 28.

Inquisitors are meant to be the best defenders of humanity but they are still human and can't be better than everyone in all respects all at once, that's why they get all the best stuff too.

Inquisitor175
19-12-2008, 21:47
here's new thing with story included. I also took your great suggestions and edited and fixed errors in my article

Inquisitor Caius Tibern

+++MESSAGE IN +++

Dear Inquisitor Sedjunis

No one knows much about him until he became caught up in the Inquisitor, they say his file mysteriously disappeared during an accident, what most know about him is that he has been serving the Inquisition for about eighty years now, bringing many daemons, aliens and heretics to the Emperor’s justice, He’s known to work from the shadows and rarely speaks except to his old master Inquisitor Lord Krawn “who trained him well”, some eye him suspicion, other Inquisitors don’t care, Some even respect for some amount for his work that he’s done. But what I see is a heretic, sulking in the shadows. Not only he’s a Psyker, it’s even rumoured that he harbours experiment of a foul, heretic nature in his castle-residence on the feudal world of Istivaa; I shall continue to investigate into him.

Inquisitor Alexius

+++MESSAGE OUT+++

Caius is right handed

83 72 63 61 81 83 84 81 86 5

Equipment: Force Claymore (counts as Falchion with force ability with no str75 rule but in order to ignore it, it must be used with two hands), flak armour on all locations except head, Bolt pistol with two reloads, Re-breather, The HAT!

Psychic powers: Psychic Impel, Telepathy, Psychic Ward, Fireball

Special Abilities: Feint, Lightning Reflexes

THE HAT!: when ever you have to make a coolness check, add +100 to your score

Ex PDF Sniper Mayer Von Strabo

Mayer lived as farm hand on the agri-world of Giantus IV for 20 before enlisting in the PDF. Where his talent for sharp-shooting arose he also quickly became a scapegoat for the Commissar, Hedrick, which he honed for the next 16 years. When a Chaos invasion came to Giantus he was thrown into the fighting near the capital city Gantsino, the city was quickly turned to rubble and the city fight began. While in a hab ruins he heard a strange voice, telling him to go to a near-by ruined temple. He walked into the building before reaching the lower levels, up on a shadowy balcony he found eight cultist priests with one in the center standing on a ritual seal, which they were using to summon a slannesh greater daemon from a daemon sealed in the sight of the temple long ago by a section of grey knights. The daemon whispered into his ear, promising him power and wealth beyond his imagination, he put his rifle on the ground and saw that his hand shook; he then surprisingly picked up a near-by shard of broken glass. In it he heard the same voice that told him to come there but its image was that of the God Emperor. He told him that he would protect him from the daemon. Renewed with resolve he took aim again, the daemon tried to warn him off but he ignored and fire three times through the sacrifice. Before the dying the sacrifice let a piercing shriek and a great warp explosion ripped through there, turning the building to rubble. When he found his way out of the rubble he linked up his unit, from there he was taken by Hedrick for execution, for leaving his post. But before Hedrick could execute him an Inquisitor by the name of Krawn who took him into his custody, he let him serve him then on for 20 years before giving him to his acolyte Caius on his promotion to inquisitor, in which he still serves today

Strabo is Left handed

42 82 53 52 68 64 68 71 69 4

Equipment: Long-Las with three reloads and two hot shot packs, Knife, Pump action shotgun with ten shells, Laspistol, Flak armour on all locations except head

Special Abilities: Dead Eye Shot, Rock Steady aim

Rogue Trader Celesia Innes

Celesia was a psyker born into a matriarchal rogue trader family, in her early years her mother (her, herself a psyker) taught her how to use her psychic gift. Along with her family she was reputed to be stubborn and refused to quit even in the worst places. Her family also served the Inquisition many times, when she inherited the licence she started by going to the southern rim where she found a crippled eldar frigate, she lead a party in to loot any weapons but in the control room they found a wounded unconscious farseer. She took the Farseer to her ship and when she came to she asked the Celesia if she would transport her to the near-by Craftworld Iyanden, she agreed. When they arrived Celesia was rewarded with some Eldar weapons. She went to many worlds before she came back to her home world of Ivies she got caught up with Inquisitor Caius who demanded the location of the eldar, she refused to give it and a fight ensued. In the end the Caius won, but instead he asked that she join him where she still is at his side today.

Celesia is right handed

63 74 52 56 70 81 78 85 83 5

Equipment: Eldar Shuriken Pistol with two reloads, Knife, Sword, Flak armour on groin, arms chest, digital Laspistol

Psychic Powers: Detection, Telepathy, Embolden

Special Abilities: Feint, Leader

Swordsman Talos

Being born on the feudal world of Istivaa he grew up with his mother Cath and his older sister Alexia, he always wondered where his father was, his mother always said “Up in the stars my dear Talos” When he became eighteen he decided to go out and look for him, He got on a ship operated by a rogue trader by the name Celesia, so long as he agreed to fight for her. In his free time he has always looked for him, following any lead he can get, He’s a determined person who refuses to give up at anything

74 43 76 63 68 69 61 79 43 4

Equipment: Great Sword (again a falchion that does not have the lame STR 75 rule if used in two hands), flak armour on all locations except head, Knife

Special Abilities: True Grit

Inquisitor175
19-12-2008, 21:55
I also have run an inquisitor with a Force Claymore, however, rather than do awaywit hthe str75 rule, I gave him a Bionic arm/hand that boosted his strength up above 75 (though not by much) and of course it came with a quick mention in his bio of him loosing it during a swordfight he was in before he became an inquisitor.

I found it worked well as it gives him a weakness rather than ignoring a rule. he still needs two hands to hold it properly, and if one gets disabled he won't be able to hold the sword effectively.

another way you could do it would be to write up a fairly weak combat stim that only boosts his strength by say, 20, but doesn't have as nasty of side effects as the normal stims.

or another option: I notice your inquisitor's already a psyker, you could give him Warp Strength? I don't see any other Biomancy powers on him, but I'm sure if you wrote it in a reasonably beliveable way it could work.

oh yeah, and like Kaled said, 3 Bolt Pistol Reloads is a bit excessive unless he's going to be shooting it out with a couple of space marines.

as someone else on this forum has sigged (their name escapes me at the moment):

If you need more than 20 bolter rounds to bring something down, perhaps you should leave it alone i know but i didn't want bionics for him. anyway u live canada, where?

kaled
19-12-2008, 22:39
Do you have, or are you planning to build, models for these guys? If so, what models do you plan to base them on?

Inquisitor175
20-12-2008, 00:20
i planned my models so they'd be easy to build, covenant model for Caius, bounty hunter for mayer, jena for celesia, slick devlan for talos, and i'm going to switch their heads around to match the chars, but i'm going to need a sword for celesia and a claymore for talos

kaled
20-12-2008, 08:28
Try the Arcadian Smugglers Ring (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/), someone there might have a spare sword or two.

Do you intend to use them to play Inquisitor or are they mainly display pieces? If the former, what sort of warband(s) do your opponent(s) have? If you don't have an opponent and are in the UK, why not have a look at The Conclave and come along to WHW next time we're playing there.

Inquisitor175
20-12-2008, 21:39
i do plan to play =I= with them but finding ppl is going to be my hardest task, since i live in canada

precinctomega
20-12-2008, 22:18
In BC? I think I have contacts there.

In any case, the best way to find people to play INQ is to have a half dozen models and character sheets and a fistful of dice; take them to your FLGS or wargaming club and say "Who wants to play Inquisitor?"

Do it a few times and within three or four weeks, I guarantee at least three people will be regularly asking to play and of these, two will have bought their own models.

R.

Fantastica
22-12-2008, 13:37
i know but i didn't want bionics for him. anyway u live canada, where?

I live in the Frozen wasteland of Edmonton, Alberta
sadly not that close to surrey.

well if you're opposed to bionics, it still wouldn't be bad to have a reason why the greatsword doesn't need Str 75.

It seems a bit excessive since str 75 is pretty much beyond the reach of 99% of un-augmented humans. It think this is because a falchion isn't supposed to represent a "big" sword, something the size of a Old-school Scottish Claymore would still fall under "regular" sword. I think the Falchion/Evicerator are supposed to represent Anime-big swords, where there's no reason a human should really be able to use them without drugs, mechanical aid, or something else out of the orinary.

precinctomega
22-12-2008, 20:50
Personally, I just completely ignore the whole "can't be used by those with Strength less than 75" rule. It's - with all due respect to Gav - a silly rule. Surely, someone with Strength 74 could use it, even with a modifier to hit?

My new Encumbrance rules are on the Conclave. As melee weapons don't really have a Weight, work it out from first principles. Give the weapon a Weight of 38. This means that it needs someone with Strength of 76 or more to wield it one-handed without penalty. Anyone else will suffer a -1 modifier to hit for each point of Strength less that that when swinging it about.

R.

Inquisitor175
23-12-2008, 00:18
Personally, I just completely ignore the whole "can't be used by those with Strength less than 75" rule. It's - with all due respect to Gav - a silly rule. Surely, someone with Strength 74 could use it, even with a modifier to hit?

My new Encumbrance rules are on the Conclave. As melee weapons don't really have a Weight, work it out from first principles. Give the weapon a Weight of 38. This means that it needs someone with Strength of 76 or more to wield it one-handed without penalty. Anyone else will suffer a -1 modifier to hit for each point of Strength less that that when swinging it about.

R. That does make more sense than the 75 or less rule (if you look at history for example) two handed swords were not that heavy. i have read a bit on that article and i'll look at it again, though i never got the email to activate account for there, though i'd love to join

kaled
23-12-2008, 13:31
Send me a PM with the username you used to sign up on The Conclave and I'll ask our moderator to activate your account.

The same offer holds for anyone else who's having difficulty signing up to The Conclave.