PDA

View Full Version : Returning to WHFB (2250 pts of Warriors)

Primogenitus
13-12-2008, 01:07
Hi, just returned to fantasy after some years playing 40k. I've been dusting off my old mortal chaos army and thrown a list together. My main opponent is starting VC so hopefully it'll be capable of dealing with those scary undead buggers. One thing I really couldn't decide on was if I should go for magic or combat with my characters but eventually settled on this:

CHARACTERS

Sorcerer Lord (395 pts)
- Lvl 4, Mark of Tzeentch, Power Familiar, Rod of Torment, Enchanted Shield, Disc

Sorcerer (185 pts)
- Lvl 2, Mark of Tzeentch, Book of Secrets, Dispel Scroll

Exalted Hero (170 pts)
- BSB, Mark of Slaanesh, Favour of the Gods, Halberd, Shield, Barded Steed

CORE

16 Warriors (296 pts)
- Full Command, Mark of Slaanesh, Shields

12 Warriors (252 pts)
- Full Command, Mark of Slaanesh, Rapturous Standard, Two Hand Weapons

20 Marauders (150 pts)
- Full Command, Mark of Slaanesh, Light Armour, Shields

10 Marauders (92 pts)
- Chieftan, Musician, Mark of Khorne, Great Weapons

5 Marauder Horsemen (96 pts)
- Musician, Mark of Slaanesh, Light Armour, Flails

2x5 Warhounds (60 pts)

SPECIAL

5 Knights (265 pts)
- Standard, Musician, Banner of Rage

3 Dragon Ogres (231 pts)
- Great Weapons

RARE

Spawn (55 pts)

TOTAL: 2247
PD: 10
DD: 5 (+ 1 scroll)

I'm bit worried if my sorcerers will get anything through in the magic phase. My opponent is going to have 7-8 DD (+dispel scroll(s)) and at least two corpse carts with balefire. Alternative could be scroll caddy and 1-2 combat characters. I've actually been toying around with the idea of a Daemon Prince with Mark of Tzeentch and Word of Agony for vampire hunting. Him not having EoTG would be beneficial as he wouldn't have to slay endless unit champions that can be raised again anyway and he could quickly zoom in on the enemys vampires and/or flank charge his strike units.

Any comments/suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Lord Khabal
13-12-2008, 01:27
the mage lord is only usefull if it gets gateway, so I advise you to give him a spell familiar.

Neckutter
13-12-2008, 09:58
i dont like chaos hounds vs VC. they have bad leadership, and wont be needed to screen anything. VC arent known for their ranged attacks.

why does your BSB have MoS? if he is gonna be hanging out with your frenzied knights, he wont need the MoS anyways. no magic banner for him? not even war banner?

and i would make your marauder horsemen khorne, but that is just me. instead of dragon ogres and spawn, i would take a slaanesh giant. just me, though. since you KNOW you are facing VC you can tool up your stuff to defeat the VC magic phase, and their psych. and they are horrid in CC with the exception of cairn wraiths.

Primogenitus
13-12-2008, 12:33
the mage lord is only usefull if it gets gateway, so I advise you to give him a spell familiar.

I agree that a succesful gateway would be godsend but I think some of the other spells could be useful as well. Flickering fire is always good and transmorgrification could put the hurt on any vargulf screaming down the flank. Pandaemonium speaks for itself and call to glory could bolster my marauders significantly. But getting those spells off in the first place is of course another matter. I see your point and will probably revise my characters.

i dont like chaos hounds vs VC. they have bad leadership, and wont be needed to screen anything. VC arent known for their ranged attacks.

My hounds are there only to keep my knights in check and generally just be annoying. Perhaps even bait a charge or two..

why does your BSB have MoS? if he is gonna be hanging out with your frenzied knights, he wont need the MoS anyways. no magic banner for him? not even war banner?

Well, my BSB is not going with the knights but with the 16 warriors in the centre of my line (for 18 total, 6x3). I see your point about the banner though. Perhaps dropping one unit of hounds for warbanner?

and i would make your marauder horsemen khorne, but that is just me. instead of dragon ogres and spawn, i would take a slaanesh giant. just me, though. since you KNOW you are facing VC you can tool up your stuff to defeat the VC magic phase, and their psych. and they are horrid in CC with the exception of cairn wraiths.

I'd like to keep my fast cav in full control all the time (and somewhat cheap) hence the MoS instead of MoK although I agree the extra attacks are tempting. The dragon ogres are present to work in tandem with the knights and hopefully bring down my enemys heavy cavalry as fast as possible and I'm not really fond of the giant. I agree on the magic though and I think I'll have to redo my characters a bit and concentrate more on disrupting his magic and less on casting my own.

Appreciate the comments. Keep 'em coming :)

gunners
13-12-2008, 21:03
All in all... not good enough!
As Neckcutter put it before, you KNOW you are facing VC. The armylist you presented will be butchered:skull:!
A proper line of ghouls og living dead, with proper CR equipment gonna rip your core units apart based solely on CR. Looking forward to prove it to you..
A zombie unit in the back and your warriors may or may not have BSB but they are still going to turn tale...
But nice of you to text me, so i could check out your army in advance:wtf:

Looking real forward to face your "painted" army.. with my "super painted" army:eyebrows:

Maybe in the year of 40.000, but then again... who knows!?!

Neckutter
13-12-2008, 21:37
gunners must know you. *wink*

anyways, if you KNOW youre going to face VC... why not just have 3 blocks of 18 chaos warriors. ive been thinking, and if he plays a heavy ghoul list, 3 units of 18 warriors with the MoN will PWN him. his ghouls hit you on 5s, and you save on 2s. you hit him on 3s, kill on 3s.

how about this:
daemon prince lvl 3 wizard maybe? make him nurgle. with word of agony to kamikaze his general
3 sorcerers lvl 2 MoN to spam the lvl 1 nurgle spell on his general

if all that fails, then you have 3 units of rock hard infantry that his whole army cant deal with(with the exception of blood knights)

just a thought. if you wanted to be a powergamer and make a VC player cry. :)

TonyFlow
14-12-2008, 09:12
I would suggest that you try out that nasty combo of black tongue and infernal puppet... Make him miscast in the first turn and hopefully with your modification of his miscast roll his vampire lord will either die, lose spell (imagine a vampire lord with out invocation or vanhel's:D)and/or end the magic phase. Potentially devastating combo.
I am completely on your side in this. I hope you crush his pathetic vampires... utterly!!! ;)

gunners
15-12-2008, 11:18
I would appreciate if people rooting for the VC a bit more...
Drop the REAL advice and give him ****** advices instead, would be a lot more fun..
I think you should go for large qaunteties low leadership infantry without MoS.. perhaps some hounds and a mix of CC heroes and wizards. So that you CANNOT own any phase..
Your flank: don't have one... Just try to ignore the BG, varghulf or wraiths racing towards your unprotected sides and rear. I foresee no problem what so ever. :evilgrin:

Perhaps a Chaos lord worth 500 p. on food ight also be a good idea, of course he walks on one flank alone.. just taking a stroll.

But just my ideas, wether you follow them or not I'm gonna thrash your sorry chaos ass..
And "brain", Tonyflow. AKA Dane in Beijing stop commenting from beyond our reach, if you got something to say get back to Denmark, and participate in a proper battle:skull:

Cobrak
15-12-2008, 19:56
USE THE HELLCANNON and hope for a missfire ALOT

Primogenitus
16-12-2008, 01:22
All in all... not good enough!
As Neckcutter put it before, you KNOW you are facing VC. The armylist you presented will be butchered!
A proper line of ghouls og living dead, with proper CR equipment gonna rip your core units apart based solely on CR. Looking forward to prove it to you..
A zombie unit in the back and your warriors may or may not have BSB but they are still going to turn tale...
But nice of you to text me, so i could check out your army in advance

Looking real forward to face your "painted" army.. with my "super painted" army

Maybe in the year of 40.000, but then again... who knows!?!

I think you underestimate the raw power of chaos warriors in cc. Doesn't matter if you check my army in advance though. I'll still slap the taste out of your sorry undead mouth anyway.

gunners must know you. *wink*

anyways, if you KNOW youre going to face VC... why not just have 3 blocks of 18 chaos warriors. ive been thinking, and if he plays a heavy ghoul list, 3 units of 18 warriors with the MoN will PWN him. his ghouls hit you on 5s, and you save on 2s. you hit him on 3s, kill on 3s.

how about this:
daemon prince lvl 3 wizard maybe? make him nurgle. with word of agony to kamikaze his general
3 sorcerers lvl 2 MoN to spam the lvl 1 nurgle spell on his general

if all that fails, then you have 3 units of rock hard infantry that his whole army cant deal with(with the exception of blood knights)

just a thought. if you wanted to be a powergamer and make a VC player cry.

As I understand it he plays heavily on skeletons and wights and I'll like to keep the MoS on my units to avoid fear. Also I like to have different things in my army to play around with so 3 blocks of 18 warriors are unlikely. But your idea about the characters looks interesting and I think I'll try to work something similiar into the list... And don't worry I'll make him cry ;)

I would suggest that you try out that nasty combo of black tongue and infernal puppet... Make him miscast in the first turn and hopefully with your modification of his miscast roll his vampire lord will either die, lose spell (imagine a vampire lord with out invocation or vanhel's)and/or end the magic phase. Potentially devastating combo.
I am completely on your side in this. I hope you crush his pathetic vampires... utterly!!!

Thanks for your support! I guess we have a common enemy ;) The black tongue/infernal puppet combo was in my considerations but didn't make the final cut. I think I didn't include it because it was the obvious choice. I'd much prefer to outwit him rather than rely on dirty tricks (hands down, it is a dirty trick:D). But you're probably right it might be my best shot at disrupting his game early on and then grind him into the ground. Just the look on his face when his vampire lords head implodes would be priceless.

I would appreciate if people rooting for the VC a bit more...
Drop the REAL advice and give him ****** advices instead, would be a lot more fun..
I think you should go for large qaunteties low leadership infantry without MoS.. perhaps some hounds and a mix of CC heroes and wizards. So that you CANNOT own any phase..
Your flank: don't have one... Just try to ignore the BG, varghulf or wraiths racing towards your unprotected sides and rear. I foresee no problem what so ever.

Perhaps a Chaos lord worth 500 p. on food ight also be a good idea, of course he walks on one flank alone.. just taking a stroll.

But just my ideas, wether you follow them or not I'm gonna thrash your sorry chaos ass..
And "brain", Tonyflow. AKA Dane in Beijing stop commenting from beyond our reach, if you got something to say get back to Denmark, and participate in a proper battle

More painting, less talking...

USE THE HELLCANNON and hope for a missfire ALOT

Hellcannon could be funny. Although shooting would be less effective against undead it actually has some impressive stats able to go toe-to-toe with many of his units. I would use it to keep a flank together rather than shooting and the fact that misfires might hurt him more than me is just a bonus. It's a real contender for higher point games no doubt.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try to redo my list a bit and then post it some time tomorrow...

Primogenitus
21-12-2008, 16:10
After some thinking and fiddling around I've changed the list a bit. Still not entirely sure on the result, but I think I just have to get a couple of games under my belt to see what works and what doesn't.

CHARACTERS

Daemon Prince (475 pts)
- Lvl 3, Mark of Tzeentch, Word of Agony

Despite what people say about the Prince I'm still determined to try him out. I think he could perform quite well if he just stays away from big blocks of infantry. His main job will be to hunt down the enemy general and support charges from my cavalry.

Sorcerer (190 pts)
- Lvl 2, Mark of Nurgle, The Black Tongue

Sorcerer (175 pts)
- Lvl 2, Mark of Nurgle, Infernal Puppet

Present for the tongue/puppet combo and casting magnificent buboes on enemy vampires.

CORE

12 Warriors (257 pts)
- Full Command, Mark of Slaanesh, Warbanner, Shields

These will form the centre of my line and hopefully grind down any enemy infantry thrown their way.

12 Warriors (232 pts)
- Full Command, Mark of Slaanesh, Two Hand Weapons

With their high number of attacks, their job will be to chew through skeleton blocks quickly. Thought about giving them Mark of Khorne for added punch.

20 Marauders (150 pts)
- Full Command, Mark of Slaanesh, Light Armour, Shields

The standard anvil unit.

10 Marauders (92 pts)
- Cheiftan, Musician, Mark of Khorne, Great Weapons

Not sure if these are too fragile, but the potential damage dealing from such a cheap unit is just too tempting to ignore.

5 Marauder Horsemen (91 pts)
- Musician, Mark of Slaanesh, Flails

5 Marauder Horsemen (111 pts)
- Musician, Mark of Khorne, Spears, Shields

These will go on a flank each seeking the crucial flank/rear charges. The MoK one will probably be assigned as support for the knights.

SPECIAL

5 Knights (265 pts)
- Musician, Standard, Banner of Rage

My only dedicated hammer unit. Is it enough?

RARE

Hellcannon (205 pts)

I'm eager to try out this badass. It could force the undead to come to me, hold a flank and, come the right misfire, mince the brain of any vampires.

TOTAL: 2243 pts
PD: 9
DD: 6

Comments are of course still more than welcome... :)