PDA

View Full Version : Recommended unit size for Dryads

Kahadras
15-12-2008, 06:20
I was just wondering what size of unit people generaly take when fielding Dryads. What people concider to be the minimum size a unit should be, that sort of thing.

Kahadras

DeathlessDraich
15-12-2008, 11:04
8-10 is common. I use units of 8.

Makarion
15-12-2008, 12:05
I tend to use 8 if they are vanilla, and 9 w/ champion if there is a Branchwraith in the unit. I can't see units larger than maybe 12 be useful at all, or at least not more so than creating an extra unit would be.

gogs78
15-12-2008, 12:34
Always 8 for me.
Have never bothered with branchnmph. Can get a whole other dryad for same cost.

BigbyWolf
15-12-2008, 13:17
Same as above- I used to run them in units of 8 with no champ. For 96 points they;re a pretty good unit and can mince lightly armoured troops. Ogre Bulls were alway a particular favourite.

The Inspector
15-12-2008, 13:29
You'll find the minimum unit-size of 8 to be universally the most popular choice. Skirmishers really don't need to be anything larger than that, as they gain minimal bonuses.

The only advantage to large Dryad units would be the ability to absorb large amounts of casualties before becoming useless, or auto-breaking through fear.

FurryMiguell
15-12-2008, 13:32
8... 8 I say!:D

yes, 8. No doubt the best, I look in above posts, and see most agree with me:p

Avariel
15-12-2008, 13:54
I take units of 8 as well without a champion. You do not get any rank bonuses so there is no realy advantage to having more unless you want an extra body or two against a heavy shooting or magic army. Champion can be a detriment in some situations so is left out.

DeathlessDraich
15-12-2008, 14:07
Wow! Are WE players conformists or just very predictable?

Lets see:

Other common features of WE armies:

1) 1 Spellsinger or Spellweaver
2) at least 1 Treeman
3) at least 1 unit of 10 Glade Guard
4) at least 1 unit of Wardancers
5) More than 1 unit of Dryads

The Red Scourge
15-12-2008, 14:55

Nope! Just very very clever :cool:

Seriously, there is no reason to use units larger than 8 for dryads. If you need more, just take more units :)

And there are a whole lot of woody variant list out there not biding by your rules and doing quite well.

BigbyWolf
15-12-2008, 15:47

Lets see:

2) at least 1 Treeman

1. Don't a lot of armies take just 1 wizard? But yes, for WE I do just take a Spellweaver.
2. Not all the time, but ususally...but then I think most people would.:D
3. Not if I'm playing an all-combat theme.
4. I don't own any to be honest...maybe if they came in plastic I might have got some.
5. Another yes here, but at 96 points for 8 S4 T4 A2 models with a 5+ mundane ward, they're easily worth it!

So yes...when it comes down to it you're right in my case...just don't let it go to your head!:p

Matthias Thulmann
15-12-2008, 21:27
3 uits of 8 in my list. So useful. ITP, Fear, 2 s4 magical attacks all for a bargain 96 points. If they die badly hay I have lost less than 100 vps. The damage output of this unit is massive!

W0lf
15-12-2008, 21:36
Always 8. Wardancers 7.

I used to enjoy fielding 2x 8 dryads with 2x7 dancers. Often using dryads as a screen

Jericho
16-12-2008, 03:55
8 is optimum for both Wardancers and Dryads if you ask most WE players. Any more is a waste, and less leaves Wardancers too fragile.

Btw with your WE stereotypes you forgot Standard Alter Noble w/ Helm of the Hunt, Hail of Doom, LA GW shield. And 6 Wild Riders w/ warbanner.

There are 3-5 main builds for Wood Elves, but they have much in common. Most obvious is MSU Dryads and Wardancers. .

sroblin
16-12-2008, 05:49
I get the logic of taking 8, but theoretically isn't there something to be said for building up resilience in the units by taking 10 or 12 so a single magic missile or good missile volley doesn't cripple the unit? Outnumbering smaller units can be useful, too, especilly if your ganging say 2 units of 10-12 (or some other fear causing unit) on a block of 25, after casualties they would autobreak.

With all that said, maybe 8 is the best policy (they usually don't take that much damage, there's no increase of the number of attacks, no bonus CR, etc.), but there seems to me to be some decent reasons to at least question the orthodoxy.

Salnihra
16-12-2008, 15:02
My standard dryad configuration is 8 lady-strong, in 2000 pts games I almost always field 3 units.

Pulsks
16-12-2008, 20:57

Lets see:

2) at least 1 Treeman

1) I don't care for the nobles so I pack in as many spell singers as possible. :P
2)Some times the eagles can be pretty nice too...
4) Depends on my mood really.
Everything else I mostly do. :P

Jericho
17-12-2008, 00:26
I get the logic of taking 8, but theoretically isn't there something to be said for building up resilience in the units by taking 10 or 12 so a single magic missile or good missile volley doesn't cripple the unit? Outnumbering smaller units can be useful, too, especilly if your ganging say 2 units of 10-12 (or some other fear causing unit) on a block of 25, after casualties they would autobreak.

With all that said, maybe 8 is the best policy (they usually don't take that much damage, there's no increase of the number of attacks, no bonus CR, etc.), but there seems to me to be some decent reasons to at least question the orthodoxy.8 is still reasonably tough, since they are -1 to shoot, T4 and have the 5+ daemonic save. Magic missiles are a bit of a problem, but d6 S4 should still only kill 2 a turn unless your opponent gets very lucky. 2d6 S3 is still about 2 per turn as well. Obviously there's room for lots of variation there, but it'll take 2+ magic missiles to cripple Dryads usually.

And at the end of the day you can do more with 3x8 Dryads than 2x12.